STOP--2015/16 Flu Vaccine

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

STOP--2015/16 Flu Vaccine

Post by the truth »

READ THIS LINK before you all run out and get your flu shot this season http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3257969

http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/will-c ... -congress/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: STOP--2015/16 Flu Vaccine

Post by Fancy »

offering just 30 to 50 per cent protection
Better than zero and better than getting the flu.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

not with the side effects it comes with,did you not read the second link
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

first link:
So far, the strains of flu tested by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg indicate a better match on the H1N1 and influenza B strains, but they are not appearing as frequently as H3N2

second link:
In between these two extreme views, however, is where the vast majority of doctors practicing today would probably categorize their position. Many doctors who consider themselves “pro-vaccine,” for example, do not believe that every single vaccine is appropriate for every single individual. Many doctors recommend a “delayed” vaccine schedule for some patients, and not always the recommended one-size-fits-all CDC childhood schedule. Other doctors choose to recommend vaccines based on the actual science and merit of each vaccine, recommending some, while determining that others are not worth the risk for children, such as the suspect seasonal flu shot. -
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

so doctors differ on who would benefit most from the flu vac.
I had a gp who was a believer and recommended it for a family member who had lung issues (seems like a no brainer).
We happened to go to a respirologist at one point, who did a thorough work up, so knew this person's condition very well, and had a new diagnosis, thankyou very much. He was not a fan of the flu vac, and said it doesn't work (not just that that year's vac didn't work).
So everyone can just take which ever opinion they like. for the vast majority it will make no difference, they will survive the flu, if they don't mind getting it. For a few, it might help, for others it won't make enough difference, they could still become extremely ill if their immune system doesn't respond to the vac (elderly, immune compromised especially). For some people their time will be up and nothing is going to save them.

I think the main benefit is that for relatively healthy people, their immune system will (probably) respond to vac, they will not become so ill, and therefore will be less likely to tie up time in the doctor's office, which should be spent with real sick people.
Employers like it because their operations will not be screwed up with everyone getting sick at the same time.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I was actually wondering earlier this week when the annual flu vaccine thread would show up.

I get the shot every year and haven't been sick. I don't know if I would have been sick without it, but I'm on a good streak that I don't intend to stop. Flu causes 250,000 to 500,000 deaths worldwide every year, so if the shot reduces my chances of getting it and passing it on to others who may not be as healthy as me then I see no reason not to get it.

The benefits far outweigh the risks.

I will say I get a kick out of the naysayers who freak out over the risks, but then plug their faces full of crappy food and drinks, seemingly oblivious to the well documented and virtually guaranteed risks a poor diet presents. If you're so worried about getting sick or dying from a flu shot, you should be infinitely more concerned with the health risks from a poor diet you're guaranteeing yourself to be plagued with. Most probably don't exercise either and are idly sitting by while their arteries plug up.

But hey, at least a flu shot won't kill you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fyi- i eat super healthy and excercise lots, that is why i have no need for the flu shot,and you have it backwards its the people that get the flu shot that stuff there faces with crap thinking they will not get sick because they get the flu shot
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Is it preferred for more people to die from flu or to take the risks that come with a flu shot? How many more deaths are we willing to accept? What level of people dying is ok?

I don't ask this facetiously... it's the choice we're making. We can't save everyone. Hundreds of thousands of people are about to die in the next few months. Do we go with the proven effectiveness of the shots (even if it's only 30-50%) or do we take our chances and let nature take it's course?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

to each his own
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Vaccines are not for everybody. What about all those people who LIKE polio? Don't they have rights?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

the truth wrote:to each his own

Wow... can't even respond??? Don't want to face the reality of what the consequences are of what you're saying??? I don't think I've ever seen anyone on these forums back out of an argument like this before.

We didn't even hit the 2nd page before you essentially admitted defeat. I think I might even be disappointed if that's all this thread amounts to this year.
Last edited by Jonrox on Oct 7th, 2015, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

really?? some shots are needed for sure, but flu shots imo are just a money grab
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth wrote:READ THIS LINK before you all run out and get your flu shot this season http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3257969

http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/will-c ... -congress/

you might want to read my links again.jonrox
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I read them again (I also read them once before). Your first link shows that the vaccine has an expected level of effectiveness of up to 50%. And the second one says there's a level of risk associated with the MMR vaccine.

So now I'll ask you again... Is it preferred for more people to die from flu or to take the risks that come with a flu shot? How many more deaths are we willing to accept? What level of people dying is ok?

Hundreds of thousands of people are about to die in the next few months. Do we go with the proven effectiveness of the shots (even if it's only 30-50%) or do we take our chances and let nature take it's course?

You're not willing to accept the risk associated with the vaccine, so what increased level of deaths are you ok with? How many additional people are you ok with dying based on the 30-50% effectiveness rate instead being 0%?

Your way means thousands of more people die in the next few months... GUARANTEED. The vaccine route means more people MAY die or get sick at some time in the future (but probably not).
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Jonrox, is it then safe to say, then, that were you to lose a child to a vaccine response, you would confidently stand up and say the sacrifice of your baby was worthwhile?

I think this angle of the argument is so very limited in value, and I wish we were able to move beyond it and assess the value of vaccinations from vantage point other than the dramatics of death.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Health”