Magic mushrooms to break nicotine addiction

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Magic mushrooms to break nicotine addiction

Post by jimsenchuk »

Magic Mushrooms used to break Nicotine addiction

The challenge to quit smoking can be intense, and said to be more difficult than quitting some of the harder drugs available. Almost half a million American’s die from smoking related diseases each year, making it the largest preventable cause of death. Millions of dollars of research have been churned through in efforts to find successful ways to kick the habit.

Enter John Hopkins University with their latest findings on the matter. A study has been conducted in a carefully controlled setting where smokes were introduced to magic mushrooms three times over two months. With each introduction, a dose of psilocybin was increased.

The Journal of Psychopharmacology has since published the findings which have shown an 80 percent success in abstinence after six months. No other treatment has had a success rate measured this high, including one of the more effective drugs on the market, varenicline, with a measured success rate of 35 percent.

The study has excited the scientific community, but it isn’t the first time the hallucinogenic agent in magic mushrooms has proven its medical benefits. Psilocybin has also displayed itself to be an effective treatment with those suffering depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders, CNN has reported.

“Quitting smoking isn’t a simple biological reaction to psilocybin, as with other medications that directly affect nicotine receptors,” Dr. Matthew Johnson, the study’s lead author and an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, wrote. “When administered after careful preparation and in a therapeutic context, psilocybin can lead to deep reflection about one’s life and spark motivation to change.”

Dr. Johnson continues to research the effects of psilocybin, comparing results to nicotine patches; and also using the MRI scans to “study brain activity in participants.”

http://anonhq.com/magic-mushrooms-used- ... addiction/
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Magic Mushrooms used to break Nicotine addiction

Post by I Think »

Smokers are often not even aware that they have opened a pack, taken a sickarette and lit it without any conscious awareness of having done so.
I knew a heroin junkie who used to say it is easier to quit junk than tobacco.
We're lost but we're making good time.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Guess we better legalize mushrooms now. After all they do have health benefits
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Reminds me of that episode of Family Guy when Peter started doing crack to quit drinking.

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's very interesting research. Ayahuasca is another substance with benefits to help with drug addition.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Iboga/ibogaine is having a huge success in getting addicts off of Heroin,
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

There are some extremely intriguing studies from Spain using Ayahuasca to treat addiction. I think perhaps Ayahuasca works 2-fold on both neuro-chemistry, as well as psychotherapeutically. It wouldn't surprise me if other psychedelics did as well.

Return to “Health”