Weekly Indemnity and Medical E.I.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Demi_55

Weekly Indemnity and Medical E.I.

Post by Demi_55 »

I cannot work right now. I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis in my back, along with other back issues. I have disability coverage through my work which pays me a percentage of my wage. It will be tough for me to survive and I will probably have to go into my savings. I am just curious if anyone knows if I am also allowed to collect 12 weeks of Medical EI through Service BC? It's been 6 weeks now since I've been off work and I never applied for Medical EI since I didn't think that I could collect both.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Weekly Indemnity and Medical E.I.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Other types of income have no impact on your EI sickness benefits, including:

*disability benefits;
*survivor or dependent benefits;
*workers' compensation benefits paid under specific regulations;
*additional insurance benefits paid under a private plan approved by Service Canada (for example, payments for pain and suffering or medical expenses that you receive from an insurance company after you have been injured in a car accident);
*additional sickness benefits paid by your employer from a supplemental unemployment benefit plan (as long as the income, benefits, and additional amounts combined do not exceed 100% of your weekly earnings);
*sickness or disability payments received under a private wage loss replacement plan; and
*retroactive salary increases.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... ness.shtml
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Demi_55

Post by Demi_55 »

Thank you so much for the information. I find it hard to believe that I can collect both. That's great though.
Keylime

Post by Keylime »

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition. My background is employee group benefits/insurance. I highly recommend you have discussions with your HR person regarding the details of your weekly indemnity plan as there are different employer plans. Your HR should be assisting you through this process and with respect to your questions about EI sick benefits.

I'm happy to share some additional information that you might find helpful.

An employer's short-term disability plan can reduce the demands made on the Canadian EI program. For this reason, Service Canada offers the EI Premium Reduction Program to return the savings to the employer and their employees. Some group benefits through your employer may have a "carve-out" or "wrap around" which involves EI integration. Some group plans don't involve EI integration at all. So, it's really important that your HR person is supporting you during your medical absence.

Please note, EI sickness benefits take the position of "second payer" in many instances. In the case of group insurance benefits for sickness or loss of wages, the E.I. Sickness Benefit is reduced dollar for dollar. The E.I. benefit pays disability payments beginning on day 15 of the disability and continues for a maximum period of 15 weeks.

Good luck and I wish you well with your health.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I hope you are aware that there might be surgical options to correct spinal stenosis. The sooner it is dealt with, the less likelihood of long term, permanent damage, and more chance of reversing or at least stopping the progression of damage.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Definitely talk to your HR person.

If you have short term disability there is a good chance your benefits also come along with a "Best Doctors" program. This is a benefit many people do not know about but would likely get you second opinions on your diagnosis and treatment free of charge and with industry leading doctors.

There are sometimes some good hidden benefits people don't know about.

Good luck!

Return to “Health”