Angry Dr Gives Best Response To Sick Note Request

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Angry Dr Gives Best Response To Sick Note Request

Post by coffeeFreak »

Angry Doctor Gives Best Response Ever To Sick Note Request. This Is Genius

Good one!!

http://www.tickld.com/x/wf/angry-doctor-gives-best-response-ever-to-sick-note-request
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Angry Dr Gives Best Response To Sick Note Request

Post by gman313 »

I agree but when you can identify an employee abusing the system I would absolutely require a note. Not as standard practice but for the abusers.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Gman says;
when you can identify an employee abusing the system

I think says fire em.
We're lost but we're making good time.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

^^^
I agree.

If you have an employee who is constantly abusing the benefit, fire him/her. Don't treat all the employees who are not abusing the benefit like children and don't put extra workload on the clinics in addition to needlessly spreading more germs.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

OREZ wrote:^^^
I agree.

If you have an employee who is constantly abusing the benefit, fire him/her. Don't treat all the employees who are not abusing the benefit like children and don't put extra workload on the clinics in addition to needlessly spreading more germs.

That's fine in theory but it doesn't work that way. If you simply fire someone for abusing the sick time system they will claim wrongful dismissal both for being fired without the company discipline policy being followed and for discrimination because of a medical condition. Suddenly all this medical information will show up and because the employer did not follow their policies they are screwed.

If an employee is truly frequently sick they can only prove it by having a doctors note. If they then fail to produce said note they are in violation of your sick policy and subject to progressive discipline.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Just give people 6-12 paid sick days a year that they can't bank. This should be in basic work standards and practices along side with 40 hour weeks and safety protocol.

Don't encourage employees to come in and infect other employees and customers by financially penalizing them for something that they cannot help. If half your staff is feeling like crap - the seats might be full but how is the quality of work? How many more mistakes were made because 8 of your 25 staff were on dayquil and felt like vomiting all morning?

Everyone gets sick. Only societies low end workers are penalized for it.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Atomoa wrote:Just give people 6-12 paid sick days a year that they can't bank. This should be in basic work standards and practices along side with 40 hour weeks and safety protocol.

Don't encourage employees to come in and infect other employees and customers by financially penalizing them for something that they cannot help. If half your staff is feeling like crap - the seats might be full but how is the quality of work? How many more mistakes were made because 8 of your 25 staff were on dayquil and felt like vomiting all morning?

Everyone gets sick. Only societies low end workers are penalized for it.

My employees do get 12 sick days a year. I had one guy call in sick the Monday after the payroll Friday weekend 7 times. Well he wasn't excessive it was an obvious pattern so I put him on sick notes. Guess what, he never got sick again.

Also, you are not financially penalizing someone by not providing sick pay. You provide services to your employer for a pay cheque. If you are unable to provide those services the employer is under no legal or moral obligation to pay you a penny, except for the statutory stuff.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

The company where I work provides 10 paid sick days per year. For years, myself and a few others were almost never sick and most years would take from 0 - 2 sick days per year whereas others would always consume all 10 days.

While I sincerely appreciated this benefit, I began to feel that this was maybe not the most fair system to everyone. I wondered if it may be more appropriate for an employer who wants to provide "sick" days to simply provide, let's call them. "discretionary" days, possibly in a lower amount if necessary. Days for which an employee who is rarely ill but , for instance, getting a root canal or is dealing with a time sensitive minor family crisis or illness of a child etc. and can use the same benefit to cover it without being dishonest.

If I were an employer who was willing to spring for sick days, I would budget for worst case scenario anyways. In other words, I would assume that each and every employee will take the maximum sick days per year, and then ask if the company could afford it. If a number of sick days which seems reasonable could be built into the payroll budget, why should the healthy, honest employees not receive this same benefit since it seemed to me that the majority of employees consumed most or all of them anyways?

Then you could do away with this silly note game.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

OREZ wrote:The company where I work provides 10 paid sick days per year. For years, myself and a few others were almost never sick and most years would take from 0 - 2 sick days per year whereas others would always consume all 10 days.

While I sincerely appreciated this benefit, I began to feel that this was maybe not the most fair system to everyone. I wondered if it may be more appropriate for an employer who wants to provide "sick" days to simply provide, let's call them. "discretionary" days, possibly in a lower amount if necessary. Days for which an employee who is rarely ill but , for instance, getting a root canal or is dealing with a time sensitive minor family crisis or illness of a child etc. and can use the same benefit to cover it without being dishonest.

If I were an employer who was willing to spring for sick days, I would budget for worst case scenario anyways. In other words, I would assume that each and every employee will take the maximum sick days per year, and then ask if the company could afford it. If a number of sick days which seems reasonable could be built into the payroll budget, why should the healthy, honest employees not receive this same benefit since it seemed to me that the majority of employees consumed most or all of them anyways?

Then you could do away with this silly note game.

Yep I like that. I believe KF Aero went from 12 sick days to 5 or 6 personal days. But I think they also throw in an extra 40 hours to fill the wait period for Short Term if you need it - not a bad deal
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

gman313 wrote:Also, you are not financially penalizing someone by not providing sick pay. You provide services to your employer for a pay cheque. If you are unable to provide those services the employer is under no legal or moral obligation to pay you a penny, except for the statutory stuff.

Your employees have only their labour to sell. Themselves.

You can insure your vehicles, machines, property and even your products once they leave your factory to protect your ability to provide for yourself. You can even take out life insurance on your employees and collect if they die.

People who can only derive profit from their labour cannot insure themselves from sickness and thus cannot protect their ability to provide for themselves. They can also not prevent themselves from getting sick.

Do you operate broken machinery at your facility? Do you allow sick workers to work?

Like I suggested, either employers can provide sickdays or they can be issued to workers from the federal government and they can be paid for with business taxes. Protection should be afforded to everyone.

In terms of morality, as a capitalist you do whatever you have to for profit. This was never in question that you have no moral obligation besides to yourself under this current system. Good job giving your workers sick days though.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The last place you'd catch me at if I had a cold is a doctors office.
Ugh.
I'd quit a good job before I'd let an employer force me to go to a clinic.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Atomoa wrote:
Your employees have only their labour to sell. Themselves.

You can insure your vehicles, machines, property and even your products once they leave your factory to protect your ability to provide for yourself. You can even take out life insurance on your employees and collect if they die.

People who can only derive profit from their labour cannot insure themselves from sickness and thus cannot protect their ability to provide for themselves. They can also not prevent themselves from getting sick.

Do you operate broken machinery at your facility? Do you allow sick workers to work?

Like I suggested, either employers can provide sickdays or they can be issued to workers from the federal government and they can be paid for with business taxes. Protection should be afforded to everyone.

In terms of morality, as a capitalist you do whatever you have to for profit. This was never in question that you have no moral obligation besides to yourself under this current system. Good job giving your workers sick days though.

There is plenty of insurance available if my employees get sick. They have a short term and long term plan. The ee pays the premium otherwise it would be taxable.

They are also provided basic Critical illness insurance and can purchase more. There is also insurance through your bank a person can get.

So let's summarize:

Short Term - covers them if they are off more than a week - up to six months
Long Term - covers them if they are off more than six months, two years own occ
Critical illness - provides them 2x their annual salary in the event they are diagnosed with what I call 'a big one' (cancer, loss of ability to complete activities of daily living etc)
Life Insurance - double their salary minimum, 500k max
12 sick days per year

There is no reason anyone needs to be out money if they are legitimately sick and working for me. and it doesn't cost a lot for me. The employee can top up through private insurance to the point they will not need to worry about finances if sick
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I will just add to make my original point that sometimes sick notes are needed.

If an employee is abusing the benefits I provide and I can prove it you are darn right i'll be putting ee on sick note. it doesn't happen often but it happens.

Then the system is protected for those who need it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There is another way that an employee can be fired for absenteeism. It is called "non-culpable dismissal". Usually only applies in pretty extreme cases. http://www.ppwc5.ca/pdfs/NonCulpIWA.pdf

And yes, I have successfully but reluctantly used that method.

Note that the companies I worked for always paid the doctors a reasonable fee for sick notes. Usually $35 to $40. We only asked for notes from the worst offenders - you need to keep very good records.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Health”