Ideal Protein Diet

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Ideal Protein Diet

Post by vegas1500 »

V-Rated wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the Ideal Protien diet?
~V~

I used it as I wanted to drop 20-25 lbs. I had great success and felt and still feel great. What I like about it is I don't consider it a diet, it was a lifestyle change. They do it in phases and the last phase is basically a proper eating plan forever. I know about 4 people that have done it and all have kept it off. PM me with any questions.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I wouldnt call it a diet either. I would call it the proper way of eating.
dorito
Fledgling

Post by dorito »

I began this diet in August 2016. I followed the ideal protein protocol, although I did not buy that brand of food as it is ridiculously expensive. Are used other brands of protein such as pure protein bars, Kirkland protein bars and six star protein powder. I lost 80 pounds by June 2016 and have maintained that weight loss within 5 pounds since then.

It’s all about self discipline, portion control and exercise. Although I’m not following the protocol strictly at the moment, I still maintain a relatively low fat and low carb eating plan
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dorito wrote:I began this diet in August 2016. I followed the ideal protein protocol, although I did not buy that brand of food as it is ridiculously expensive. Are used other brands of protein such as pure protein bars, Kirkland protein bars and six star protein powder. I lost 80 pounds by June 2016 and have maintained that weight loss within 5 pounds since then.

It’s all about self discipline, portion control and exercise. Although I’m not following the protocol strictly at the moment, I still maintain a relatively low fat and low carb eating plan

Are you tired? Whats your energy source to fuel body?
dorito
Fledgling

Post by dorito »

Gixxer wrote:
dorito wrote:I began this diet in August 2016. I followed the ideal protein protocol, although I did not buy that brand of food as it is ridiculously expensive. Are used other brands of protein such as pure protein bars, Kirkland protein bars and six star protein powder. I lost 80 pounds by June 2016 and have maintained that weight loss within 5 pounds since then.

Are you tired? Whats your energy source to fuel body?

No, I'm not tired [icon_lol2.gif]
I have far more energy with 80lbs off my 5'3" frame. I sleep better, walk further and faster when walking my dog etc.

I eat healthy fats (EVOO, etc). I avoid saturated fat, like in premade muffins, etc. I have meat protein (lots of tuna, prawns, chicken, lean pork), tons of vegetables. If I'm craving a salty snack, I will take my favourite crackers and count out 10 or 12, eat them and have no more. I don't eat bread, potatoes, pasta, cereal, candy, pop etc.

But I don't completely deprive myself. I will have a treat at special occasions. One small piece of cheesecake instead to two big ones like I would have last year. Or one corn on the cob once or twice during the summer instead of once or twice per week.

Self discipline, portion control and exercise.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

exFarmerS wrote:I haven't read this whole thread but...

A friend of mine was sold the Ideal Protein diet by a Pharmasave in Kelowna. I know that most drugstores have taken a hit since they quit selling tobacco but really?!? He needed to lose 30 lbs since he was borderline diabetic and was trying to avoid taking insulin. The pharmacist in question knew his history and his meds. Recommended this ridiculously expensive diet. They tell you that you may feel bad and nauseous the first week since your body is "adjusting" and whatnot. My friend ignored the symptoms that he was in distress. His wife became concerned about day 5 and contacted the pharmacist. Everything is great! It means it's working as it should! says the pharmacist.
He was in ICU within 24 hours of that. Hospital said if the wife had waited another 15 minutes to call the ambulance, he would be dead. They saved him but it was pretty touch and go. His blood sugar levels had crashed and his blood pressure as well. His blood acid levels were low (not sure what that means).

I trust pharmacists to know more about drug interactions than my doctor. I know that fad diets don't work but sometimes people are swayed by "professional" opinions. I am horrified that any pharmacy would be involved in a product like this.

One of the first responders, upon hearing my friend's wife story about the diet, called his fellow fireman up to see what was happening. That fireman had also been sucked into buying the diet.

I went on a high protein diet (with fat balanced but not excessive), also because I had signs of borderline diabetes. My pharmacist (who also has diabetes set me up with a glucometer). Pharmacist did not recommend any particular diet because I didn't ask. Worked like a charm, my blood sugars normalized, lost 30 pounds, I did not have to go hungry or exercise excessively. I eat real food. If he was eating enough protein and fat his blood sugars would not "crash" unless he was using too much insulin. But you do have to get plenty of electrolytes. Anyway, weight has stayed off (for over a year now), and I have probably prevented full blown diabetes, or at least can hold it off for years, as long as I keep my blood sugars in line. Earlier comment that you have to have carbs is wrong, but if you eat a few greens each day, you will get carbs anyway, and that is the only reason you need a few carbs (no more than 30g per day). Anyone who is diabetic or prediabetic should read Dr. Richard Bernstein's book "DIabetes Solution", he is a type 1 diabetic who has eaten this way for many years and living a long and healthy life.

Return to “Health”