Protein shakes, bars, and the like.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bleach
Fledgling

Protein shakes, bars, and the like.

Post by Bleach »

Well I can't see my doctor for a bit, to confirm what I might have. I am going to try out having a shake or bar in the morning and for snacks between meals.

The last time I had anything like this, it tasted like crap. Not looking forwarded to it, is there any fairly palatable Protein shakes, bars, and what not.

I work in a lumber yard, so I am active, plus I have my car work to do on the side.(not a couch potato.) I am not trying to do any body building. Just seeing I can temporarily get myself feeling better, and eat something for breakfast. what a PITA.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Protein shakes, bars, and the like.

Post by Always Sunny »

I've yet to find a protein bar/meal/shake that I like. Even if they taste remotely ok, they're way too sweet for my liking.

I know it's not what you're asking about...but Save On Foods makes awesome protein packs. Fresh snap peas, carrots, and cherry tomatoes with hummus, sliced chicken breast, cheddar cheese, and a hard boiled egg. Lots of protein and pretty filling.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

It's a very good option, the problem is I need something fast, easy, and can take temperatures changes. so shakes and bars fit the bill, I hate eating in the morning.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I make a quick smoothie in the morning.

Scoop of protein
Tea spoon of almond butter
Frozen berries, about a handful.
Almond milk or water
I also like to add frozen kale/spinach, but it does change the taste considerably. But I still do just for nutritional factor.

Takes about 2 minutes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Boil yourself up 5 or 6 eggs and have one of those in morning. Great protein and it tastes good (and is a quick meal). Instant oatmeal is also easy, 1 minute and it is done. CA is correct too. Takes a few minutes and a shake will fill you up and give you much energy and goodness. There are hundreds of different ways to make a great shake.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Love Vega Smoothie mix... 15g of protein for only 80 calories. I'll add a 1/2 of banana and 1/2 cup of fruit plus Matcha and water for snack under 180 calories.

Simply Protein have great protein bars, high in fibre and low in sugars and about 150 calories.

No Fat greek yogurt is high in protein and about 80 calories for a serving.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

Thank you for the tips. I am going to grab some of this tomorrow and give it a shot. I am not worried about the carbs, At my work place I lose weight like crazy, if I don't have a big lunch. Over the last few years, I dropped 70LBS.(then my body bulked up 25lbs, Sitting around 260-270.)

Return to “Health”