Addicted to carbs, what worked for you?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
davis123
Board Meister

Addicted to carbs, what worked for you?

Post by davis123 »

I am hoping some Castanetter's have some experience with changing their eating habits to eating healthier and can share what worked for them, I just took the 7 signs you're addicted to carbs test lol ;) and yep I knew it, addicted I am!

A couple of years ago I found out I had osteoporosis and I am only 41 now, I have been procrastinating long enough and want to clean up my eating and also build muscle because muscle is the best thing for osteoporosis, I am not looking to lose any weight at all, just gain muscle. The exercise is easy to incorporate but the eating is my biggest challenge, I LOVE carbs! Pizza, lasagna, rice, potatoes, white bread...yummy! but without it I feel deprived and quite honestly I have eaten like this forever. I know I could google what other people have done but I am interested in hearing what any of you have done to change your eating habits and how you get through life without this abundance of carbs that I am currently eating. Thanks for any suggestions!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Addicted to carbs, what worked for you?

Post by WeatherWoman »

I would not reduce all carbs but make some changes when eating them. We replaced white rice with brown rice and I only serve myself 1/4-1/3 of a cup. Eat whole grains...they digest slower. Avoid white bread.

Eat protein every time you eat: Especially after you exercise and it will help with muscle growth. Greek Yogurt, Simply Protein bars, Vega Protein smoothies, Hummus, nut butters, lean meats.

I replace Zucchini for noodles in some recipes. I have this Veggie twister and can turn Zucchini into spaghetti noodles. You can thinly slice zucchini into noodles to use in Lasagna.

Don't buy the bad stuff. If it's not in the house you will have less temptation.

Don't be scared of healthy fats, they are apart of a healthy diet.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I agree with WeatherWoman. Carbs are important, and you shouldn't cut them out of your life completely. You might end up bingeing if you do cut them all out.

Replacing the "bad" white carbs with whole wheat carbs. Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and brown rice.

Also allowing yourself the "bad" carbs but just watching portion control. If you want to have pizza go ahead, but have a big salad before hand so you will be full after 1-2 slices.
hail Satan y'all
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Your probably not addicted to carbs, but the sugar in processed starchy carbs.

Anyways check out the ketogenic diet, (high healthy fat high protein) you still consume some carbs (under 50 grams) but they come from fibrous vegetables. It takes about a week for your body to adjust, but once it does you wont crave processed carbs or sugar. You'll have natural energy all day (no mid day crash), and you'll lose weight without even hitting the gym or exercising. Its truly an amazing way to eat and very easy to follow.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I too was once addicted to carbs. Here's what I found that worked for me after much testing of this and that... Carbs are simple sugars, when your insulin levels drop, you crave carbs as simple sugars increase insulin levels quick. This increase is only temporary though. In all reality most people don't eat enough during the day.

This is what it was like for me. I started to really look at when my carb cravings would pop up. I wrote down the time and kept track for a week. I realized soon that my pizza, pastry and other bad food cravings came at the same time during the day. So here is what I did...

I began eating 20 - 30 mins before that, pre-planned snacks in right portion sizing whether I was hungry or not. I ate every 2-3 hours in small portion sizing, snacks that were filled with protein and vegetables. I found that I started to eat more and the cravings vanished after about a week... I came off the sugar addiction. As a bonus, I lost weight - a lot of it. I feel better all around. Less joint pains, less stomach issues and I have way more energy. I do treat myself to the odd pizza, the odd pasta dish but it's not a daily regular thing for me anymore

Worth a try.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Gixxer wrote:Your probably not addicted to carbs, but the sugar in processed starchy carbs.

Anyways check out the ketogenic diet, (high healthy fat high protein) you still consume some carbs (under 50 grams) but they come from fibrous vegetables. It takes about a week for your body to adjust, but once it does you wont crave processed carbs or sugar. You'll have natural energy all day (no mid day crash), and you'll lose weight without even hitting the gym or exercising. Its truly an amazing way to eat and very easy to follow.

Totally agree but if you are a hardcore carber (like me) then give it two weeks to get over the "keto flu". You will be super tired and feel like crap then one morning you will wake up with more energy then you have had for years. You will hardly be hungry and will even forget a meal. All this because the fat metabolizes slower. You energy will be consistent all day.

You can get keto stix from any pharmacy for under $10. Then you will know when you are in ketosis.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i find pumpkin and sunflower seeds mixed togther make a nice easy protein snack anytime, buy it at any bulk food place ,will cost less $$$$
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gixxer wrote:Your probably not addicted to carbs, but the sugar in processed starchy carbs.

agree 100% you are not addicted to carbs but the sugar-sugar really is the devil here
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Sugar is more addictive than some - most drugs. There are some good documentaries out there that talk about this very thing.

The next time you open a can of cola or any pop, before you drink it put a glass next to the can answer measure out 12 tablespoons of sugar. Before you take a sip of that pop, think about the fact that you can just consume the sugar in that glass as this is how much sugar is in that pop. To me that's a pretty awful thought.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

My rule of thumb is to avoid anything white- white sugar, white bread, white rice, beer (stick to vodka :)) etc. You need carbs, just proper ones. I do drink milk though.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I love beer so what do you drink your vodka with and how does it compare chemically?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I love beer so what do you drink your vodka with and how does it compare chemically?

Water, or sugar free redbull
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I love beer so what do you drink your vodka with and how does it compare chemically?

Water and cucumber or fruit. It's pretty damn good. It's a light drink, 60 calories. Careful though, you can drink lots pretty quick.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Atkins diet works really well to reduce carb cravings, because if you eat enough protein, fat, and not too many carbs, cravings are greatly reduced, and adequate protein is important for muscle building, as well as reducing carb cravings. Too many carbs just leads to more carb cravings because your body is not getting the nutrients it needs.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Fast from 8PM to 11AM to lower your insuline.

Return to “Health”