Dental fees.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Dental fees.

Post by Poindexter »

Coworker is off today having his cracked molar repaired for $1500. Not sure if pulling is cheaper but I doubt it since additional anesthesia will be required.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Your co worker could have hopped on a plane to Yuma, had the work done in Algodones by a European or US trained dentist and returned for the same or less.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

You kidding, I'm not giving him a week off for a sore tooth. :-X
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Rotten boss
We're lost but we're making good time.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bubalouie wrote:Been quoted close to 10 grand and not one will touch that amount of financing.
Thanks for the info though

Basic care will not cost you $10,000. If your teeth are in as bad shape as you are implying, you can still get something done.
Any Dentist will give you an estimate and a comprehensive treatment plan. You start with the urgent issues, then move on.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I had neglected spending anything on dental for a number of years, Just didn't have the funds and my kids teeth were more important to me... Anyhow...
I went to the dentist on Thursday for a treatment estimate and to have one whole (but infected) and two partial (sheared off) removed. Also some extra sutures because I'm on blood thinners.
I paid 480$ for that and got a full set of xrays done and got given a written quote, to repair some teeth (10) and get a partial denture. Total cost will be really close to but not quite 5k. I also don't have to pay that all up front, I can pay for what is done at each visit and have broken those appointments down into manageable chunks, while still taking into consideration the cost of freezing etc.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I had neglected spending anything on dental for a number of years, Just didn't have the funds and my kids teeth were more important to me... Anyhow...
I went to the dentist on Thursday for a treatment estimate and to have one whole (but infected) and two partial (sheared off) removed. Also some extra sutures because I'm on blood thinners.
I paid 480$ for that and got a full set of xrays done and got given a written quote, to repair some teeth (10) and get a partial denture. Total cost will be really close to but not quite 5k. I also don't have to pay that all up front, I can pay for what is done at each visit and have broken those appointments down into manageable chunks, while still taking into consideration the cost of freezing etc.

Exactly. A Dentist would never demand all the cash up front. Some people here are going for a bit of drama to make their situation sound more dire.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

NO drama here at all. I went , had all the xrays done, the examination.
Was told there is zero point in doing any "fix ups" as there is too much damage and they all need to come out and dentures put in.
When I was called , I was asked if I was sitting down and was told it would be close to 10k.
fisherEd

Post by fisherEd »

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bubalouie wrote:NO drama here at all. I went , had all the xrays done, the examination.
Was told there is zero point in doing any "fix ups" as there is too much damage and they all need to come out and dentures put in.
When I was called , I was asked if I was sitting down and was told it would be close to 10k.

Even if that is the case, it still does not all need to be done at the same time. They could start by taking out the worst teeth a few at a time and have you pay as you go. You also do not need to have an immediate denture. Some people have the teeth removed, then wait for things to heal up before they are fitted for a denture. You could also speak to a Denturist. They often charge less for a denture than the Dentist will. Get the quote for the extractions, then see a Denturist for a quote.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Not that it helps with anyone's issues here, but I'm so glad my kid is becoming a dentist. It's a great profession.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Financing a huge dental procedure such as the sequence of steps described here is the equivalent of giving a loan of thousands of dollars......like financing a car, without the collateral. Yeah, the dentist gets to keep the teeth but.......I have a funny feeling he would rather have the $10,000. :200:

it isn't a given that a dentist would choose to finance that. On the upside, the dentist is financing 10k but probably has 3k "invested" in the venture. On the downside, his time could likely be spent otherwise on someone who could pay or may be more likely to pay.

There may also be an assumption that someone who allows their teeth to get so bad from neglect that they all have to be removed may pay the exact same amount of attention to paying their dental bill.
You and 71 others Like this post
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Sometimes people go through a period (sometimes a very long one) of their lives where, money is just too tight to pay for dental maintenance. I get that, I was in that boat for years. It's only been over the past 7 years that things have turned around to the point where I can finally get this done.

The issue with having all your teeth rot out of your head is that, it can make you quite sick. The last two teeth I had pulled out (before I started on my "fix the teeth plan") were infected and making me feel quite ill. If you can Bubalouie, I'd definitely recommend starting to get the worst teeth extracted first. You can do it slowly over a number of visits. I'd personally rather have no teeth than broken/rotted ones.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

You hit the nail on the head Nom, money was and is still too tight to pay for maintenance.
I know that it can be done slowly but then where does the money come from for the dentures?
I hear you on the no teeth rather than being ill but employment also pretty much requires teeth....LOL.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I guess it would depend what you do for a living?
What job do you have to use teeth for? :200: If you have to have teeth as a job requirement would your employer be willing to pitch in for the teeth?
None of my employee's are required to have teeth to do their job.
~ Terry Pratchett

Return to “Health”