What exactly is "natural"

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

What exactly is "natural"

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I recently stumbled upon a website that offered off the grid retreat cabins for rent and came across the phrase "king sized natural foam mattress" and couldn't rectify my definition of "natural" with "foam mattress"
Anyhow so I went on the internet for a bit of a search and found this:http://www.plasmabed.com/voc-tested/

Tested by Hall Analytical Laboratories (third party independent testing facility), our pressure relieving memory foam layer is:
Made without ozone depleters
Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants
Made without mercury, lead and heavy metals
Made without formaldehyde
Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
No chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
Performance-tested
Durability-tested
Emissions-tested
Content-tested
Environmentally innovative
Analyzed by independent, accredited testing laboratory

So I guess my thing is, ok so it doesn't have all that stuff, but can you really sit there and call it "natural"??? :200:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Poindexter
Guru

Re: What exactly is "natural"

Post by Poindexter »

True, there is nothing natural about memory foam. Anyone who has a bed made out if it know it's supernatural. :)

But seriously, I didn't know they could sell anything without flame retardant, one of the most detremental scams imposed on consumers by regulators for the benefit of chemical manufacturers of all time.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Natural foam Hmmmm......... moss fill mattress naturally forms to your body. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I was all excited when I read the resort had "natural foam" for some reason I thought "sea sponge" or something.
But no... apparently you can call anything natural.... :200:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Naturalish may be more accurate.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I guess a straw tick would be a natural bed, provided it were stuffed inside a cotton or woolen sack.
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The only natural memory foam in the world is made using hevea milk (rubber tree sap).

Only 2 bedding companies in North America manufacture their own foam.
1) Essentia
2) Tempur-Pedic
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

There used to be wool mattresses. Was given one by my 90 year old aunt when I first moved out and had no furniture. Was like sleeping on a big lumpy cloud. Imagine a mattress that has a foot of pillow top, just absorbed you. Hung onto for years and ended up in my son's playroom because it absorbed stuntman leaps softly instead of launching him like current beds. I could see wool mattresses in some environmental retreat, you may wake up with a stiff neck and back but at least you acheived it naturally.

Return to “Health”