Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Re: Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Post by LiamHaddock »

Hey everyone today is 8-weeks after surgery so time for another update for anyone that's still interested!
The last couple weeks have been a huge step forward. I'm still not allowed to move my hip more than 90 degrees but besides that my range of motion is awesome!
My left leg is still weak but getting stronger especially in the last couple weeks with more intense stretches/exercises and rarely using the cane now at all.
My right back, neck and shoulder have been acting up but that's normal when I'm not walking right and kind of falling or throwing my weight more on my right side well walking.I still wobble a bit when I walk but every day it seems to get better as my leg/hip muscles are getting stronger again.
I've started driving manual again and with the civic having a soft clutch it's really not that bad but its not great either, I wouldn't want to road trip right now.
Energy wise I'm doing better. I'm getting really solid night sleeps and more energy through out the day, although most days I still need a nap by noonish.
Tapering off the painkillers slowly is going well but now that I'm being more active some days I have needed to take more but its definitively going down and I'm getting out and enjoying the sun a lot more!
I also just got approved by my physiotherapist on Thursday to start carefully swimming.
I'm heading to Harrison Lake with my cousin for the weekend and just going to relax on the deck at the cabin and do some fishing, swimming and maybe even some kyaking if I'm feeling good!
My physiotherapist is constantly telling me how happy he is with how well I'm doing and If I continue to work hard, he's still crazy enough to think he's going to let me snowboard this winter and not make me have to wait until next winter!
Over all I'm really excited with my progress so far and very glad I got my new hip! I can't wait to see where I'll be in the next month or two! I'll be seeing the surgeon in September for a 3 month follow up and then I'll hopefully be fully recovered!
Hope everyone else is having a good summer as well!
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

Congratulations! You are so close to the finish line it must be very motivating. Thanks for the updates. It is good to read such positive posts. Gives me a lift for the day!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Just got back from the lake and had such an awesome weekend!
Went swimming lots and the cold water felt great on the hip!
Did some kayaking and was even brave/dumb enough to try some light tubing behind the boat!
I'm really impressed with how my new hip isn't holding me back.
I got really tired/sore a few times over the weekend, mostly in the evenings and at times was wobbling pretty bad when walking but I keep telling myself I'm only at 2 months.
It felt really good to keep realizing this hip may slow me down but its not going to stop me and is actually giving me back some of the hobbies I used to enjoy and miss.
I really don't see any reason I won't be snowboarding this winter!
Can't wait until next weekend I'm getting to go up to the cabin again!
water15

Post by water15 »

Before considering knee or hip replacement there can be alternative solutions with regenerative medicine . Before the pain gets too bad see a Naturopathic Doctor who does cell replacement therapy. In Kelowna try Dr Wikenheiser he has been very successful in treating patients with cell replacement therapy
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

water15 wrote:Before considering knee or hip replacement there can be alternative solutions with regenerative medicine . Before the pain gets too bad see a Naturopathic Doctor who does cell replacement therapy. In Kelowna try Dr Wikenheiser he has been very successful in treating patients with cell replacement therapy

not sure what treatments this naturopathic doctor you mention offers...a lot of it is hocus pocus and nonsense in my personal opinion. I tried a lot of things but truth is when it gets to the point its bone on bone grinding away there is not a lot that can be done.. that being said there was one treatment I would've liked to have tried before my osteoarthritis was to severe and thats Regenokine but at this time is still very cost prohibitive unless your rich and can afford it.

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-body-that-heals-itself-20140217

Regenokine is a patented procedure that involves drawing blood from a patient and then separating and treating it with heat to concentrate its healing properties. The incubation process takes up to 24 hours, and it stimulates the growth of immune-regulating substances from the body, like tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-1. Once the blood is ready, it's injected directly into the joint or other source of pain. Since the procedure is noninvasive, it carries little risk of side effects like infections and does not require months of physical rehabilitation. While no one knows exactly how long the relief will last, Wehling says he usually doesn't see patients for years afterward, and in some cases, such as when he treats slipped discs, he is confident the treatment can offer a permanent fix, especially when patients follow injections with Wehling's nutrition and training program. "This is a new, proven way of treating chronic pain," says Wehling. "We see a positive result in 80 to 90 percent of patients."
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Since I haven't done an update in a little while I figured I might as well now.
It's been just over 3 months now since my hip replacement.
Its going really good and my walking is almost 100%, I hardly ever wobble and can walk quite a bit before getting sore now.
I'm going to see my surgeon next week for my 3 month review and should be cleared for all activity and 90 degree restrictions removed. I'm looking forward to being able to start being really active/using weight equipment ect.
I'm still on painkillers which I'm not happy about but are still needed especially when I do over do it and get sore.
Sometimes my hip feels so good I forget its a replacement, I have to keep reminding myself to be careful.
I'm still fighting with low energy but even thats getting a lot better, I'm taking way less naps and being able to go out and do a lot more before getting tired. I'm still going to physio twice a week and just keep doing all the exercises I'm given and looking forward to hopefully getting to snowboard this winter!
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Hey everyone another month, another update!
Its been 4 months now since my hip replacement and every week keeps getting better.
I had all my restrictions removed a few weeks ago!
At first above 90 degrees ect hurt a bit but just kept at it and now I can stand tall, walk, swim, bike ect... with minimal to no pain at all. My hip and leg still get sore at about the 1hr mark of exercise but as muscles continue to get stronger again it's getting better.
I'm 8 days of no percocet/painkillers today!
Still smoking lots of medical marijuana and am going to cut that back to a recreational level next but I'm glad to be off the pills.
It was a lot harder to taper off/quit percocet but slow steady decrease in dosage is what worked for me. I've been over a week now without and feeling pretty good for most part. Sometimes very irritable still and stomach/digestive system still not completely normal but getting there.
The annoying things is chronic sneezing the last few days but apparently from what I read that's a normal withdrawl symptom and could last weeks lol.
All in all though thing keep getting better. I'm so glad I got my hip replaced and if anyone's on the fence, I suggest not waiting! It's so nice to be getting my life back!
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

I just realized I haven't updated this in forever. I'm not on Castanet as much as I once was.

Great news though I'm now 8 months post surgery and pretty much 100% now!!

I went on an ATV tour & Parasailing in Mexico and spent 2 weeks there walking 10-20km a day on average for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years!

Last week I went snowboarding for the first time in over 3 years and I'm going again on Tuesday!

It's so great to be back doing things I enjoy again and if anyone is on the fence or nervous about getting a new hip, don't be it's a long process but if u stay at it and do your physio it will give u so much of your life back if your hip is the source of your pain!!

Thank you to all of you who gave me comments and messages of support on here through the process. Although I don't post on hear as much as I once did, it is a great community on these forums and I appreciated the comments and messages.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

CONGRATULATIONS on your recovery. You are a great resource to refer people to who may be considering snake-oil 'treatments' as opposed to modern and scientifically proven methods of successful treatment. Isn't it grand to be able to do things you haven't been able to do before your surgery?
Chill
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Good job! Thank you for your reply/update.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “Health”