Anxiety group or councillor recommendations?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
flangblangit

Anxiety group or councillor recommendations?

Post by flangblangit »

Ive had sad -social anxiety disorder- for as long as i can remember. Im 57 now, so its about time to do something about it.
Can anyone with experience in this, recommend a councillor or doctor, or group? I know there's hundreds of books out there, but i think personal interaction at least at first would be a good thing, and therapy in itself.
Thanks for any suggestions!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Anxiety group or councillor recommendations?

Post by whatwhat »

I would recommended going to CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association), which is down on Sutherland and Pandosy. They might be able to connect you to peer support groups and councillors. Or even Interior Health on Ellis, the second floor is "mental health". I know they do offer different types of support groups there (I have had clients go there for anxiety support groups too!), and connect you with therapists, and councillors as well.
hail Satan y'all
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I thought SAD was seasonal affective disorder? Awkward to have two disorders represented by the same acronym.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LANDM wrote:I thought SAD was seasonal affective disorder? Awkward to have two disorders represented by the same acronym.

Apparently it has many uses...http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/s ... y+disorder
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Okey dokey, the message is: don't go into your doctors office and demand a treatment for SAD.

You could be told to get a broad spectrum light, be around people you feel comfortable with, stick around your mom, take psychoactive drugs, along with some interesting physiotherapy........who knew?

But, to stay on topic, there are some recommendations at anxietybc.com
flangblangit

Post by flangblangit »

Thanks everyone for the replies and links!
Anyone with personal experience with medications for sad, or even medical marijuana?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

flangblangit wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies and links!
Anyone with personal experience with medications for sad, or even medical marijuana?

Tread lightly on both.

Whats your diet like?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

flangblangit wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies and links!

For this version of SAD, I would think MMJ would be the last thing to use. Getting high as a means of decreasing social anxiety and getting you feeling more comfortable around people seems like a losing proposition imho. It seems like it would have the opposite effect.

Go speak with a professional.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A physician can refer you to Mental Health support. Or, you may be able to call adult Mental Health intake directly and request service.
I believe for anxiety disorders there are a couple of prongs of treatment. One is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and the other is prescribed SSRI medication. There are several different types of SSRI's and each specific to the presenting concern. Medication can make the difference between being able to experience some pleasure in life or not. Sometimes it is prescribed short-term.
Check the Mental Health website for information about how to access their services. They are the gatekeeper for many support groups and offer some one-on-one counselling and referrals to other services.
You have suffered with this for too long. The first step or two will be the most challenging, but I encourage you to do it. There are many with anxiety disorders so know that you are not alone. An anxiety disorder is not a personal weakness and it is not something you can just "get over", so don't let anyone tell you that.
In addition to seeking professional aid, the old remedies of good diet, exercise, sufficient sleep, laughter, etc. should be incorporated (for all of us!). All the best to you on your path to wellness.

https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourCare/ ... fault.aspx
http://cmhakelowna.com/
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I went to my doctor who referred me to USTAT (this was 10 years ago) for a generalized anxiety disorder. I had a 45 minute interview on the phone and they set me up for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. It was the best thing I have ever done for my anxiety. You have to work it and practise and do the homework but I never knew how bad it was until I got help and tools to deal with it.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Stay away from the SSRI's Some have irreversible side effects with no cure, even after you stop taking them.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Agree with everything piecemaker and weather women said. With a combination of different therapies, medications and healthy living people manage their mental illnesses every day. There isn't a magic pill or therapy that will work instantly, but with working with all it can really help. There are many different anxiety medications out there that are "as needed" that work wonders, but the key is to use other therapies first to help.

In regards to gixxer, yes some SSRI's do have side effects, as do all medications. Don't let one person online scare you from using medications. Talk with your GP or psych and get real medical advice on medication that will work best for you.
hail Satan y'all
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

whatwhat wrote:
In regards to gixxer, yes some SSRI's do have side effects, as do all medications. Don't let one person online scare you from using medications. Talk with your GP or psych and get real medical advice on medication that will work best for you.

And dont let one person tell you that they're ok because not all doctors are aware of the problems. SSRI's have dangerous irreversible side effects AVOID them at all cost. Yahoo PSSD (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction)
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

Best evidence is for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and if that doesn't work Cognitive Behavioural Therapy plus an SSRI.

Find a counsellor who does CBT, start from there and be wary of the Google-Doctors that think they have a medical degree because they have done some searching online - listen to the people who have actual training in treating anxiety. It is very treatable, and CBT usually gets a good result. Good luck :-).
caffeine
Übergod

Post by caffeine »

Excellent info here as well: https://www.anxietybc.com

Return to “Health”