Blood testing in the Central Ok

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Blood testing in the Central Ok

Post by occasional thoughts »

I wonder if anyone shares my frustration about our blood testing service provider in the Central Okanagan, Valley Medical Laboratories. The enterprise is a monopoly, so far as I know, other than for blood work that is performed at Kelowna General Hospital. This company must be rolling in profits; it is consistently understaffed for the volume of demand (and that is my main point), and it is not uncommon to have to wait for an hour or more to be called in to finally get the needle. It is especially frustrating for the poor people who have been fasting and who line up starting at 7:30 a.m. for the facility's banking hours opening (8 a.m.) and casual working their way through the long line up so people can have breakfast or coffee.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Blood testing in the Central Ok

Post by vegas1500 »

I know in Ab we can go online and book an appt....can you not do the same here? I've even went online the same day, booked an appt and walked in to the lab and got served before the crowd that was in the waiting room.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

X-rays are now by mandatory appointment, but blood work!!! Hah. But let me say more humbly, not that I've ever heard or been told.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Just out of curiosity, to which of the labs do you normally go? How many of the labs have you tried?

Over the years, we've gone to 3 of them, Tutt St, Lawrence Ave, and the one on Springfield at Gordon. We've found the Lawrence lab has the worst wait, and Springfield the quickest.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I myself have always visited Westbank with the single exception of a visit I did to downtown CofK many years ago where the wait was also atrocious.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Never had to wait more than 30 minutes.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

over the years I have gone to all of them,they are always super busy in the morning , but between 2-4 pm I am in and out in 10 min most times
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:over the years I have gone to all of them,they are always super busy in the morning , but between 2-4 pm I am in and out in 10 min most times

I do the same thing, of course if your blood work requires fasting that could be very difficult.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I go to the one on Lawrence because it has the best parking. KLO is terrible for that and even though it's closer I won't go there.
I don't have to fast very often so that's not a big issue and when I do I make sure I'm there before they open to be one of the first in line. Other than that after lunch is usually better or near closing.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
acrent7

Post by acrent7 »

Valley Lab Location Update:

Blood lab at Gordon and Lawrence is now closed and has relocated to North Glenmore on Kane Road in the same plaza where the IGA, McDonalds, etc is. It also is now open at 7:30 am.

Blood lab at Gordon and Springfield is now closed and has relocated to the Capri Mall - apparently next to the passport office.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Wow! Thanks for the update!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Maybe Westbank is in a class all by itself? Out of sight out of mind, way over here in the west! I did get in once a couple of visits ago without any wait; near the end of the day. I was shocked, amazed and impressed. But my last visit I arrived late in the lunch hour, there were more than a dozen people ahead of me, there was only one tech working, and I had to wait more than an hour. That, I find, is typical (of Westbank).
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I made an appointment for blood work last year, no biggie. (Rutland)
Your bias suits you.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

From the Valley Medical Laboratories just now, after viewing the previous post:

"Do I need to make an appointment?

"A: All of our locations provide services to patient on a walk in basis. There are few tests that actually require an appointment and your physician will usually let you know if that is the case."

Either you had one of the particular tests that requires an appointment, or there is another "competitor" lab in Rutland that I know nothing about that allows appointments.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

occasional thoughts wrote:I wonder if anyone shares my frustration about our blood testing service provider in the Central Okanagan, Valley Medical Laboratories. The enterprise is a monopoly, so far as I know, other than for blood work that is performed at Kelowna General Hospital. This company must be rolling in profits; it is consistently understaffed for the volume of demand (and that is my main point), and it is not uncommon to have to wait for an hour or more to be called in to finally get the needle. It is especially frustrating for the poor people who have been fasting and who line up starting at 7:30 a.m. for the facility's banking hours opening (8 a.m.) and casual working their way through the long line up so people can have breakfast or coffee.

If 12 hour fasting is a problem, try eating a late dinner (9pm) and get your blood tested after 9:00am. The early morning rush should be starting to ease by then
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.

Return to “Health”