Psychedelic research

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Psychedelic research

Post by Gixxer »

I heard a great show on CBC Radio last night about new research being done with psychedelics for addiction, and mental health issues. Very interest research. It will be great to see where this new research takes people.

LSD. MDMA. Magic Mushrooms. The demonized drugs of the 1960's, some of them banned over four decades ago, are back. But now they're on the front-lines of medicine, as scientists around the world explore their healing properties. LSD for alcoholism. Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) for anxiety. MDMA (Ecstasy) for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. IDEAS producer Mary O'Connell takes a trippy path into the world of hallucinogens. Turn on, tune in, and heal thyself!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/high-cult ... -1.3280226

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/high-cult ... -1.3292940

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/high-cult ... -1.3331467

http://www.mapscanada.org/research/mdma ... rauma.html
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Psychedelic research

Post by LANDM »

Thalidomide is back in use too. Lots of things have valid uses as long as we can narrow down the risks.
You and 71 others Like this post
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a great group looking into and continuing to find benefits of psychedelics.
http://www.maps.org/research
Mission

Founded in 1986, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana.

I've used my fair share of psychedelics in my younger days. I found them to be very spiritual, enlightening, eye opening and of course a lot of fun. Now I'm not advocating everyone run out and do psychedelics although I do think adults should be able to if they so choose but thats another debate. Lots of cultures do use psychedelic drugs for spiritual/healing effects. One common one is DMT!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-Dimethyltryptamine
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT or N,N-DMT) is a psychedelic compound of the tryptamine family. It is a structural analog of serotonin and melatonin and a functional analog of other psychedelic tryptamines such as 4-AcO-DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-HO-DMT, psilocybin (4-PO-DMT), and psilocin (4-HO-DMT).

Dependence liability[edit]
The dependence potential of DMT and the risk of sustained psychological disturbance may be minimal based on very limited evidence.[111]

Physical[edit]
According to a dose-response study, "dimethyltryptamine dose slightly elevated blood pressure, heart rate, pupil diameter, and rectal temperature, in addition to elevating blood concentrations of beta-endorphin, corticotropin, cortisol, and prolactin. Growth hormone blood levels rose equally in response to all doses of DMT, and melatonin levels were unaffected."

Historically, it has been consumed by indigenous Amazonian Indian cultures in the form of ayahuasca for divinatory and healing purposes.[3]

There's a great documentary that was done on DMT on Netflix called DMT: The Spirit Molecule
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340425/

I'm glad to see more research being done into the benefits of psychedelics, especially with PTSD and helping people resolve past trauma.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Try as I may, I cannot get my head around the idea that taking acid would be a good idea for someone suffering from PTSD. :132:
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I wonder if it would make me stop jumping and flinching for cover each time there's an unexpectedly loud noise. Maybe I would be immersed in conversation with my lunch instead.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

kgcayenne wrote:I wonder if it would make me stop jumping and flinching for cover each time there's an unexpectedly loud noise. Maybe I would be immersed in conversation with my lunch instead.

I'm inclined to say it could make you jump and flinch more.... not that that's coming from experience or anything.... :runforlife:
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I shouldn't make light of this though. I heard part of that CBC piece and I think I'll listen to it again since I found it really interesting although I also found that it kind of begged some questions too.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

DMT is the smoke able version of ayahausca it lasts about 15 minutes. Ayahausca is a tea and thats what they use in ceremonies. An ayahausca journey lasts 8-10 hours.
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

OREZ wrote:Try as I may, I cannot get my head around the idea that taking acid would be a good idea for someone suffering from PTSD. :132:

Without sounding antagonizing, I imagine the reason that you (and many other intelligent, well-meaning people) can't get their head around it is due to decades of misinformation and brainwashing. Most people hear myths and rumors about psychedelics in their teens, and never take the time to actually research the reality. The most publicly visible users of psychedelics tend to be more or less weirdos, which just solidifies these inaccurate perceptions.

You could read information about how it would be helpful for individuals suffering from PTSD or any other sort of trauma until the cows come home, but here is the basic, distilled version of how psychedelics can be helpful: they temporarily put your brain on a different path that allows you to look at yourself from the outside-in, and also temporarily dissolve your ego. This allows great reflection and an opportunity to consider why you do the things you do and feel the way you feel. It is by no means an instant cure, but generally will set you along a path towards being more insightful and self-aware.

Obviously one must take great care and use discretion when ingesting psychedelics, but one must do the same for operating a motor vehicle as well. I'll admit that's not the best analogy, but you probably get my drift.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Beavis wrote:Without sounding antagonizing, I imagine the reason that you (and many other intelligent, well-meaning people) can't get their head around it is due to decades of misinformation and brainwashing. Most people hear myths and rumors about psychedelics in their teens, and never take the time to actually research the reality. The most publicly visible users of psychedelics tend to be more or less weirdos, which just solidifies these inaccurate perceptions.

You could read information about how it would be helpful for individuals suffering from PTSD or any other sort of trauma until the cows come home, but here is the basic, distilled version of how psychedelics can be helpful: they temporarily put your brain on a different path that allows you to look at yourself from the outside-in, and also temporarily dissolve your ego. This allows great reflection and an opportunity to consider why you do the things you do and feel the way you feel. It is by no means an instant cure, but generally will set you along a path towards being more insightful and self-aware.

Obviously one must take great care and use discretion when ingesting psychedelics, but one must do the same for operating a motor vehicle as well. I'll admit that's not the best analogy, but you probably get my drift.

Perhaps, more of a lack of understanding of how PTSD works and can be treated than believing myths and rumors about psychedelics in my case.

I'm happy if people are getting relief in this way but it's still difficult to understand how so I will do some reading about it now that my curiosity has been piqued.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

OREZ wrote:Perhaps, more of a lack of understanding of how PTSD works and can be treated than believing myths and rumors about psychedelics in my case.

I'm happy if people are getting relief in this way but it's still difficult to understand how so I will do some reading about it now that my curiosity has been piqued.

Unless you suffer from extreme PTSD you'll probably never understand.

http://howtousepsychedelics.org/ptsd/

Return to “Health”