MSP retroactively charging?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
emsalmon

MSP retroactively charging?

Post by emsalmon »

Just looking for advice - not scolding.
I moved here from Ontario longer than 6 months ago.
I know I need MSP but I'm afraid if I fill out my forms with my move date - they'll charge me for all the time I've been here.
Is that something MSP has been known to do?
Do they have any way of double checking your move date? (Ie: if I fill it out as if I moved recently)

Also - I HAVE been to the doctors a few times and they accept my Ontario Health card still.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: MSP retroactively charging?

Post by Always Sunny »

As far as I know they don't go after you retro actively. However, there is already a 3 month waiting period (the balance of the month you arrive plus 2 full months) so in that case you're still under your home province until it kicks in here. Assuming OHIP still covers your medical expenses, they probably don't know you're not a resident anymore, correct?

By "longer than six months" how many months are you talking? I see your registration date here is 2012.
emsalmon

Post by emsalmon »

Quite a few more months than 6 months haha
I started out as a student for half a year but I'll be honest - I've been here awhile
I suppose it isn't advisable to fudge my "recent move date" to prevent them from potentially back charging me
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Why not phone and ask? Probably better than coming on a forum and asking people who don't know.
But, to answer your question (as only an opinion), I don't see why they would back charge you. You weren't insured and they wouldn't have paid if you needed coverage.
You and 71 others Like this post
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

If you are making less money then 45,000 a year (which you might be as you are a student) you can get premium assistance. Depending on how much you made the previous year, you might be paying 0$ monthly anyways.
hail Satan y'all
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't see why they would back charge you, you didn't apply for it, and so you weren't covered.
Now if you somehow managed to access the services during that time, of course you would be charged for it, since using medical services when you haven't paid the premium would be fraud.
However if you haven't been paying into it, you should pray you don't end up somehow in hospital because then it won't be premiums you pay, it will be full costs.
You get what you pay for.
emsalmon

Post by emsalmon »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I don't see why they would back charge you, you didn't apply for it, and so you weren't covered.
Now if you somehow managed to access the services during that time, of course you would be charged for it, since using medical services when you haven't paid the premium would be fraud.
However if you haven't been paying into it, you should pray you don't end up somehow in hospital because then it won't be premiums you pay, it will be full costs.
You get what you pay for.

I have mailed my application is today! Fingers crossed they don't back charge me but I couldn't lie on the application
I assume since they go through Revenue Canada they have access to my employment history.

Thank you everyone for your input!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

If anything, I would think the Ontario medical should come after you as you are no longer a resident. I would say you have made fraudulent claims.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
emsalmon

Post by emsalmon »

gardengirl wrote:If anything, I would think the Ontario medical should come after you as you are no longer a resident. I would say you have made fraudulent claims.

I appreciate that - they were notified awhile ago that I am no longer there.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Depends on how long they've been here and why. OHIP covers a variety of services within Canada depending on the reason why someone is in a different province.

Insured residents of Ontario who travel or work outside Ontario but within Canada are eligible for continuous OHIP coverage for up to 12-months if they meet the OHIP eligibility requirements.

Insured Ontario residents who travel outside Ontario but within Canada for academic purposes and are in full time attendance at an academic institution will maintain continuous OHIP for the duration of their studies if they meet all of the OHIP eligibility requirements.

Typically this coverage (while out-of-province but within Canada) is for insured physician and hospital services only. Therefore, when travelling outside of Ontario but within Canada, the ministry recommends that you obtain private supplementary health insurance for non-physician/non-hospital services.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:If anything, I would think the Ontario medical should come after you as you are no longer a resident. I would say you have made fraudulent claims.

emsalmon wrote:I appreciate that - they were notified awhile ago that I am no longer there.

Then it sounds like you were just plain uninsured while you were here.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

OHIP would cover them for up to a year depending on why there were out-of-province.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

oneh2obabe wrote:OHIP would cover them for up to a year depending on why there were out-of-province.

Yes but it is a permanent move. Within Canada if you change provinces you have the month you move plus 2 months. Yes they will back date and yes you should pay - we all have to.

The month you move date is the date the entire family moves. So if mom moves for a job but dad and kids stay in the old province you aren't counted as moved until dad and the kids join in.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Residency bedevils a lot of people about a lot of things. Driver's licence, car registration and insurance, provincial income tax credits and returns, MSP, Pharmacare, ambulance charges, you name it. My advice to anyone who wishes to listen: play it straight.

Return to “Health”