Eczema

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
mem

Eczema

Post by mem »

I was wondering if anyone that suffers with eczema, have you found anything that works other than the topical creams the Doctors prescribe?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Eczema

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've heard of a number of different things, though I don't know how effective they are. Coconut oil, for one.

My daughter's friend has some really bad eczema - she got allergy testing done, cut some foods out of her diet and is much improved (though it hasn't completely gone).
I haven't failed until I quit.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

There is anecdotal information that applying marijuana in liquid form to the eczema helps however there is no credible medical testing that I know of to support the anecdotal allegations.

Perhaps, if PM Trudeau follows through with his election promise to make THC/CBD marijuana more available the medical field will be able to do credible testing various types of marijuana on any number of skin ailments.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I've also heard from a neighbor who found eczema was related to food allergies in their case. If certain foods were avoided, skin was quite a bit better. So you might be able to smear something on top to make it look or feel better, but unless you get rid of the food (if allergy is the problem), it's never really going to clear up properly.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby Silverstarqueen » Today, 10:46 am

So you might be able to smear something on top to make it look or feel better, but unless you get rid of the food (if allergy is the problem), it's never really going to clear up properly.

Unless the allergy is associated to chemicals or compounds outside of the body, in which case smearing a cover on the skin rash may protect the skin from the allergen.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Hydrocortisone shots. That's the only thing that worked for my brother.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

My boyfriend has/had eczema on his legs. Nothing the doctors gave him really worked. I encouraged him to switch from his usual body wash (Axe or something to the like) to an unscented, moisturizing one. It cleared up within a couple weeks and never came back unless he tries to use the cheap, over scented stuff again. But a couple washes with the "natural" unscented one and it clears up again.

Try cutting things out, either things you use on your body or put into it, and hopefully something will help!
hail Satan y'all
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

What worked for myself was diet changes (trial & error) plus reducing stress i.e yoga, meditation or some form tai chi. Eczema breakouts can be linked to level of stress or major event in ones life.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

try coconut oil,and or emu oil
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

Look into Hazelwood, it is known to help with a list of things including Eczema and is natural.

http://smittenreview.blogspot.ca/2011/0 ... czema.html
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Seabuckthorn products are awesome.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Switch to fragrance free products whenever possible. For laundry I use Arm & Hammer Essentials (perfume and dye free) for sensitive skin. And always use the extra rinse cycle. In the shower Oil of Olay unscented body wash for sensitive skin works OK for me, but may not work for everyone.

Diet is important too, because certain foods seem to trigger breakouts. But as everybody seems to have different triggers, it really is a case of trial and error while you try to figure it out. For me, wheat is a big trigger, particularly whole wheat. If I have the occasional slice of white bread (must be made with enriched bleached flour, not unbleached) I seem to get away with it. But if I have any kind of whole wheat, or wheat bran it sets my eczema off. Tomatoes also act as a trigger for me.

To treat a breakout, I dab organic apple cider vinegar (diluted) onto the open sores, let it dry and then liberally apply Vaseline problem skin therapy (unscented). Must use the organic apple cider vinegar, because the ordinary stuff doesn't work (no idea why this is so, but it is).

Hope that helps.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

I had terrible eczema as a teenager. It went away after adopting a lifestyle and dietary change.
I am... the law!

Return to “Health”