Why Cholesterol pills from your doctor = HUGE scam

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Why Cholesterol pills from your doctor = HUGE scam

Post by Thinktank »

If you are over forty and fat, there's a good chance your doctor will tell you to take statin pills
for cholesterol. These statin pills sold under the brand name Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor are so amazing at generating profits
doctors think 56 million Americans should be taking them. That's nearly half the U.S.population between
the ages of forty and seventy five.

Statins generated $34 billion in sales last year and have raked in a quarter of a trillion dollars since they were introduced two decades ago. Wouldn't it be easier to just change our diet and go for a walk every day? Why do so many people
prefer to take drugs that probably shorten their lives in the long term?

Discuss

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... me=CRESTOR

^ Website showing the devastating effects of statins side effects on people's lives.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Why Cholesterol pills from your doctor = HUGE scam

Post by Fancy »

It's doubtful that a good doctor will prescribe pills if there's no indication they are needed. If one has high cholesterol, then I can see taking something that will lower the chance of atherosclerosis or angina.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-hea ... ns_wont_do
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Thinktank wrote:If you are over forty and fat, there's a good chance your doctor will tell you to take statin pills
for cholesterol. These statin pills sold under the brand name Lipitor, Zocor, Crestor are so amazing at generating profits
doctors think 56 million Americans should be taking them. That's nearly half the U.S.population between
the ages of forty and seventy five.

Statins generated $34 billion in sales last year and have raked in a quarter of a trillion dollars since they were introduced two decades ago. Wouldn't it be easier to just change our diet and go for a walk every day? Why do so many people
prefer to take drugs that probably shorten their lives in the long term?

Discuss

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.a ... me=CRESTOR

^ Website showing the devastating effects of statins side effects on people's lives.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-tei ... 10841.html

statin's are one of the biggest big pharm scams going,yes they lower your cholesterol number, but the problem they cause to the rest of your body are just not worth it

https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/why ... _work.html

http://newstarget.com/2016-01-15-statin ... er-iq.html
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A couple of those websites pointed out to taking supplements to counter an effect. As far as Seneff is concerned:
Stephanie Seneff is a senior research scientist at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She received three degrees from MIT, including a doctoral degree in computer science in 1985. Her research at CSAIL relates to improving communication between humans and computers. In 2011, she began publishing controversial papers in low-impact, open access journals on biology and medical topics that have received "heated objections from experts in most every field she’s delved into," according to columnist Ari LeVaux.[1]
Wikipedia

"The implications of these results deserve careful consideration in light of the strength of the available trial evidence for different types of therapies. As per current guidelines, when tolerated, statins should be the first-line therapy given the large reductions observed for LDL-C, the excellent safety profile, the demonstrated clinical benefit, and low cost (now that most are generic). However, the data in the present meta-regression analysis raise the possibility that other interventions, especially those that ultimately act predominantly through upregulation of LDL receptor expression, may provide additional options and may potentially be associated with the same relative clinical benefit per each 1-mmol/L reduction in LDL-C," the authors write.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 111659.htm
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Weigh the risks and benefits

Although statin side effects can be annoying, consider the benefits of taking a statin before you decide to stop taking your medication. Remember that statin medications can reduce your risk of a heart attack or stroke, and the risk of life-threatening side effects from statins is very low.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... 46013?pg=2

Statins are not for everyone, and there are complementary ways to lower your risk for heart disease. But for high-risk patients, the benefits of statins far outweigh the risks, and statin medications have a very important role in protecting their hearts – and their lives. It’s vital that you get medical advice from a doctor instead of trusting potentially misleading information on the Internet.

http://www.utswmedicine.org/stories/art ... swers.html
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A recent article on the benefits of popular medications taken for Type 2 Diabetes it was noted that there were absolutely NO studies on any benefits. They have not even studied whether or not lowering Blood Sugars has any benefits. They just assume it has benefits. There have been few or no studies on whether Statins have decreased Heart attacks/Strokes in Diabetics.

If true that is pretty sad and being a Type 2 diabetic it bothers me! I have made an appt with my Dr to discuss this with him because I have some of the side effects listed for these drugs and I am not pleased.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This is what Krumholz had to say:
Bottom line: The new guidelines are a marked departure from the era of chasing targets and being agnostic to the drugs you used. The new message is don’t chase targets, know your risk, and — if you need drug therapy — use statins. These principles should guide your discussions with your doctor.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

SSSShhhhhhh. He's back. Don't get him riled.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

the truth wrote:statin's are one of the biggest big pharm scams going,yes they lower your cholesterol number, but the problem they cause to the rest of your body are just not worth it

People have a choice. They can lose some weigh, or they can take drugs given to them
by their doctor, which is the easier thing to do.

But the pills they get from their doctor cause side effects. Side effects
is a nice way of saying the pills damage your liver, and screw up the rest of your body.

This is one of the things statins do:
Reduction in the benefits of exercise. Exercise increases the activity and numbers of mitochondria, cells’ “power plants” that process sugars and fat. The study found that with statin use, mitochondrial activity actually decreases with exercise.

I've been watching the effects of statins on my friend for four years. At first I didn't know anything
about Crestor, the drug he's taking, but then I decided to find out more about that cholesterol drug
when I saw his health deteriorating badly.

It's insane.

Statins generated $34 billion in sales last year and have raked in a quarter of a trillion dollars since they were introduced two decades ago.
http://www.bensprostate.com/the-shockin ... tins-drug/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:People have a choice. They can lose some weigh, or they can take drugs given to them
by their doctor, which is the easier thing to do.

Don't ignore the thin people who have high cholesterol - it's certainly not advisable to ask them to lose weight.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here's a plan, if you don't currently own a shot glass then go out and get one. Then few times a day fill it with apple cider vinegar & just shoot it back.
Yes, its about as pleasant as gargling with original listerine. In studies it shows a lowering of the bad cholesterol.
There is a thread in this section about it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/12/high-cholesterol-does-not-cause-heart-disease-new-research-finds/

Guess the medical community is not all in agreement according to the link you posted:
But Professor Colin Baigent, an epidemiologist at Oxford University, said the new study had “serious weaknesses and, as a consequence, has reached completely the wrong conclusion”.

Another sceptic, consultant cardiologist Dr Tim Chico, said he would be more convinced by randomised study where some patients have their cholesterol lowered using a drug, such as a stain, while others receive a placebo.

He said: “There have been several studies that tested whether higher cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol in elderly patients and observing whether this reduces their risk of heart disease.

“These have shown that lowering cholesterol using a drug does reduce the risk of heart disease in the elderly, and I find this more compelling than the data in the current study.”

Return to “Health”