Lice/nit help!

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Lice/nit help!

Post by WeatherWoman »

I need to know what the BEST comb is and where to find it.

The current comb isn't catching all the nits and I am struggling to get them out of her very fine hair.

TIA
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Re: Lice/nit help!

Post by Nasturtium »

WeatherWoman wrote:I need to know what the BEST comb is and where to find it.

The current comb isn't catching all the nits and I am struggling to get them out of her very fine hair.

TIA

Drugstore have them with the shampoo
We leak as rivers
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

yes but the comb isn't working.

There is newer stuff on the market that isn't a pesticide called Resultz which completely killed all the live bugs but the nits are are so small they aren't being picked up by the comb the pharmacist gave us.

I am spending 2 hours a day in three sessions picking nits.

I am looking for real experience only please.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Ohhhh I've been in this position. grrrr. Look for the comb with the blue handle and the stainless steel tines. Get good reading glasses and a bright light.

I recommend non chemical warfare:

1. Use a flat iron and style the hair getting as close to the scalp as safely tolerable. Fryyyyy dem beeeches.
2. Apply tea tree oil and a nice conditioner to the styled hair to make it easy to go through with the comb.
3. Squish the nits you can see with tweezers (Revlon angled ones are the best); you can actually hear the death-pop. The comb won't get them all.
4. Suffocate the live buggers that you missed (yes, you will miss some) with a 1/2 tea tree and 1/2 coconut oil mixture massaged into the hair and left overnight with a shower cap. (tea tree, which kills adults, alone is too harsh on the scalp)
5. The next day: shampoo, vinegar rinse, shampoo & condition.

Repeat in one week.

Head lice don't like coconut, Organix is a high quality coconut shampoo and conditioner available at most stores, Shoppers has it, I believe.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Thank you Kgc!

Super helpful.

She doesn't seem to have any more live ones...the ones I missed on day one, climbed to the top of her head to die which was weird looking to find a pile of dead lice and I haven't seen any since.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

A fantastic natural treatment for lice, ants, fleas, worms, parasites etc. is Diatamaceious Earth food grade. This stuff is truly great. It kills practically every bug there is and yet does not harm humans animals. When applying you want to treat it like a baby powder or talc. Gently work it in and don't vigorousy rub it so it creates a dust plume. I learned about DE when my pets got fleas for the first time a year ago. I did not want to get any of the chemical flea treatments from the Vet so this began my research. I bought some, applied it to my pets and areas around the house where they layed/slept and within about 3 days not a flea in sight. Now as a preventative I apply it to the door jambs starting in the spring. This year, no fleas at all.

http://www.ecobugdoctor.com/blog/diatom ... ory-legend

http://richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Return to “Health”