OCD treatment

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Even Steven
Guru

OCD treatment

Post by Even Steven »

Question.

I'm pretty sure I have OCD (found out through self testing available online and just watching my behavioural patterns). I'm still fairly young (mid 30's), and I'm pretty sure it's getting worse as I age. So, I'd love to address it but not sure how. The thought of going to a 12-step meeting and "accepting my powerlessness" is rather revolting though.

Is OCD serious enough condition to bring up with our family doctor to get a referral to a therapist? Or is it one of those things they're most likely roll their eyes until it gets much worse and I should address it in some other way?
Bleach
Fledgling

Re: OCD treatment

Post by Bleach »

does it impact you life? if so talk to your family doc. the forums are not the best place for medical advice.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh no, I wasn't asking for medical advice, I was simply wondering if this is the type of thing one can approach a doctor. I guess it all depends on severity.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Even Steven wrote:Oh no, I wasn't asking for medical advice, I was simply wondering if this is the type of thing one can approach a doctor. I guess it all depends on severity.

Yes. See your doctor.

I was having panic attacks and went to my doctor who referred to an emergency program and did Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety I didn't realize how back my anxiety was until I got treatment. best decision I ever made.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

You could either talk to your GP, or mental health down on Ellis in the Interior Health building (second floor). They offer a 30 minute walk in counselling session.

I would recommend talking to someone about it though, even if it isn't severe or negatively affecting your life. Stress and hard times in life can bring on/worsen mental illness symptoms. Not saying you're life is going to get stressful anytime soon, but incase for whatever reason, your symproms do become more severe it may be benifical to have a support system and appropriate coping mechanisms.
hail Satan y'all
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

There might be medications which could reduce your symptoms. Even if you don't want medication, something like Cognitive Behavioral therapy helps manage symptoms and bring them to a more manageable level. So yes, I think your doctor could refer you to something like that, if you can't find it on your own. That type of therapy is especially helpful if started before the symptoms become overwhelming, but are annoying enough to be of concern.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Even Steven wrote:Oh no, I wasn't asking for medical advice, I was simply wondering if this is the type of thing one can approach a doctor. I guess it all depends on severity.

I also have OCD among other things. After like 2 decades of trying to find help here, I was able to find it by talking to GPs at that walk-in clinic on the Westside. I think it's just called Westside Medical. Both Dr. Muendel and Dr. McNern, despite being GPs, seem to know a lot about psychiatric disorders. They don't push medications until they fee it's absolutely necessary either and provide a lot of practical advice.

That health place on Ellis really doesn't offer much help. These "consultations" usually just involve filling out questionnaires. There's some sort of anxiety / mental illness group that happens there, but it's an extremely short program and most if not all of the information can be found by simple Google searches. I remember getting a lot of ridiculously basic worksheets from psychologytools.com

Just my perspective, but if you're going to see a psychiatrist stay far away from Paul Latimer.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

i would look for a therapist that knows about OCD and does CBT. they would be more useful than a doctor unless you feel it's severe enough to warrant medication in which case a psychiatrist would be best to see for that side of it.

there is a group therapy program offered through interior health for anxiety disorders, but i personally don't know much about it. it might include access to a psychiatrist and maybe also a psychologist and/or therapist one on one for a certain amount of time. i think it is all time limited though.

Return to “Health”