50%
No, but I plan to get one
No votes
No, I will not be getting a flu shot this year
50%

Total votes: 20

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Have you gotten a flu shot this year?

Post by Fancy »

Have to make the time and, as I said, I'm not putting others at risk.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I'm on the fence as to whether or not the flu shot is effective. I know of two times in the past 20 years that I got the flu, and both times were before I started taking the flu shot. I've been taking the flu shot for the past 3 years and not got the flu. Doesn't mean I would have got it had I not got the shot. Likewise, getting it twice in 20 years means that there were 18 years that I didn't get the shot and didn't get the flu.

All that said, I work on the front line, handling sick patients and I work at a hospital in another job. With kids at home and elderly parents, I see little risk in taking the flu shot and I see potential benefits. Will it ever help me or my family, or the patients I see? Dunno.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

So far my daughter has been down with it, and my boss brought his daughter to work one day not realizing she had it (she slept all the time she was there, poor thing; dad had no sitter and had to come in to complete reviews or we wouldn't meet the deadlines on a few jobs). I have seen more people getting it more this year than I have other years, and considering how easily I normally catch it? I'm glad I got mine.

So far, no flu for me :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Fancy wrote:We are dragging our feet right now [color=#800000]because[/color] we don't qualify (will have to pay for it).

Really? You consider the cost of the flu shot to be significant? Wow.

I wonder how many other Canadians get a flu shot because it's "FREE." Canada's one of the richest countries in the world. We have $trillions of dollars worth of resources. Our country should pay everyone with kids under five years old a subsidy of $500 to be used on nutritious food - the best and smartest way for those kids to avoid getting the flu. Instead wealthy Canada subsidizes the cheapest most insane method known to man - it costs a measly 50 cents to manufacture a flu vaccine and our cheap *bleep* government wants every child under five years old to get a flu shot. That's so absurd.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Really? You consider the cost of the flu shot to be significant? Wow.

Wow is right - didn't say anything of the sort. Those that require the flu shot get first dibs. I'm more inclined to get the shingles shot.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Here in Nova Scotia the flu shot is given free to anyone who wants it. When I worked in healthcare I got my flu shot every year, and every year I and many of my co-workers got the flu. I haven't had a flu shot in 10 yrs as I began researching vaccines and educating myself. In those 10 years I have not had the flu once. The flu shot is very hit and miss, and like last year, oftentimes it's a complete miss.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Exactly. i know many people who get the flu shot every year and i know just as many who do not, its almost always the ones who got the shot ,that get more sick,why is that

like i said
Last edited by the truth on Dec 18th, 2016, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Can you imagine how much sicker they would get if they didn't get the shot.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

more like the flu shot made them more sick
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Since the flu shot doesn't give you the flu, I suspect colds were more likely and nothing one can do about that except maybe better hygiene and stay away from those who are sick.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:Since the flu shot doesn't give you the flu, I suspect colds were more likely and nothing one can do about that except maybe better hygiene and stay away from those who are sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm why take the flu shot ,because it will make you sick

from cdc , side effects headache,fever,nausea,muscle aches, difficulty breathing, wheezing, swelling around eyes, hives weakness so why in the hell do i want to take the flu shot again :200: i think not
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

the truth wrote:
Fancy wrote:Since the flu shot doesn't give you the flu, I suspect colds were more likely and nothing one can do about that except maybe better hygiene and stay away from those who are sick.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm why take the flu shot ,because it will make you sick

from cdc , side effects headache,fever,nausea,muscle aches, difficulty breathing, wheezing, swelling around eyes, hives weakness so why in the hell do i want to take the flu shot again :200: i think not

From the link that was provided:
Are there signs or symptoms that should cause concern after getting a flu vaccine?

With any vaccine, look for any unusual conditions, such as a high fever, behavior changes, or signs of a severe allergic reaction after vaccination.

Signs of a severe allergic reaction can include:

Difficulty breathing
Hoarseness or wheezing
Swelling around the eyes or lips
Hives
Paleness
Weakness
A fast heart beat or dizziness
Life threatening allergic reactions to the flu shot are rare. These signs would most likely happen within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccine is given.

Are flu vaccines safe?

Flu vaccines are among the safest medical products in use. Hundreds of millions of Americans have safely received flu vaccines over the past 50 years, and there has been extensive research supporting the safety of flu vaccines.

A flu vaccine is the first and best way to reduce your chances of getting the flu and spreading it to others. CDC recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older receive a flu vaccine every year.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we agree on alot but not on this :up:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[quote="the truth"]Exactly. i know many people who get the flu shot every year and i know just as many who do not, its almost always the ones who got the shot ,that get more sick,why is that

like i said
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because they are more susceptible to germs/bugs/viruses etc. so they need to take better care of themselves. Vaccines are one way.

Return to “Health”