Hernia repair

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hernia repair

Post by w84u2 »

Two of my co-workers both had the operation. One took 5 weeks off (He was older), the other was back to work in 2 weeks. Both were very happy with the results.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

I've had it done on a inguinal hernia.
I'm very happy with the results, but getting there was a real bugger.
First, I was 66 when I finally got the operation and I'm now 67.
For me the biggest mistake BEFORE the operation was going along like life was normal. You have to take care of yourself. You can but SHOULDN'T be doing a lot of stuff you normally would. Heavy lifting, jogging...all will aggravate the situation. This is important because you are going to go on a waiting list and regardless what the health pros will tell you, you have no idea when you will be called in and the operation set up. My condition worsened because I thought the op would be soon and had no clue what would happen while waiting.
I kept being told stuff like "Relax. There are more important cases coming in every day whose urgency are above your minor hernia operation." I was told the average waiting time was 6 months or less.
So, I went on believing that.
One year after being told that, the hernia developed into a strangulated hernia and had been in that state for maybe a couple weeks. It got worse and the eventual pain was unbearable. But, for a while I bore it until one day I just couldn't take more and at 4 am one morning I called 911 and asked for an ambulance. When the attendant saw what was happening, he freaked.
'Things' moved quickly after that :)
A couple hours after being brought into KGH it was all done. I was told by the surgeon and assisting surgeon that they had trouble with it all the way through beginning with the incision. Keep in mind part of you bowels are now sitting outside your body and they have to work around that. They also had trouble getting 'stuff' back into where it was supposed to be.
This was ONE YEAR after being put on the waiting list. I was told by the surgeon and assisting surgeon that had I waited longer, I'd be dead.
A full TWO YEARS after having been put on the waiting list and one year after the operation I received a notification telling me I could now go for the operation......
Anyway, yes it was the mesh and I'm happy with the results. It took me way more than the time most people take to recover but it wasn't the average case all along.
DO IT! Get the ball rolling!
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How did they mean "waited longer"? To make a 911 call? Because it's not like you can stroll in and demand the surgery "right now."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Queen K wrote:How did they mean "waited longer"? To make a 911 call? Because it's not like you can stroll in and demand the surgery "right now."

Had I waited longer to make the call. No, you can NOT stroll in and demand the surgery. A week earlier my Dr told me if the pain got bad again to go to emergency, and wait. He said I might have to wait there overnight before being seen :/ I had chosen not to at that time. The pain had been an ongoing thing for awhile.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have had major abdominal surgery and when they repaired a hernia related to that (which still bulges but not bothersome) the Surgeon recommended putting a mesh across my stomach. At that time I Had enough of surgeries and recoveries and said as long as it doesn't become irritating we will leave it as is.

So what if my tummy bulges a bit. I don't look good in a speedo anyway!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ya but BriTer does, so he needed the mesh.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I have a mesh diaphragm and pericardium.
Without it this post would not be here.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

oldtrucker wrote:Thanks for the response.There is a hospital in Toronto that does non- mesh hernia repair.
Airfare in, it's $5000 at the end of the day.
After your hernia repair was done and healed,did you have any restrictions as to what you can or can't do?

Not me, no restrictions other than to take it easy for a bit. Until everything heals at least. Mine too longer to heal than usual because of the problems they had getting in and getting out. Had it all be done before everything went downhill it would have been average healing time. Some people are up and working again in just a matter of a few weeks, some less. How soon you can get back to works depends a lot on the kind of work you're doing.
I'd go with the mesh, KGH. Not a single horror story from me in regards to care at KGH. They took good care of me and I have no lingering problems whatsoever.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Queen K wrote:Ya but BriTer does, so he needed the mesh.

You're such a flirt! :biggrin:
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Bsuds wrote:I have had major abdominal surgery and when they repaired a hernia related to that (which still bulges but not bothersome) the Surgeon recommended putting a mesh across my stomach. At that time I Had enough of surgeries and recoveries and said as long as it doesn't become irritating we will leave it as is.

So what if my tummy bulges a bit. I don't look good in a speedo anyway!

Maybe the mesh was meant to keep the flies out. :smt045
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You have a good point.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

oldtrucker wrote:I had it done last week.I don't recommend this to anyone...find an alternative.I am having complications that have led me to the conclusion that this may be one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life.

With the mesh or non-mesh ?

Had the mesh done about 10 years ago, no problems so far.

Return to “Health”