CPP / Old Age Pension

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bubalouie
Guru

CPP / Old Age Pension

Post by Bubalouie »

Not sure if this is the right place, but curious how this works upon turning 65, is it automatic or does one need to apply.
Have lots of time before worrying about it but came up in a conversation last weekend and none of us was quite sure, yes, I know I can google it but thought some of you out there might have the answer readily.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: CPP / Old Age Pension

Post by Fancy »

You need to apply for it and should do that six months before you qualify. Contact Service Canada.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/fi-if/in ... 000&lang=e
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

thanks, will let her know to check it out, she's getting disability on cpp so guessing she won't need to apply for that, maybe i'll take her to the service canada office to find out
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's a form that can be filled out for an estimate:
Estimate Request for Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension - a search on Service Canada's website will bring it up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

For ongoing checks of Federal Govt dealings, everyone can register with Service Canada on line.
BUT, as can be expected with anything to do with the Federal Government the site, registering, getting a password, signing in once you have a password, keeping your password (which will expire if you don't go in once a year) IS A NIGHTMARE !

For example you sign up but you don't get a password, they mail it to you.

Lots of TLA's

Oh, you don't know what that is ?? "two letter aconym"

ie, "Sign in Option 2 - Continue to GCKey" and of course we all know what a "GCKey" is, don't we ?

But, having said all that. Everyone I know, once signed up, get their pension (even the first one) on time seamlessly.

First deposit (if you go for that, we all did) comes near the end of the month following your qualifying birthday, and every month following, with small COLA increases every quarter or so.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I am signed up online and took awhile with all their mumbo jumbo language but my friend isn't so going to go to the office and try and sort things out.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

All good, pre-registered so payments will come automatically.
Another question I have, if you turn 60 and take your CPP and keep working, pros and cons to keep paying your CPP?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

In 20 years, there will be nothing there. Justin already spent all of it. ALL...OF...IT. It's gone.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Can't blame young JT for that>>>entirely.

3 or 4 PM's ago, maybe even 5 opened up
our last Generations Pension Accounts and plundered them with no way of re-payment
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

my5cents wrote:For ongoing checks of Federal Govt dealings, everyone can register with Service Canada on line.
BUT, as can be expected with anything to do with the Federal Government the site, registering, getting a password, signing in once you have a password, keeping your password (which will expire if you don't go in once a year) IS A NIGHTMARE !

For example you sign up but you don't get a password, they mail it to you.

Lots of TLA's

Oh, you don't know what that is ?? "two letter aconym"

ie, "Sign in Option 2 - Continue to GCKey" and of course we all know what a "GCKey" is, don't we ?

But, having said all that. Everyone I know, once signed up, get their pension (even the first one) on time seamlessly.

First deposit (if you go for that, we all did) comes near the end of the month following your qualifying birthday, and every month following, with small COLA increases every quarter or so.

I agree completely! What the he** is a GCKey? Then we have the Sign in partners? What???? Of course if you try to phone for help, you are told to go to the website! (That is if you get someone who actually speaks English)
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Health”