Laser Eye Surgery?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Re: Laser Eye Surgery?

Post by LiamHaddock »

I had PRK 4 years ago and have been very happy! I used to get dry eyes and contacts where uncomfortable and glasses always slid around and where annoying for sports.

I remember something being said about PRK having advantage over Lasik as there is no flap to heal. With Lasik it heals faster but if u get punched or soccer ball hits you in the eye or whatever the flap can reopen. Ask a surgeon or Google for more clarity on that though.

:130:
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I also have an irrational fear of something going wrong. I know these days the chances are as slim as they'll ever be, but I'm not ready to take the plunge.

I spoke to an optometrist friend a few years ago about it. I was mid-twenties at the time with a -2.00/-1.75 Rx. He basically said at my age with my current vision that he wouldn't recommend it. Or, should I say, I could do it, but there was a strong likelihood I'd need it redone down the road.

I'm pretty lucky that contacts have never bothered me (I invest in a good style). I can wear my dailies all day long and have had the continuous wear monthly variety as well.

I've heard of people having one done, having it heal, and then doing the other. The idea is that if something goes wrong you won't be totally blind.

I see the appeal for the people who do it, just not something I'm keen on for myself.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

LiamHaddock wrote:I had PRK 4 years ago and have been very happy! I used to get dry eyes and contacts where uncomfortable and glasses always slid around and where annoying for sports.

I remember something being said about PRK having advantage over Lasik as there is no flap to heal. With Lasik it heals faster but if u get punched or soccer ball hits you in the eye or whatever the flap can reopen. Ask a surgeon or Google for more clarity on that though.

:130:

I went with PRK for that reason, enjoy water sports and was advised against the flap. Think PRK would be my choice again with the newer lasers leave a smoother surface on the cornea reducing possibility of hazing or other complications such a light sensitivity.

For the OP though, the choice between wearing glasses and having the surgery depends on lifestyle. If you're more sedate and glasses arent such an inconvenience then maybe you shouldn't bother. Even though they've worked out the bugs it will never be entirely risk free, it just boils down to whether the gains in freedom are worth the nominal risk of surgery. For me it was an easy choice when I was young, and still probably would, but as I get older and need reading glasses the choice would be a little less clear. Fortunately that's not a problem for my vision which is still perfect for distance over a decade after having it done.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
kodadog

Post by kodadog »

My spouse had LASIK surgery done in Kelowna over 18 years ago, and is still very happy with 15/20 vision. No complications whatsoever, even with being an avid skier & windsurfer. It's seems frightening to think of "cutting" a flap on the eye, but was well worth it in the long run. I remember the healing time was very minimal (about 36 hours).
Beverl

Post by Beverl »

Thinktank wrote:It seems like a real dumb idea to me.

If you have no other option, then you have to do it.

Return to “Health”