Laser Eye Surgery?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Laser Eye Surgery?

Post by Thinktank »

I used to see advertising for laser eye surgery years ago, but now no one talks about it.

I'm wondering if anyone got laser eye surgery, and how did it work out?

It seems like a real dumb idea to me.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Re: Laser Eye Surgery?

Post by KPARKER83 »

I had later eye surgery 8 years ago. I didn't qualify for Lasik so I had a procedure called PRK done. The initial after surgery was rough for me, but it's the best money I've ever spent. Love not having to wear glasses or contacts.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

PRK here - best money I ever spent as well :)
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Wife had LASIK last year, loves it!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:It seems like a real dumb idea to me.

Why? Everyone I know that's had it has been completely satisfied.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I had PRK done about 10 years ago and my only complaint is my eyes have become sensitive to light over the years. Optometrist said its not uncommon for this to develop after laser eye surgery. Basically have replaced my eyeglasses for sunglasses when outside. Think I'd still go through with it though, hated wearing glasses and couldn't wear contacts, just hope the light sensitivity doesn't get worse.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

So it looks like the majority of people aare happy with laser eye surgery. I'm the type of person
who wouldn't do it even if they paid me $100,000, if there was a 1/1000 chance something could go wrong.

Here:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/your-per ... e-1696551/
^ some things went wrong for one person.

But eyes change over the years. Your eyes get better as you get older. Also, your eyes can get better if
you quit wearing glasses. but people want 20/20. they don't just want to see 25% better.

I was just wondering if years later, the person who was near sighted when they got the surgery would become
far sighted later in life, or some weird result like all modern technology does.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:But eyes change over the years. Your eyes get better as you get older.
Not true.

Just as our physical strength decreases with age, our eyes also exhibit an age-related decline in performance — particularly as we reach our 60s and beyond.

Some age-related eye changes, such as presbyopia, are perfectly normal and don't signify any sort of disease process. While cataracts can be considered an age-related disease, they are extremely common among seniors and can be readily corrected with cataract surgery.

Some of us, however, will experience more serious age-related eye diseases that have greater potential for affecting our quality of life as we grow older. These conditions include glaucoma, macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/over60/vision-changes.htm
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

It's among tops for procedure s performed in north America.... right up there with breast augmentation
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Post by KPARKER83 »

Thinktank wrote:SoI was just wondering if years later, the person who was near sighted when they got the surgery would become far sighted later in life, or some weird result like all modern technology does.

Before I had my surgery, I was told that I would most likely require reading glasses as I got older regardless. I'm 33 now and had my surgery for distance. I don't expect my eyes to stay at 20/20 and I think I am allowed up to 4 "enhancements" throughout my life as my eyes do start to deteriorate with age.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Thinktank wrote: Your eyes get better as you get older.

I had perfect "near" and "far" vision until I hit 51, then my "near" vision started deteriorating.
I have to wear 1.75 reading glasses to see small print, and just to make reading and working on things at close distance comfortable again.
I am considering Laser surgery because I am sick of the lack of close vision for the last 5 years.
I would love to hear from anyone who was in the same boat and recently had it done.
Most people go through with this loss of close vision around 50, because this seems to be the age that our lenses get worse!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Thinktank wrote: Your eyes get better as you get older.

UltraViolet wrote:Most people go through with this loss of close vision around 50, because this seems to be the age that our lenses get worse!

So if the people see close things "worse" would that mean the nearsighted people actually can start
to see far things "better?"

That's what I meant by - your eyes get better as you get older, Only the nearsighted people.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Thinktank wrote:So it looks like the majority of people aare happy with laser eye surgery. I'm the type of person
who wouldn't do it even if they paid me $100,000, if there was a 1/1000 chance something could go wrong.

Is it safe to assume you don't leave your house or drive a car because of the "chance something could go wrong" and you could be injured? You take bigger risks than this every day, yet laser eye surgery concerns you? Strange.

Just so you have all the facts, there has yet to be a single case of anyone losing their vision from LASIK surgery.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Health”