Migraines in Kelowna!!

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
[email protected]

Migraines in Kelowna!!

Post by [email protected] »

Hi everyone I would like to start a public conversation about the lack of understanding around migraines. I was diagnosed at 12 with hemiplegic migraines with transient aphasia and have gone through ups and downs since then. I have gone for periods of years with no migraines but lately they have come back full force and am causing me to miss a lot of work. Just want to start an open dialogue and maybe eventually an in person meet up group to discuss, share, empathize and encourage awareness!
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Re: Migraines in Kelowna!!

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

I'd join in, but I don't have the time to be involved in many things these days. I had basilar migraines, off and on, for a very long time. Migraines of any kind have the potential to be debilitating.

Nevertheless, I hope you find a way out of it.
I am... the law!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Worst part of a migraine is knowing what the triggers are yet sometimes it's impossible to avoid them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

What seems to be working for me:

Had a food sensitivity test and identified problem foods for me. Removed them.
Went on a anti inflammatory diet. Read about inflammation and migraines...really interesting. Inflammation can manifest different in different people; arthritis, IBS, migraines to name a few. Overall my diet is much cleaner and involves way less processed food along with specific foods that cause inflammation (potatoes, tomatoes, citrus fruits etc.)
Saw a Naturopath (Dr. Pratt) who identified some hormonal imbalances as well. The diet I am on was prescribed by Dr. Pratt and will work towards balancing my hormones in addition to reducing my overall internal body inflammation.
Started taking some supplements. Migramax (Magnesium and butterbur), tumeric, b complex and b2 specifically.
All of this is specific to me from Dr. Pratt but can at least be an avenue to explore for all of you.
I went from 3 or 4 migraines every week to only 1 in 25 days!! The 1 migraine was the day before my period and reflects the connection between my hormonal imbalance and my migraines. If I get another migraine before my next period we may be trying some progesterone.Fingers crossed I can keep this trend going!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[email protected] wrote:What seems to be working for me:

Had a food sensitivity test and identified problem foods for me. Removed them.
Went on a anti inflammatory diet. Read about inflammation and migraines...really interesting. Inflammation can manifest different in different people; arthritis, IBS, migraines to name a few. Overall my diet is much cleaner and involves way less processed food along with specific foods that cause inflammation (potatoes, tomatoes, citrus fruits etc.)
Saw a Naturopath (Dr. Pratt) who identified some hormonal imbalances as well. The diet I am on was prescribed by Dr. Pratt and will work towards balancing my hormones in addition to reducing my overall internal body inflammation.
Started taking some supplements. Migramax (Magnesium and butterbur), tumeric, b complex and b2 specifically.
All of this is specific to me from Dr. Pratt but can at least be an avenue to explore for all of you.
I went from 3 or 4 migraines every week to only 1 in 25 days!! The 1 migraine was the day before my period and reflects the connection between my hormonal imbalance and my migraines. If I get another migraine before my next period we may be trying some progesterone.Fingers crossed I can keep this trend going!

imo processed foods is maybe the biggest change someone can do for the better to improve your ones health
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

[email protected] wrote:I went from 3 or 4 migraines every week to only 1 in 25 days!! The 1 migraine was the day before my period and reflects the connection between my hormonal imbalance and my migraines. If I get another migraine before my next period we may be trying some progesterone.Fingers crossed I can keep this trend going!
Fingers crossed for you too!! I was told my migraines could escalate reaching menopause. So far so good but my triggers aren't food related. A word of advice - make sure your workplace knows of your migraines. Nothing more embarrassing than being transported to Emergency thinking the worst when you're young never mind being old.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I lived in Calgary for many years. The Chinooks would often give me horrible migraines. The kind that wouldn't allow me to function in any way at all. Where ever I was when these migraines came on, I would always hope that I could make it home quickly and safely to try to sleep them off in a dark room. Since moving back to BC 6 years ago, I have only had one or two of those.

I recently started having different migraines with auras. They start off as a blind spot in the centre of my vision, that then expand and turn into a glittery crescent on the left side of my field of vision. It almost looks like a mosaic of tiny triangular mirrors glittering in the light. This crescent gradually expands outwards until it disappears. I have had 2 of these migraines in the last month. They come on very quickly and last about 15 to 25 minutes. There's no pain, but they leave me feeling fatigued and a bit out of it for a while.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of migraine?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mine start with blind spot and lose vision in one eye, then lightning bolts etc. etc. Been diagnosed with vascular headache, classic migraine and now there's different names associated with it. Not pleasant.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I had them for years, then I didn't get the headache but just weird visual symptoms without the headache. I found taking more magnesium daily and not getting too much calcium helped. The meds from the doc for migraine reduced the headache some,but I still felt pretty ill and couldn't function. There's hope, they eventually stopped, and no symptoms for some years, so I would say they were hormone driven.

When I got the visual symptoms they were exactly as described by Rusty.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I had them for years, then I didn't get the headache but just weird visual symptoms without the headache. I found taking more magnesium daily and not getting too much calcium helped. The meds from the doc for migraine reduced the headache some,but I still felt pretty ill and couldn't function. There's hope, they eventually stopped, and no symptoms for some years, so I would say they were hormone driven.

When I got the visual symptoms they were exactly as described by Rusty.

I'm glad to hear that you aren't getting migraines anymore. I'm interested in the magnesium. What kind are you taking and how much?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Yeah, so, i've never had a migraine - but wife gets them now and then

Today she felt not quite right in her gut and just about an hour ago she said she could feel/see a migraine coming-on with it's usual psychedelic flashes & weird colored blobs...and pain

She crammed 2 advils down her throat ...then remembered something she recently read in her new Young Living "Essential Oils Pocket Reference" book;

"...the vast majority of migraine headaches may be due to colon congestion or poor digestion.
Eye strain and decreased vision can accompany migraine headaches..."

She then used their Peppermint Oil as was recommended - rubbed in a couple drops at the temples - base of neck - center of forehead - under nose ...and thumbs (for some reason)

less then 3 minutes later her acid-trip visions of weird shapes and flashes changed colour & shape (she had never seen them do this before) ....then disappeared - taking the pain with them.

Other Young Living oils recommended for migraines:

Basil
Copaiba
Winter Green
...and a bunch of blends

SO ...who knows what kind of oily voo-doo is in this stuff !?! ...but she's sure happy now - just sayin'

Peppermint.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I get hormone triggered migraines and when I could take NSAIDS I would take both extra strength Tylenol AND 2 ibuprofen and would help calm the the beast. I know it's coming when half my face would go numb and I would start to have vision issues out of the eye on the numb part of my face. I have figured out that it a combo of hormones and stress. On day three of my period BOOM. Eating clean and reducing stress before my period has helped and I no longer get them monthly. I can't take NSAIDS any more so it the minimal help of Tylenol.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I know it’s not for everyone but I recently tried CBD oil for a migraine and it worked amazingly. No crazy highs just some good pain relief and an amazing nights sleep. Prior I have used a drug called Mersyndol. Have to ask the pharmacist for it as it’s kept behind the counter.

Return to “Health”