Heartburn drugs lead to early death

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Heartburn drugs lead to early death

Post by the truth »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/health/pr ... index.html heads up for those of you that take heartburn drugs , thank you big pharma more harmless meds :200: :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: heartburn drugs lead to early death

Post by Jflem1983 »

My old man lives off rolaids . And tums . And beer . He's hooped
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It appears the indication is to prescribe within the scope of the medication and should not be considered for an indeterminate length of time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

what took you so long, thank you big pharma
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:what took you so long, thank you big pharma

Big pharma certainly has done a great service by providing the medications that help people cope with life. Now get the physicians that are doing the prescribing to make sure they are doing so appropriately.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

The top ten drugs (tens of millions of prescriptions each)

Synthroid (22,664,826): hypothyroidism
    Crestor (22,557,735): cholesterol
    Nexium (18,656,464): stomach acid
    Ventolin HFA (17,556,646): bronchospasm
    Advair Diskus (15,003,169): bronchospasm
    Diovan (11,401,503): hypertension
    Lantus Solostar (10,154,739): diabetes
    Cymbalta (10,065,788): depression
    Vyvanse (10,019,178): ADHD
    Lyrica (9,684,884): epilepsy/neuropathy

Notice #3 - stomach acid. The drug companies are making billions of dollars
and I'm thinking 80% of their drugs are a giant scam. A dirty trick played on the gullible simple sheeple
to rake in $trillions in profit. :smt045

Why so much stomach acid problems all of a sudden in the general population?

Anyone know?

http://www.moneycrashers.com/cost-most- ... dont-need/
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Antacids are never a good thing to take, better off just grabbing ginger ale & riding it out.
I had elementary teacher who would eat a little bite of white chalk (not the coloured ones) since it's same basic ingredient calcium carbonate. Who knows if its the same now
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Over the counter antacids like Tums are to neutralize the acid causing heartburn and is to be used only for a short duration (up to two weeks) and I don't believe is the topic here. Other medical conditions requiring heartburn drugs can be severe and should be under a doctor's care.
Last edited by Fancy on Jul 4th, 2017, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Antacids are never a good thing to take, better off just grabbing ginger ale & riding it out.
I had elementary teacher who would eat a little bite of white chalk (not the coloured ones) since it's same basic ingredient calcium carbonate. Who knows if its the same now

As well figure out which foods tends to cause the heartburn in first place & avoid them, majority of the time problem solved.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:As well figure out which foods tends to cause the heartburn in first place & avoid them, majority of the time problem solved.

Think there's more to it than that. There are medical conditions that cause heartburn - not just a type of food.
Last edited by Fancy on Jul 4th, 2017, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:As well figure out which foods tends to cause the heartburn in first place & avoid them, majority of the time problem solved.

Fancy wrote:Think there's more to it than that. There are medical conditions that cause heartburn that aren't food related.

Acid reflux is different then heartburn, normal heartburn will go away..... acid reflux is nasty.

Added later: be very surprised how many people don't get things check out, instead self medicate.
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 4th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Acid reflux is different then heartburn, normal heartburn will go away..... acid reflux is nasty.

Prescription heartburn drugs are prescribed for acid reflux which causes heartburn. Unfortunately, any type of antacid is not recommended for long term use.
http://www.refluxmd.com/what-causes-heartburn/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Added later: be very surprised how many people don't get things check out, instead self medicate.

And I agree about getting things checked out. There are so many variables to consider if suffering from heartburn. Car accidents, surgeries, etc. can contribute to esophageal injuries that should be checked out (as well as obesity and pregnancy).
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ exactly, once someone starts popping antacids. The digestion system needs stomach acids to breakdown the food. Besides lowing acid level in stomach, it also destroying the good bacteria.

Better off as I said grabbing ginger ale & riding it out, if it's become a problem seek professional help.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm assuming people are getting professional help if they are being prescribed with heartburn medication. Jflem1983 mentioned Tums and that isn't what this is about. Just to clarify, I am under the impression the study was in regards to acid suppression, not neutralizing acid.
Last edited by Fancy on Jul 4th, 2017, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Health”