46341
45615

Doctors taking new patients

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.

Doctors taking new patients

Postby alfred2 » Jul 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Does anyone know if there are any doctors in Kelowna taking new patients.Our doc moved and we are left with no doctor.
Thanks
alfred2
Übergod
 
Posts: 1913
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 766 posts
Joined: Jun 29th, 2013, 11:02 am

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby OldBlindDog » Jul 22nd, 2017, 6:54 pm

Good luck. It's nearly impossible to find a doctor accepting new patients in this town.

https://www.cpsbc.ca

23 pages of search results for active family physicians in Kelowna, and not a single result if you filter for doctors accepting new patients.
User avatar
OldBlindDog
 
Posts: 60
Likes: 28 posts
Liked in: 39 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby voice of reason » Jul 22nd, 2017, 7:31 pm

drove by the walkin clinic in west kelowna this morning around 830 and there must have been 20 people lined up outside
voice of reason
Board Meister
 
Posts: 570
Likes: 1662 posts
Liked in: 528 posts
Joined: Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:40 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby foodsmith » Jul 22nd, 2017, 8:09 pm

Go to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC website: https://cpsbc.ca/

Search Kelowna in the Physicians Directory under Family Physicians and check the 'Accepting New Patients' box.

Best of luck!
foodsmith
Board Meister
 
Posts: 360
Likes: 971 posts
Liked in: 244 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2011, 7:40 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby GordonH » Jul 23rd, 2017, 5:29 am

Using physician search, if you willing to travel to Winfield there is 1 accepting new patients:
Dr. Jan, Paleta
802-11850 Oceola Rd
Lake Country, BC
V4V 2T5
T: 7784806890
Practice type: General Family PracticeCCFP
Gender: Male
Accepting new patients: Yes
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1683 posts
Liked in: 5242 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby Loki2u » Jul 23rd, 2017, 8:12 pm

Wouldn't your old doctor have referred you to a new one when he left? Or had a replacement taking over his patients?

When my doctor retired, I was immediately transferred to his replacement- I didn't have to do anything.

Seems a bit strange that a family physician with a case load of say 200 patients that they would all be left to their own devices in finding a new doctor-especially when there are so few accepting new patients.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

the truth likes this post.
Loki2u
Fledgling
 
Posts: 243
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 265 posts
Joined: Aug 24th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby Bman » Jul 23rd, 2017, 8:19 pm

A family physician with 200 patients?
How sick are people?
Do they each go twice a month?
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?
User avatar
Bman
Mindquad
 
Posts: 27051
Likes: 10046 posts
Liked in: 7816 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby Loki2u » Jul 23rd, 2017, 8:28 pm

Bman wrote:A family physician with 200 patients?
How sick are people?
Do they each go twice a month?


Teehee! You're funny. :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Loki2u
Fledgling
 
Posts: 243
Likes: 218 posts
Liked in: 265 posts
Joined: Aug 24th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby stuphoto » Jul 23rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

Good luck finding a good doctor. It was tough 10 years ago when there were at least several clinics around.
I pretty much have to book an appointment with my doctor months in advance now that his clinic closed.

Bman wrote:A family physician with 200 patients?
How sick are people?
Do they each go twice a month?

you got me wondering the same thing:
After a google search, 200 is a little low but not that bad of a guess.
The answer is between 300 to more than 3000
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/05/man ... -care.html
stuphoto
Fledgling
 
Posts: 259
Likes: 278 posts
Liked in: 156 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby goalie » Jul 24th, 2017, 8:40 am

There should be a 5-10$ fee for each visit. Would deter people from going for every little issue.

gman313 likes this post.
goalie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1697
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 209 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:29 am

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby GordonH » Jul 24th, 2017, 9:06 am

Shortly after moving here I looked around for a Doctor found one fresh out of medical school. I'm not about to give him up, turned out to be 1 hell of a Doctor.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1683 posts
Liked in: 5242 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 24th, 2017, 11:08 am

goalie wrote:There should be a 5-10$ fee for each visit. Would deter people from going for every little issue.


While i agree that some people do tend to go in for silly reasons, charging people for visits would kinda be tough if you've suffered from a major health issue and have many follow ups. Could mean multiple visits over a certain period.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3055
Likes: 704 posts
Liked in: 1304 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby GordonH » Jul 24th, 2017, 11:25 am

goalie wrote:There should be a 5-10$ fee for each visit. Would deter people from going for every little issue.

Those little issues should be taken to the walk in clinics, to free up appointment needed Dr offices.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1683 posts
Liked in: 5242 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby the truth » Jul 24th, 2017, 11:29 am

Loki2u wrote:Wouldn't your old doctor have referred you to a new one when he left? Or had a replacement taking over his patients?

When my doctor retired, I was immediately transferred to his replacement- I didn't have to do anything.

Seems a bit strange that a family physician with a case load of say 200 patients that they would all be left to their own devices in finding a new doctor-especially when there are so few accepting new patients.



same here, my gp of 15 years retired last year ,new doctor took over all his patients i also had to do nothing :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12056
Likes: 7014 posts
Liked in: 4153 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Doctors taking new patients

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 24th, 2017, 11:33 am

the truth wrote:
Loki2u wrote:Wouldn't your old doctor have referred you to a new one when he left? Or had a replacement taking over his patients?

When my doctor retired, I was immediately transferred to his replacement- I didn't have to do anything.

Seems a bit strange that a family physician with a case load of say 200 patients that they would all be left to their own devices in finding a new doctor-especially when there are so few accepting new patients.



same here, my gp of 15 years retired last year ,new doctor took over all his patients i also had to do nothing :up:

Our family as well. Our now retired doc transferred everything to a new doctor.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9868
Likes: 3744 posts
Liked in: 4206 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest