GF Strong rehabilitation

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: GF Strong rehabilitation

Post by TreeGuy »

With last minute notice and a hurried move I was sent to GF Strong today! My rehab begins! YAY!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So happy for you Treeguy! :130: :hailjo: to the people who got you in early!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

TreeGuy wrote:With last minute notice and a hurried move I was sent to GF Strong today! My rehab begins! YAY!

great news, good luck ,get well soon :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
NolaM

Post by NolaM »

My father went there in the 80's
Was a carpenter with 2 crushed wrists after a 40 ft scaffolding fail.
They eventually fused into functional use but his Carpentry was done.
Thing is.. he walked out of GF so bloody grateful that the rest of him worked ok.
He learned more about guts and the glory of human spirit from others
Was able to bypass the 'Why Me?' and move directly to, 'What can I still do?'
Because no matter what your challenges.. there always seems to be someone else..
That seems to have a bigger, harder challenge or tougher circumstances.
He said that he learned a lot of adaptations from other patients.
The furniture he made in their woodshop is still in the family.

Almost everyone.. if they live long enough,
Develops a physical disability...
It good to get your banana peel recovery skills locked in.
You'll get this figured out. Enjoy the education.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Thank you for your post Nola. I was very young when my dad was at GF Strong so I don't remember that much.
But Yes, it is all about what you can do. It is an amazing facility.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

After a month in GF Strong I'm back. I was discharged with much improvement. I am walking without any aids. My only deficits are my arms and hands. My arms are week and I don't have much grip strength in my hands, however I am able to open my hands, when I got there I couldn't.

The staff was great. Very caring, compassionate and encouraging. I will continue my rehabilitation here in Kelowna at a private clinic.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great news, rehab is ----key------------ :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

TreeGuy wrote:After a month in GF Strong I'm back. I was discharged with much improvement. I am walking without any aids. My only deficits are my arms and hands. My arms are week and I don't have much grip strength in my hands, however I am able to open my hands, when I got there I couldn't.

The staff was great. Very caring, compassionate and encouraging. I will continue my rehabilitation here in Kelowna at a private clinic.

That is awesome news. I've been thinking about you since your original post and I'm delighted to hear that you're doing so well. Hopefully after a bit more time, you'll be as good as new. Congratulations....!!!!
:up: :130:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
DarrenGP

Post by DarrenGP »

Hello Friend
I personally have not been to GF Strong but my wife was there for some time due to an injury that left her paralyzed and needing 24 hour care. I remember her talking about GF so many times and had nothing bad to say about them, she was very well taken care of and educated as to her new way of living. My wife has sadly passed away now and shared her teachings by GF Strong with me, I for one hold them in high regard and knowing what I know ...... you are in good hands, they know what they're doing. I wish you all the best in your future, it's not over by any means! It's a new chapter of your life.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

TreeGuy wrote:After a month in GF Strong I'm back. I was discharged with much improvement. I am walking without any aids. My only deficits are my arms and hands. My arms are week and I don't have much grip strength in my hands, however I am able to open my hands, when I got there I couldn't.

Awesome! Have you chosen one yet? Did they recommend one?
I haven't failed until I quit.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Lady tehMa wrote:Awesome! Have you chosen one yet? Did they recommend one?

Work safe BC has found a physiotherapy clinic for me that has therapist with spinal cord injury experience. They haven't told me which clinic it is or when I start. My worker just told me to come home and rest for a week. Work safe BC has been very good to us so far.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

All Positive, good.

Physio has worked well for me to gain some strength around my injuries.

The Kinesiologist though has been exceptional !

Getting the proper muscles "firing" for proper movement.

Glad to hear that things are happening for you.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dirtybiker wrote:All Positive, good.

Physio has worked well for me to gain some strength around my injuries.

The Kinesiologist though has been exceptional !

Getting the proper muscles "firing" for proper movement.

Glad to hear that things are happening for you.

You are right about this, with a spinal cord injury it is all about the nerves firing so that Marshall can be built. Because I have permanent damage to the spinal cord this can prevent some of the nerves from working. I am told it is only time that will heal these and that I am not to expect a full recovery of them due to the damage.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I'm glad you are back and things are improving. The doctor's expectations and the real outcomes don't always match up so you may be surprised at how much farther you can recover. Big hugs for you and yours!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.

Return to “Health”