Depression

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Depression

Post by Lady tehMa »

You know how the valley was filled with smoke for weeks on end? How dark and apolcalyptic it was? it sapped the energy right out of you. It was all you could do to go from one thing to another, those of us with asthma were hiding inside. That's like depression. And waking up to light rain, smelling the fresh air and seeing the mountains, seeing blue sky and SUN for the first time in ages! That is what it is like when your meds start working - you feel a part of the world again.
I haven't failed until I quit.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Depression

Post by gman313 »

well said! experiencing depression, especially longer term, is an absolutely terrible way to live and when the help starts to work its pretty amazing to feel hope

Check this out, if you can have this done it will make the chances of having the correct drug the 1st time significantly more likely. Went to a conference on this last week....

coming to a benefits plan near you soon

http://www.personalizedprescribing.com/
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:135:

That actually looks pretty interesting! I've been lucky in that it hasn't taken me a long time to figure out my meds. But I know people who've had issues for years . . .
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Lady tehMa wrote::135:

That actually looks pretty interesting! I've been lucky in that it hasn't taken me a long time to figure out my meds. But I know people who've had issues for years . . .

I found it amazing. It is probably it's own topic because it covers a variety of drugs but has significant potential for mental health.

my partner has struggled with proper meds as well and this might help...
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Lady tehMa wrote:You know how the valley was filled with smoke for weeks on end? How dark and apolcalyptic it was? it sapped the energy right out of you. It was all you could do to go from one thing to another, those of us with asthma were hiding inside. That's like depression. And waking up to light rain, smelling the fresh air and seeing the mountains, seeing blue sky and SUN for the first time in ages! That is what it is like when your meds start working - you feel a part of the world again.

Why are you depressed?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Loki2u wrote:
Why are you depressed?

Brain chemistry - mainly my brain doesn't make enough seratonin. I was able to be off the drugs while I was doing HIIT workouts, but then fibro stepped in and ruled that out. The imbalance was triggered as I went through puberty. I didn't get diagnosed until I was in my late 20's/early 30's - when I was younger no one talked about mental health or really thought about it. Looking back historically there is definitely history in my family tree. My mom and all my sibs are on antidepressants as well. I also have a low thyroid so I need to take a supplement for that as well - taking antideppressants is just taking a supplement for my brain.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Loki2u wrote:
Why are you depressed?

Brain chemistry - mainly my brain doesn't make enough seratonin. I was able to be off the drugs while I was doing HIIT workouts, but then fibro stepped in and ruled that out. The imbalance was triggered as I went through puberty. I didn't get diagnosed until I was in my late 20's/early 30's - when I was younger no one talked about mental health or really thought about it. Looking back historically there is definitely history in my family tree. My mom and all my sibs are on antidepressants as well. I also have a low thyroid so I need to take a supplement for that as well - taking antideppressants is just taking a supplement for my brain.

Thank you for sharing and glad you found something that works.

It's nice to see mental health take more of a spotlight, and sharing your story (as difficult as it may be) goes a long way to shattering the stigmas that are out there.

I didn't really intend to get personal, I'm just always curious what goes on for people, and even though I'm sure it was none of my business, I thank you again for sharing that. :up:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

No problem :130:

To me it's just another health issue, but one I'm really quite used to. I don't mind talking about it, starting conversations about it; it normalizes it for others. I don't stress over mine but I know others who do - or used to.

If you have nerve damage in your leg and you have to wear a brace, no one really questions it - right? Nowadays depression is getting more understood but you still get the person who wants to tell you "if you'd Just" or "have you tried going natural with". They mean well. It can be annoying though. Mostly people just want to know you'll accept them regardless.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Lady tehMa wrote:

How do you know your brain doesnt make enough serotonin? There's no to test for it.

Depression is mostly caused from traumatic childhood and experiences.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Lady tehMa wrote:

Gixxer wrote:How do you know your brain doesnt make enough serotonin? There's no to test for it.

http://depressionhurts.ca/en/about/causes.aspx

Biological Factors

We are not certain what causes depression. One of the predominant theories proposes that depression is caused by an imbalance of naturally occurring substances called neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord.

Serotonin and norepinephrine are two neurotransmitters in the brain that appear to be involved in the symptoms of depression.

I can say with certainty because one of the medications I am on affects my level of seratonin. I tried it, it works, ergo I didn't have enough seratonin.

Having depression has given me a certain interest in it. If I come across an article on it I'll take the time to read. What I find really interesting is that we're just finding out how much we don't know about the human mind.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Gixxer wrote:
How do you know your brain doesnt make enough serotonin? There's no to test for it.

Thank god it has been solved now. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

[icon_lol2.gif]

Hopefully tomorrow gixxer solves aging, could really use a solution for that too. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I cant take credit for it.

Its what you'll learn if you take CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy)
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Gixxer wrote:I cant take credit for it.

You're getting into the nature vs nurture argument and I believe both can be causes.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:I cant take credit for it.

Not really sure if CBT has much effect on clinical depression.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Health”