Depression

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Depression

Post by coffeeFreak »

Has anyone heard about the idea that our gut health is linked to depression? I've been seeing this topic pop up on the internet lately. Here's one article of many.

The Best Probiotics for Mood: Psychobiotics May Enhance the Gut-Brain Connection
What are pychobiotics? They're mind-altering probiotics that researchers say can boost mood, decrease anxiety, and ease depression, among other benefits.

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/depression/the-best-probiotics-for-mood-enhancing-the-gut-brain-connection-with-psychobiotics/
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Gixxer wrote:I cant take credit for it.

Its what you'll learn if you take CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy)

As I said, I'm glad you have solved the problem. You may note that the medical community is not 100% on board with your research.
You and 71 others Like this post
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

LANDM wrote:
As I said, I'm glad you have solved the problem. You may note that the medical community is not 100% on board with your research.

Like I said I havent solved the problem nor is this my research. Its something you'll learn in CBT. They offer it free in Vernon at the health unit every Wednesday

Are you the spokesperson for the medical community?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Gixxer wrote:
LANDM wrote:

Like I said I havent solved the problem nor is this my research. Its something you'll learn in CBT. They offer it free in Vernon at the health unit every Wednesday

Are you the spokesperson for the medical community?

Yes.
You and 71 others Like this post
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Enough squabbling boys, please.

Depression has many causes. Trauma and stress can cause it. So can genetics.

In the case of the former, CBT can be very helpful. In the case of the latter, supplements in the form of antidepressants can help. In fact, they can help the former get under control while learning, to be weaned off later.

Constructive comments are helpful - like the link coffee provided. Different things work for different people.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Antidepressants can be dangerous though with irreversible side effects with no cure. Don't believe me google P.S.S.D (Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction ) It basically turns you a-sexual.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I believe you - I've been on any number of things with bad side effects (the worst was plaquinel - when they thought I had Lupus. It had a 80% chance of deteriorating your vision).

It is a case of measuring the cost against the gain. For me, the side effects aren't too much of a risk for being able to feel normal.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Health”