Disability not visable

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
willow2

Disability not visable

Post by willow2 »

I have a mental disability. If you looked at me you would think I was a beautiful women with no problems at all.
Unfortunately that is not the case at all.

Today I was kicked out of Provincial park for camping because the document I have wasn't good enough.

Yesterday I arrived at the Bear Creek Provincial Park, The girl at the front gate told me to find a place and then come and talk to her and register. Not a problem. A friend of mine came and helped me set up and then left me there to camp.

I then went to the front gate to register and because I have a disability I showed her that I received a PWD on this piece of paper printed out from My Self Serve showing how much I receive, and that yes I was on a PWD.
She pulls out this other piece of paper and says it has to be this one. Well one says I give consent to see that I am on a PWD the other says I am on a PWD and receive it. She tells me that I can stay but have to come and talk to her manager in the morning to confirm if this is OK. Thanks
I didn't sleep well because, well I have a mental disability that conjures up all kinds of things that are not true, so I was awake and stressing about the situation.
The next morning I wait till 9:00 to walk to the front gate to see the manager. Well guess no one arrives at the window till 1:00. Hmm and the sign clearly states check out at 11 and "be punctual".
So walk back and stress some more. After texting a friend for advice they suggest I wait till one and then least your late.
OK I will since I am really not in any shape to pull up camp and do this myself. I'm stressed and now my brain doesn't work very well.

Well no waiting, the guy who is the manager of the camp ground comes and tells me that the paper I showed is not acceptable and that I need to leave immediately and that they will settle up with me for staying the night. That's it.
He didn't want to hear anything, my paper work wasn't what he wanted and that if I wanted to stay then I need to get the right paper work. And forget about the fact that I have a mental disability that for the life of me I can't control. I started to cry and then I swear and well then he threatens to call the cops on me, says they will be here in 20 minutes.
I told him that I was left here and that I need help to pull up camp. He suggest I take a taxi to get the right paper.Then I can stay. And its now 10:30, I can't get anyone to help me till after 3 at least. He doesn't even suggest to help.

I'm at Bear Creek park and I live on a disability pension, I do not have the resources to pay for a taxi to get a piece of paper that really just says you can view my information. And why can't he not accept what I am giving him.
This summer I have been able to stay in a few other parks with only this documentation and not one park official ever treated me so badly as this person did. They never said that I couldn't stay there, they never kicked me out, and never did they threaten to call the police.

Well I managed to sorta get it all together the awning wasn't closed right and I just about broke my thumb putting it back in. I drove home at 40 miles a hour cause I was afraid of getting into a accident. Not to mention stressing out so much that I can't stop shaking.

I don't handle stress very well at all, its part of my disability. And no thanks to this guy I am not sure I ever want to go camp again.

So now in hindsight I wonder if I should have let the cops show up. He just said that to scare me. Nice guy ha. Then at least I could have showed them my paper work and made him look like the *bleep*. But there's that mental brain again saying that you have no rights. YOUR A LOOSER. Thanks MR. park official for making me feel terrible.
And I know I am not a looser just my brain thinks that sometimes.
And just because I don't ride around in a wheel chair or shows sign of a physical disability doesn't make me any less disabled. I have a brain that doesn't work right. And today the park manager got to see it. Thanks
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Disability not visable

Post by gman313 »

I'm not completely understanding why Bear Creek needs to see your PWD designation - is it to get a certain rate?

Anyways I am happy to help you anyway I can. I have access to computer and printer and fax and will gladly send them any information if it saves you a trip.

You are an amazing person for having the courage to get up and face your challenges every day and I commend you for doing so.

F anyone that thinks otherwise including the park manager.

Side note, I absolutely think you should have let this dingbat call the cops on you

:130:
willow2

Post by willow2 »

Thank you for your understanding.
And to answer your question, a person with disabilities is entitled to stay at any provincial park for free.
And that includes people on CPP WCB or PWD.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

willow2 wrote:Thank you for your understanding.
And to answer your question, a person with disabilities is entitled to stay at any provincial park for free.
And that includes people on CPP WCB or PWD.

didn't know that - thank you

I have had the privilege of working with the fine folks in that office so this is probably a long shot but could they not fax a copy to Bear Creek?

you may just be posting all of this as an FYI as well which is fine - not sure if you are still at the park or not.

Anyways I found the information online:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/fees/disability.html

Unfortunately it does specifically say the release form is required but there is absolutely no reason to upset another human being over it - they could have been significantly nicer.
willow2

Post by willow2 »

The forms that I have access to thru my self serve do not look at all like the one the provincial parks.
And further more what difference does it make if I show you I receive disability or give you permission to go look yourself. Further more they require that I give out discloser forms to every park I stay at.

For me I find it a little disturbing to give out this kind of information to just some guy that works for the park. Who in this case is just a contractor. Bad enough I give almost all the information they could possible need. My drivers license my license plate number my address, my phone number. What else do you need just to camp in a provincial park.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

willow2 wrote:The forms that I have access to thru my self serve do not look at all like the one the provincial parks.
And further more what difference does it make if I show you I receive disability or give you permission to go look yourself. Further more they require that I give out discloser forms to every park I stay at.

For me I find it a little disturbing to give out this kind of information to just some guy that works for the park. Who in this case is just a contractor. Bad enough I give almost all the information they could possible need. My drivers license my license plate number my address, my phone number. What else do you need just to camp in a provincial park.

totally agree - it was one thing when the parks were run by actual government employees now they are just private contractors that have your info.

Only way to even possibly have those requirements changed is to reach out to your provincial MLA (assuming you don't live in the vacant westside riding)
willow2

Post by willow2 »

Thank you,
Today I wrote a letter to the provincial park telling them my story.
I also sent a complaint to the ombudsmen, which they called and gave me further instruction on how to proceed with this matter.
Guess we will see what happens, keep you posted.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

willow2 wrote:Thank you,
I also sent a complaint to the ombudsmen, which they called and gave me further instruction on how to proceed with this matter.

good on you for calling them on it
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

willow2 wrote:Thank you,

Soooo good on you!
Maybe it's my anti establishment nature... no wait it is, I would have waited for the cops too. Sadly, the next post would be how you were detained and/or arrested. You know because policy and law. I could only hope that the cops could see through and use their discretion as the front line of the justice system.

I too also commend you for your courage, particularly with these posts im reading

Sadly again, I've been waiting for castabullies to berate. Happy to see this hasn't happened...ugh, yet :(
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

willow2 I am so sorry you had to go through that. But I was so happy to read that you get that you're not a loser, but it's just your brain sometimes. I understand that. I think that you are wonderful to handle it as well as you have. I think it is great that you are following up on this - you are making the world a better place for the next person who has that issue.

Not all disabilities are visible, and that's okay. I have asthma and fibromyalgia (minor), depression and anxiety. None of them are visible and for the longest time I felt subpar. But I know now, and it sounds like you know too, that just because it isn't seen doesn't make it a real issue.

Kudos for handling this! Especially with anxiety :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

it's too bad they couldn't have accepted the paper you gave them at that time, and then you would know for next time that you need a consent to release/disclosure of information from the office directly, not the paper you can print showing confirmation of assistance.

for future reference though, now you will know what the proper paperwork is that you need so there are no potential run-ins with people like that.

Return to “Health”