Pneumonia is out there

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Pneumonia is out there

Post by Lady tehMa »

Pneumonia is out there, so if you have ANY lung issues watch your breathing, and watch for a fever. This thing appears to be no respecter of age. My son had it, I have it, and my friend knows of one other who has it.

How long has it been since you've heard of pneumonia cropping up? This thing is NASTY.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pneumonia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20204678

The signs and symptoms of pneumonia vary from mild to severe, depending on factors such as the type of germ causing the infection, and your age and overall health. Mild signs and symptoms often are similar to those of a cold or flu, but they last longer.

Signs and symptoms of pneumonia may include:

Chest pain when you breathe or cough
Confusion or changes in mental awareness (in adults age 65 and older)

They are not kidding about this one. I'm under 50 and yesterday morning before I started on my antibiotics I referred to my doctor by the name of the one I had previous to him. Twice. I couldn't understand why my husband was looking at me like that.

Cough, which may produce phlegm
Fatigue
Fever, sweating and shaking chills
Lower than normal body temperature (in adults older than age 65 and people with weak immune systems)
Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Shortness of breath

Newborns and infants may not show any sign of the infection. Or they may vomit, have a fever and cough, appear restless or tired and without energy, or have difficulty breathing and eating.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Pneumonia is out there

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Pneumonia has always been around. Usually people have some susceptibility to it, such as previous case of the flu, asthma, recent surgery or anesthesia, bed ridden , the elderly, the very young, aspiration of some liquid, but anyone can get it. People at risk, those over age 60 are encouraged to get pneumonia vaccination, although it doesn't cover all types, it still reduces chances.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Pneumonia is out there

Post by TreeGuy »

Also watch for walking pneumonia.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/walking-pneumonia#1

Return to “Health”