Doctors and big pharma killing you

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.

Re: Doctors and big pharma killing you

Postby Merry » Jul 18th, 2018, 10:01 am

alanjh595 wrote:Choices have benefits and repercussions. Weigh out differences and choose wisely.

That doesn't help if you believe that your doctor has overprescribed a particular drug, but you want to go on holiday to Mexico.

If you refuse to take the drug the doctor prescribed, your travel health insurance can deny you coverage in the event you make a claim while on holiday (even if not taking the drug in question had absolutely NO bearing on whatever it is your claiming for).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 5241 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 18th, 2018, 10:09 am

Merry wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Choices have benefits and repercussions. Weigh out differences and choose wisely.

That doesn't help if you believe that your doctor has overprescribed a particular drug, but you want to go on holiday to Mexico.

If you refuse to take the drug the doctor prescribed, your travel health insurance can deny you coverage in the event you make a claim while on holiday (even if not taking the drug in question had absolutely NO bearing on whatever it is your claiming for).

I had never thought about it. Is that just for life supporting meds. or does that include life comforting meds.?

Big difference between Dilantin and Oxycontin.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3592 posts

Postby Merry » Jul 18th, 2018, 11:34 am

alanjh595 wrote:I had never thought about it. Is that just for life supporting meds. or does that include life comforting meds.?

Big difference between Dilantin and Oxycontin.

I suspect it would depend on both the insurance adjuster at the time, and the particular circumstance that arose, but the point is that you wouldn't know for sure until you actually made a claim.

Read the fine print on your travel insurance policy; most of them state that refusing to follow your doctor's advice is reason for them to deny a future claim.

So, if your doctor orders a diagnostic test, or a drug, and you refuse, you're laying yourself open to the possibility that a future travel insurance claim may be denied.

Which is a good reason to consider changing doctors if you think yours is a bit too quick to prescribe unnecessarily (or to order unnecessary tests).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Postby Omnitheo » Jul 18th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Merry wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:If people are being prescribed drugs they don’t need, wouldn’t it be the doctor who is killing them?

Yes, but the heavy sales tactics employed by the pharmaceutical companies also play a role.

Pharmaceutical companies can’t write prescriptions.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3788 posts

Postby Merry » Jul 18th, 2018, 9:40 pm

The pharmaceutical companies may not write the actual prescriptions, but they frequently fund the committees that draw up the guidelines regarding what is appropriate treatment for certain illnesses and diseases (specifying which drugs should be used, and at what dosage).
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e35389639/

Those are the guidelines that physicians refer to when deciding how best to treat a patient. Surely you can see the potential for a conflict of interest in such an arrangement.

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Postby the truth » Jul 28th, 2018, 7:55 am

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/23/asia/fau ... index.html just another example on how big pharma can not be trusted world wide
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6235 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 28th, 2018, 8:01 am

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6235 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jul 28th, 2018, 8:05 am

More like another argument for stronger regulations. China’s government is soft on regulating stuff like that, and in the absense of regulation, any company is going to take advantage to maximize profits. This is what libertarianism and arguments for smaller government are just asking for.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3788 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Jul 28th, 2018, 8:09 am

Omnitheo wrote:More like another argument for stronger regulations. China’s government is soft on regulating stuff like that, and in the absense of regulation, any company is going to take advantage to maximize profits. This is what libertarianism and arguments for smaller government are just asking for.

Ya regulation has worked wonders ...

Start with eating healthy. If they want to make regulations. Regulate fast food and packaged food out of business. Regulate salt and sugar. Regulate 60 minutes a day excercise

Do way more good there . Than any medicine. Or doctor could do . Those few things would make a huge difference to the health of the country. But no one even talks about it.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3205 posts

Postby Fancy » Jul 28th, 2018, 10:07 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Start with eating healthy. If they want to make regulations. Regulate fast food and packaged food out of business. Regulate salt and sugar. Regulate 60 minutes a day excercise

Do way more good there . Than any medicine. Or doctor could do . Those few things would make a huge difference to the health of the country. But no one even talks about it.

I hear people talking about it and even doing something about it i.e. playing golf
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6255 posts

Postby caffeine » Jul 29th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Life expectancy for a Canadian in 1921: 57 years old.
Live expectancy for a Canadian now: over 82 years old.
Doctors and Big Pharma are killing us . . . slowly . . . . don't mind the increased life expectancy bit . . . it's fake news . . . it's all a plot from the Deep Medical State . . . . sure we will live longer . . . . only to REALLY be killed later, when we are much older. By doctors, and Big Pharma.

Don't laugh . . . wake up people! Sometime over your decades of additional years from our ancestors - WAKE UP!

2 people like this post.
caffeine
Übergod

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Bestchum » Aug 8th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Western medicine is all about treating the symptom and not the problem. Masking issues with layers of drugs and taking more drugs to counteract those drugs side effects is a vicious cycle. I worked in a personal care home and to see the amount of medications they were pumping into these poor residents was sickening. Giving medicine for high blood pressure yet feeding them horrible salty low nutrition foods. Again a cycle.
I have a degree in Human nutrition and I understand how all this works. I also thought about becoming a pharma rep after university. I can just imagine all the sales tactics used to push products. It is wrong, and big pharma has a lot of power and money to support the government; why would our government want to rock the boat for the good of the people? Money is power and sick people make money for pharma. Imagine a system where we did diet and lifestyle planning that cost nothing. Where we had emotional supports and not medication. Where we used our breaks to practice stress reduction and had mandatory time off from work.
Aside from running for prime minister or protesting I think all of us can do things to change ways of thinking. Research is key. Look into what your ailment is; read about it. Go to your doctor and if you don't like what they tell you find another one. I have had countless bad experiences with Dr's who could care less. Find one who will listen and offer you choices. If your loved ones are sick read about their condition and help them to make good choices. You are your greatest advocate and you have the ability to read information and ask questions. Always be proactive. Most Dr's are taken aback when I ask them technical questions. I am not a sheep and neither should anyone be.
A realist

4 people like this post.
Bestchum

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 8th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Bestchum wrote:Western medicine is all about treating the symptom and not the problem.
Edited for brevity.

You and those that feel like you are perfectly welcome to either accept or reject
medications and/or the Dr's recommendations.

Why is it always those that have objections to modern medicine and pharmaceuticals that are the most outspoken and of the minority group ??

If you don't want what is offered, fine, don't take it, why do those that make that choice feel so self-righteous as to tell others what to do ??

How many that choose to take their Dr.'s advice and the medications that were prescribed, not on here tooting their horn that they have been saved and others should follow ??

Do whatever you want. Good luck.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Bestchum » Aug 10th, 2018, 12:19 pm

alanjh595 wrote:You and those that feel like you are perfectly welcome to either accept or reject

Those like me? Not one person has all the right answers. Doctor's are people just like everyone else. They make mistakes, they get tired, they get set in their ways, they become numb. People need to take charge of their own health by being their own advocate! The Dr who see's you for 15 minutes knows nothing about you. He see's what the symptom is and prescribes you with a medication that may or may not work. Everyone should think critically.

If I have a stressful life where I am working 2 jobs, not making enough money, kids, etc, life is tough...and I go to the Dr and he gives me Xanax my issues will suddenly go away? Or will I just be numb enough to function and continue on the same path that is slowly killing me. Is that really helping someone? Your body is telling you it is too much, but you just pop a pill and keep on going. That is not addressing the root issue.
Or
I am 270 lbs and smoke and suddenly I have high blood pressure and type II diabetes, the medicine to lower my blood pressure and keep my pancreas barely functioning is fixing the issue? My health will improve and I will live a life free of any further health issues? In fact I will probably drop dead from a heart attack before I reach retirement regardless of "lowered blood pressure" and "normal blood sugar".
People need to look at health as a whole. It is not just one thing. A doctor can help you with one small portion only. Not one person has all the answers. Pharma pushes an agenda and are out to make money. They market to media and to dr's. I am not saying live in the woods and reject western medicine, I am saying look into your health concerns prior and be informed.
A realist

SuperMom likes this post.
Bestchum

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 10th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Bestchum wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:You and those that feel like you are perfectly welcome to either accept or reject

Those like me? Not one person has all the right answers. Doctor's are people just like everyone else.
Yes they are. They also have many years of education and training, how many you got ? You are just one body and have never witnessed how treatment can affect others. You don't have any experience to refer to. You are guessing and your guess may kill you.
They make mistakes, they get tired, they get set in their ways, they become numb. People need to take charge of their own health by being their own advocate!
That's great! That means that you have the choice to take the Doctor's recommendations or not. Your choice, his advice.
The Dr who see's you for 15 minutes knows nothing about you. He see's what the symptom is and prescribes you with a medication that may or may not work. Everyone should think critically.
How does anyone know if it will or will not work without trying? If it doesn't work, try another one.

If I have a stressful life where I am working 2 jobs, not making enough money, kids, etc, life is tough...and I go to the Dr and he gives me Xanax my issues will suddenly go away? Or will I just be numb enough to function and continue on the same path that is slowly killing me.
If you are so aware of your own body and the demands that you are placing upon it, why not make appropriate changes to your choices ? What do expect a DR. to do ? Tell you to find another job with more money ? You have created the problem and now you want a Dr. to fix it for you ?
Is that really helping someone? Your body is telling you it is too much, but you just pop a pill and keep on going. That is not addressing the root issue.
What IS the ROOT issue ? Not enough money ? Too many kids ? Poor life choices ? Someone asks the Dr. for help, and the only help he can offer is medically based, he gives you something to ease your distress until you can clear your mind, take a break and find a solution to the problem that you created in the first place.
Or
I am 270 lbs and smoke and suddenly I have high blood pressure and type II diabetes, the medicine to lower my blood pressure and keep my pancreas barely functioning is fixing the issue?
Geeez...maybe you should blame someone other than the Dr. ? Did he cause these problems, or did you make the conscious and informed decisions for yourself ?
My health will improve and I will live a life free of any further health issues? In fact I will probably drop dead from a heart attack before I reach retirement regardless of "lowered blood pressure" and "normal blood sugar".
There are pills for that.
People need to look at health as a whole. It is not just one thing. A doctor can help you with one small portion only. Not one person has all the answers. Pharma pushes an agenda and are out to make money. They market to media and to dr's. I am not saying live in the woods and reject western medicine, I am saying look into your health concerns prior and be informed.
Part of being informed IS looking into your health concerns, and your family history.
alanjh595
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Health