Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
gardeningexpert

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by gardeningexpert »

I have several friends who are teachers and every time I see them,which is frequently, I ask them if there is any new news regarding the strike and whether there is a liklihood of school starting back up in September. Every time I ask this, they each tell me they have no news and they "know nothing". How can this be? How can it be that the BCTF is not keeping it's members abreast of any information? I realize there isn't any bargaining taking place for teachers (and why is that?); however, for teachers to have no knowledge is just plain frightening. Teachers, please think long and hard about the position your union has left you in. You are facing financial strife, your morale is suffering, your relationships with students and parents has been impacted significantly, and you have no clue about where you are headed. So many of you are hard-working, caring, effective teachers and you deserve better from your union.

I want to make it clear that I'm not a blind government supporter. I work under a public sector union and although I would have loved to have a larger wage increase (that I believe my well-educated fellow colleagues are VERY deserving of), increased medical coverage, and better conditions for the population with whom I work, I am appreciative that my colleagues and I will be receiving any increase in a time where we are still recovering from recession. Teachers, you MUST hold your union accountable. Your union leader is ruining your careers.
Last edited by gardeningexpert on Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

gardeningexpert wrote:I have several friends who are teachers and every time I see them,which is frequently, I ask them if there is any new news regarding the strike and whether there is a liklihood of school starting back up in September. Every time I ask this, they each tell me they have no news and they "know nothing". How can this be? How can it be that the BCTF is not keeping it's members abreast of any information? I realize there isn't any bargaining taking place for teachers (and why is that?); however, for teachers to have no knowledge is just plain frightening. Teachers, please think long and hard about the position your union has left you in. You are facing financial strife, your morale is suffering, your relationships with students and parents has been impacted significantly, and you have no clue about where your headed. So many of you are hard-working, caring, effective teachers and you deserve better from your union.

I want to make it clear that I'm not a blind government supporter. I work under a public sector union and although I would have loved to have a larger wage increase (that I believe my well-educated fellow colleagues are VERY deserving of), increased medical coverage, and better conditions for the population with whom I work, I am appreciative that my colleagues and I will be receiving any increase in a time where we are still recovering from recession. Teachers, you MUST hold your union accountable. Your union leader is ruining your careers.

Nothing has changed so there is nothing to report. You have two bull headed entities going at it (well until the summer holidays hit) and no one is budging. Going to be some cheap repo cars and houses out there come fall.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

gardeningexpert wrote:I have several friends who are teachers and every time I see them,which is frequently, I ask them if there is any new news regarding the strike and whether there is a liklihood of school starting back up in September. Every time I ask this, they each tell me they have no news and they "know nothing". How can this be? How can it be that the BCTF is not keeping it's members abreast of any information? I realize there isn't any bargaining taking place for teachers (and why is that?); however, for teachers to have no knowledge is just plain frightening. Teachers, please think long and hard about the position your union has left you in. You are facing financial strife, your morale is suffering, your relationships with students and parents has been impacted significantly, and you have no clue about where your headed. So many of you are hard-working, caring, effective teachers and you deserve better from your union.

Well said! Teachers gave their union leadership that strike mandate before dollar amounts were put on any of the union proposals. BCPSEA kept asking Iker and company for the numbers but there was silence until after teachers actually went out on strike. That's preposterous. The ridiculous demands (e.g. $5,000 signing bonus and $3,000 for massages) and the timing of the walkout clearly show a union leadership that is not up to the task of negotiating a contract on behalf of its members.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I was shocked to see a picket line up this morning in Vernon. I doubt its still up by noon. Good for the teachers to keep it up over their summer holiday.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Hassel99 wrote:I was shocked to see a picket line up this morning in Vernon. I doubt its still up by noon. Good for the teachers to keep it up over their summer holiday.

I hope that you stopped at Tim Horton's and brought them all muffins and coffee. Apparently that's what everyone is supposed to do if/when the teachers show up on the picket line.
Not afraid to say "It".
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

On page 513 of this forum, I indicated a possible legislated settlement to this strike/lockout. I sent the information to BCPSEA, BCTF, MLA Letnik, and the Premier's office. I received a short statement of thanks from BCPSEA, and form replies from Letnik and BCTF. However, I did receive the following reply from the Premier's office.

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your concerns and suggestions relating to issues surrounding teachers’ bargaining.

In early July, the parties held exploratory discussions with Justice Stephen Kelleher to determine whether the time was right for mediation. The BCPSEA and the BCTF agreed that Justice Kelleher would be an acceptable mediator. Unfortunately, the BCTF executive would not commit to tabling a set of demands that fall in the same affordability zone as the other public sector agreements reached to date. Justice Kelleher found that mediation is not indicated at this time. To learn more, please visit the following websites:

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/07/education-minister-peter-fassbenders-statement-on-the-status-of-negotiations.html

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/07/status-of-discussions-with-the-bctf.html

We are continuing to work towards a negotiated settlement and, in that light, on July 16, 2014, the BC Public School Employers’ Association’s (BCPSEA) Chief Negotiator, Peter Cameron, contacted the BC Teachers’ Federation (BCTF) President Jim Iker to discuss the status of negotiations.

We want to assure you that BCPSEA stands ready to negotiate anytime, with or without a mediator, so that the next school year is not impacted. Government wants to see a negotiated agreement but remains firm in its commitment to balance the budget and deal fairly with all 300,000 B.C. public sector workers.

In closing, we want a lasting, negotiated settlement that protects education for students, is fair for teachers and puts the system on a path to stability for everyone. We have noted your suggestions, and will be sure to include your feedback in any related discussions moving forward.

Again, thank you for writing.

While I may not agree with all parts of the government's negotiating position, I do respect the fact that someone in the Premier's office took the time and effort to provide a thoughtful and non form letter reply. It is this political savvy that allowed them to win the last election. It also indicates just how far out of step with the general public the public relations department at BCTF is.

My guess is that by mid September a well crafted piece of legislation is presented to a recalled legislature forcing the teachers back to work for a period of two years. It will also include some reference to the BCSC appeal. Anybody else have any thoughts?
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Legislation will solve nothing and a two year contract( if that is the length of the contract) will put us right back where we are in about 6 months as I believe that is how long a two year contract would run. Others can correct me if I am wrong.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

http://www.news1130.com/2014/07/23/bctf ... ing-table/

[Iker] says the next step has to be mediation, despite the minister saying that’s not an option right now unless teachers lower their demands. “I think we’ve compromised a lot. We’ve moved way down in terms of our original salary proposal which was very reasonable and now we’ve moved to within one per cent.”

Two mediators have already declined an invitation to fix all this. “I’m surprised that this has gone on for as long as it has. We could have been in mediation in the last few days of June and I believe we could have reached a settlement,” Iker adds.

"Two mediators have already declined an invitation" vs "We could have been in mediation in the last few days of June"... a bit of a contradiction.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

LordEd wrote:[Iker] says the next step has to be mediation, despite the minister saying that’s not an option right now unless teachers lower their demands. “I think we’ve compromised a lot. We’ve moved way down in terms of our original salary proposal which was very reasonable and now we’ve moved to within one per cent.”

Two mediators have already declined an invitation to fix all this. “I’m surprised that this has gone on for as long as it has. We could have been in mediation in the last few days of June and I believe we could have reached a settlement,” Iker adds.

"Two mediators have already declined an invitation" vs "We could have been in mediation in the last few days of June"... a bit of a contradiction.

Do you know *why* the mediator declined? Because the govt is insisting on preconditions that they know the BCTF wouldn't accept. You can't have mediation if one party has preconditions. The BCTF is willing to move in all areas - the govt, not so much.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

What are these preconditions anyway? Have they been clearly reported?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Of course the teachers can move. Their position is ridiculous on many areas. The government shoukd have opened with a 50% wage cut so they can do a teacher style "we moved" to the press when they change it to only a 10% cut.

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

One aspect the government will NOT talk about in negotiations and which remains a sticking point for teachers as well as parents:
Attachments
CSC.JPG
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:One aspect the government will NOT talk about in negotiations and which remains a sticking point for teachers as well as parents:
Money to address class size and composition issues has been discussed and the government has an offer on the table that includes money in those areas as well as teacher involvement in a committee that would decide where the money goes. So when you say that the government will "NOT" talk about these issues you're wrong. However, the BCTF's demands in these areas are simply unaffordable and the government is not willing to hand over control of CSC to the BCTF.

We had a teacher on one of these threads recently who said that it was unacceptable for him/her to be forced to take in another student when his/her principal asked if in his/her opinion that was one student too many. Well, it might or might not be one student too many but it's not up to teachers or the union to make those decisions. Individual teachers or the BCTF can't be given control over the provincial budget and that fact will be made clear in the new contract.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

That is a ridiculous position, urbane, and you know it.

Should the BCTF not recognize all the problems that teachers say exist?
The current system that you support just does not work.
The current method of 'consultation' simply dumps too many SN students in many classes.

If the govt. Were smart..they would substantially increase funding and negotiate a number range...say 1 to 3.
That is, try to keep everyone out of court and save taxpayers millions
Or pay a huge bill when the court case is lost.
But..I fear they are not smart and think punishing the BCTF, students, teachers, and parents is the way to go.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Return to “Social Concerns”