Back to school . . . when?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

The kids will be back in school:

Sept. 2-5
4%
Sept. 8-12
2%
Sept. 15-19
4%
Sept. 22-26
18%
Sept.29-Oct. 3
16%
Oct. 6-10
10%
Oct. 13-17
18%
Oct. 20-24
8%
Longer
20%

Total votes: 50

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Back to school . . . when?

Post by Lady tehMa »

So, when do you think the public school students will be back in school?

I was chatting with a friend (her kids are in public) and she and another public-school mom are of the opinion that September will be a write-off.

My kids go to an independent school, they'll be back in class September 2nd.

Some of you may think I didn't add enough options, just choose "Longer" and give a date.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Back to school . . . when?

Post by Hassel99 »

I said Oct 13-17. The reason being is that the Legislature sits on the 9th and it takes 3 days or so to pass legislation.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

The government said it will not legislate them back and I think that is a good thing. The bctf would not be happy about legislation and who knows what will happen then?
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Hassel99 wrote:I said Oct 13-17. The reason being is that the Legislature sits on the 9th and it takes 3 days or so to pass legislation.

I have to agree with you there. In spite of the positive words of Premier Clarke "...Clark, speaking to reporters during a funding announcement for Kelowna's new $35M Okanagan Centre for Innovation, says the only way to ensure long term labour peace is through a 10 year agreement.

"We all agree teachers deserve a fair raise. We all agree we need to deal with class composition and make sure classrooms are working for kids and we all agree we need labour peace," says Clark. http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-119952-1-.htm#119952

I do no see a settlement before October unless the Premier's Office becomes directly involved or there is a move to arbitration.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I voted for October 13-17 but "Longer" seems just as likely. The government is determined, at least at this point, not to legislate the teachers back to work and even considerable public pressure might not convince the government change its mind. The BCTF is opposed to the teachers being legislated back to work, the NDP is presumably opposed to the teachers being legislated back to work, and the government is against it as well. So we're likely closer to the beginning of this strike than we are to the end of this strike.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I really don't care ....

Mine will be in class Sept 2.

But I chose longer ... I don't think the teacher will pull their heads from their buts till they REALLY have too.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I think the government is hoping for a win with their appeal re: Christy's illegal contract stripping back in 2002 when Christy was in charge of Ed and tore up the CSC contract language. Her dream of a 10-year contract is out of touch with reality. But, that is par for the course with her.....
Chill
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:I think the government is hoping for a win with their appeal re: Christy's illegal contract stripping back in 2002 when Christy was in charge of Ed and tore up the CSC contract language. Her dream of a 10-year contract is out of touch with reality. But, that is par for the course with her.....

The government has already won on that. The teachers never should have been given those rights in the first place, and they can thank Glen Clark and his NDP government for the fact they got them. The public has turned against the BCTF. It's time to stop with this "stripping" nonsense and move to "removed rights that were only given due to a government being in power at the time that was paid for by union cash".
Not afraid to say "It".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Perhaps in the fall we'll see parents going into schools and teaching students?? Maybe some retired and unemployed teachers as well?? The way things are working now the rights of the students, parents, and taxpayers are taking a back seat to the rights of the teachers. The government has given no indication that it will legislate teachers back to work and we're hearing from at least one teacher on here that teachers might not go back to work even if they are legislated back. This strike could last a very long time so how do we start to protect the rights of students, parents, and taxpayers? We know that there are long waiting lists at some independent schools and long term I expect independent school enrolment to grow but what about the short term?
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Urbane wrote:and we're hearing from at least one teacher on here that teachers might not go back to work even if they are legislated back.
I doubt the bctf willl permit that. It would be hard to their court case and public opinion that the gov is ignoring law but teachers can do what they want.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

LordEd wrote:I doubt the bctf willl permit that. It would be hard to their court case and public opinion that the gov is ignoring law but teachers can do what they want.
You wouldn't think so particularly with the heavy fines that would be levelled against the union but don't count on the BCTF leadership to necessarily make the right decision. Remember as well that the BCTF has taken its members out on illegal strikes before which reminds us of the motto, "Do as I say, not as I do."
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Allowing the strike to go on as long as possible supports the government's position. They are permitting the teachers to strike and bargain wages and CSC, which is their right. The government is saying 'no' to the demands, which is their right.

At some point, probably when the school year can't be extended into spring or summer breaks or would be cut too far to be considered 'essential', it will get legislated. I don't know if they are required to legislate it with the last offer, or if they can stick a '0' on it and try again next year.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Allowing the strike to go on as long as possible supports the government's position.

And from someone who makes 47k a year ... I support the Gov't.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

Lady tehMa wrote:So, when do you think the public school students will be back in school?

I was chatting with a friend (her kids are in public) and she and another public-school mom are of the opinion that September will be a write-off.

My kids go to an independent school, they'll be back in class September 2nd.

Some of you may think I didn't add enough options, just choose "Longer" and give a date.

Apparently Iker and the BCTF are on Summer holidays , funny how they want to negotiate and strike on our time , but their summer break is off limits . Iker has not answered any calls , so i doubt they will be in , in sept .They don't want to talk during their time off , well I bet the government won't rush when the BCTF runs to the media whining near Labour day .

For the time loss and inconvenience to parents I hope they don't get a damn dime . They should go back to work , be happy that they have jobs , and shut up . They have lost our trust and must earn it back , and if they persist with this path of whining and entitlist ways , well the government should legislate a "Voucher System" and allow parents to choose where their children are taught.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe its time for Ministry of Education to start year around classes, do away with summer vacation. Oh right BCTF leadership would be against this, sorry they are not the employer (sometimes us taxpayers wonder who's actually running Ministry of Education).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”