BCTF Facebook page

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jamapple
Übergod

Re: BCTF Facebook page

Post by jamapple »

flamingfingers wrote:Ah yes... the power of the 'digital influencers' at work again. But of course, all Facebook posts are the true and genuine article and to be believed as gospel, right?

Boy, you sure got sucked in again!

Are you insinuating that these teachers posts on there are to throw off the general public as not the truth?? If your answer is yes to that, you just called all your teacher friend/posters liars. If it's NOT the gospel truth then what is it?? I figured there would be someone come on here defending these antics, and you did'nt disappoint!
Again, I started this to let parents see for themselves what is being spewed by you and your little friends. Defend it all you want, but Joe Public isn't going to buy it, or be very happy about it. The bullying a single mom on there made me sick, as did the many other comments made by your thugs!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

flamingfingers wrote:Union dues come out of the teachers' pay. My tax money comes directly out of MY pocket.

And where do you think teachers pay comes from if not directly out of your and my pockets?.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Once paid to the teachers by way of wages, it becomes THEIR money, to do with what they wish. Are you going to tell the teachers that they cannot spend their money on fine wine, a movie treat with their kids, the occasional McDonald's just because YOU don't think it is an 'appropriate way' to spend THEIR money???
Chill
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:
Union dues come out of the teachers' pay. My tax money comes directly out of MY pocket.

There is a difference or didn't you know that?

LOL - firstly you have to earn money to pay taxes (though I guess welfare counts) and secondly this whole discussion about tax dollars, which is totally off-topic anyway, is based on some stupid false premise you floated about how the BC Liberals are using "tax money" to pay for "digital influencers", which is probably in all probability not true, and if true in any respect, would be fraud, which we know is more the NDP's bag anyway (Bingo anyone?). But congrats on floating the stupid false premise and then milking it.

As for the NDP - it is a fact that unions give them a lot of money, and that should not be allowed.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Logun
Fledgling

Post by Logun »

I took a quick glance but couldn't find what you were referencing in the first post. Can you please let me know date/time and and names so I can search and read what you read?

Did anyone else here actually read it?
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

It was the comments section of a post shared by BCTF on Sept 18th. I wont name names, but there is a teacher from here in Kelowna that is very unprofessional, as well as a barrage of bullying against a single mom who went on there saying she sisn't side with them, but with the students. She was then asked if she had donated anything to their fund for teachers while out on strike, and the slinging started. This woman is in the military, and deserves some respect from these people, (even though she doesn't share their position fully), as anyone who goes on there and says anything remotely against their views. Their damage control from the kisking they took in the arena of public opinion is not very well served when Joe average can go onto their sitre and see exactly how they act, and the things they say about us parents, and taxpayers who pay their wages.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

flamingfingers wrote:Once paid to the teachers by way of wages, it becomes THEIR money, to do with what they wish. Are you going to tell the teachers that they cannot spend their money on fine wine, a movie treat with their kids, the occasional McDonald's just because YOU don't think it is an 'appropriate way' to spend THEIR money???

So once paid to the Liberal MLA's by way of wages, it becomes their money, to do with what they wish. Are you going to tell the Liberal MLA's that they cannot spend their money on fine wine, a movie treat with their kids, the occasional McDonald's just because YOU don't think it is an 'appropriate way' to spend THEIR money???
Logun
Fledgling

Post by Logun »

k Thanks, I didn't get the same feeling as you did. That one girl could definitely calm down a bit though.

The CAF lady raised an interesting point however out of context she tried to use it - The UN Rights of a Child is applicable to the governments - not to the people. It is a document stating the government's responsibility. Therefore the government is the only one who violated that charter of rights.

Pre-emptively let me say that's not spinning anything, that's just the black and white facts. There is nothing stopping all teachers for quitting at once. It is the government's responsibility to provide education to the children and they had many options available to them to accomplish that.

As some people here said, the government could have told the teachers to return to work or be fired (Reagan 1981). The government could have legislated an end to the strike, or it could declare education an essential service.

I did not get the sense that she was attacked, nor was anyone what I would say was unprofessional. I think the worst of it was telling her to get off her high horse. Much more tame than the vitriol spewed throughout this thread.

She said she was ordered not to take sides in this debate, yet here she is posting on a very public forum. I would say that those orders were a bit suspect, if not her interpretation of them was.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

So once paid to the Liberal MLA's by way of wages, it becomes their money, to do with what they wish. Are you going to tell the Liberal MLA's that they cannot spend their money on fine wine, a movie treat with their kids, the occasional McDonald's just because YOU don't think it is an 'appropriate way' to spend THEIR money???

While I may resent the heck out of paying those overpaid trough-hogs anything, I would not be so crass as to tell them not to spend their 'wages' on a second home, boats, mistresses or exorbitant fees for Liberal Party membership.
Chill
Logun
Fledgling

Post by Logun »

Also there will always be bad apples in every barrel. Up to you if you want to paint everyone by the same brush. Here's what I take away from that:

... Did you mean to post that comment under mine? I'm not sure where you're coming from. I'm not a teacher, I'm a parent, and I certainly have no intention of sitting in a child's classroom venting any frustrations on them... I'm actually quite happy! This fight for better support in the classroom isn't over though! Agreement accepted, yes, but it's not nearly enough... not by a landslide! All this agreement was, was damage control. Teachers and the BCTF gained a drop in the bucket. This fight isn't over. As for the teachers... their hearts are in the right place. Some of them are incredibly frustrated, but as soon as they see all those young faces, they will be reminded why they've been fighting so hard, and they will find their determination and passion renewed!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Logun wrote: Some of them are incredibly frustrated, but as soon as they see all those young faces, they will be reminded why they've been fighting so hard, and they will find their determination and passion renewed!

I hope this poster is right about this. There were a lot of comments from some of the more embittered militant members about how they were going to take their frustrations out on the kids. I hope those clowns are fired, as fast as possible, if indeed they do try something like that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Logun
Fledgling

Post by Logun »

The Green Barbarian wrote:There were a lot of comments from some of the more embittered militant members about how they were going to take their frustrations out on the kids. I hope those clowns are fired, as fast as possible, if indeed they do try something like that.

Really? I saw none. Can you please direct me to some of them
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Logun wrote:
Really? I saw none. Can you please direct me to some of them

Time to do your own homework.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Logun wrote:
I think you're lying and making things up. Show me a date with the comment you're referencing and I'll eat crow.

Carmencat wrote:To the original question, I answer by posting the last two paragraphs of a letter written by a teacher named Jim McMurtry:

The govenment is also gambling by thinking that a protracted strike will break the BCTF. What they are not considering is the effect this will have on schools once the feud is over, for 40,000 teachers are not going to roll over.

The aftermath of the strike may prove as harmful to students, with spiritless schools and the cancellation of extracurricular activities, field trips, and lunchtime and afterschool tutoring.

From what I can see this teacher has no 'morals' where his students are concerned, strike or no strike. He takes no responsibility in the fact that teachers CHOSE to strike. And the only way the aftermath would cause 'spiritless schools' is if the teachers are too self absorbed to put the kids ahead of their own delusional hate. I am sure many teachers are much more mature than Mr McMurtry, but for those who are not I pity any child who has no choice other than be 'taught' by someone of the same ilk as McMurtry.

Carmencat wrote:Apparently McMurtry is not alone in his lack of caring about the people he is supposed to care the most about - the kids. In a Globe and Mail article another teacher said that morale was waning on the picket lines and some of his colleagues might not be able to immediately put their hearts back into the job. "This is going to be a different year. Some teachers after all this may just go and teach. They will forgo extra curricular activities like running clubs, coaching teams".

So once again - aren't teachers participating in these activities because they want to? How in the world is going on strike and walking out on the kids translate into carrying on like children themselves and withdrawing their participation in these activities? Are they making a statement by ditching the kids? There are all kinds of reasons not to participate in extra curricular activities, but punishing the kids becuase the BCTF led their members into an unnecessary strike is not one of them.

As far as teachers not being able to put their hearts into their jobs - then they are there for the wrong reasons. Every teacher should be thrilled to see their students and make them feel welcome and missed. After all without the students, they would not have a job to begin with.

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=58667&start=30

Now spin this the way you want, but it's just going to be a waste of your time.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

flamingfingers wrote: exorbitant fees for Liberal Party membership.

$10 for 4 years is exorbitant?

From what I can tell, the NDP want $40 a year. Must be an exclusionary party with exorbitant fees like that. https://secure.bcndp.org/drupal/civicrm ... et=1&id=30
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Social Concerns”