Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

flamingfingers wrote:LOL!! Considering how you have vilified, disparaged, denigrated, reviled, abused, maligned, badmouthed

You mean like a certain someone when the topic is the Premier?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

flamingfingers wrote:
LOL!! Considering how you have vilified, disparaged, denigrated, reviled, abused, maligned, badmouthed all teachers and KGT in particular, I can about imagine how 'professional' you are in dealing with teachers on a daily basis that you despise and hate so intensely!! Tell me another one, eh?

Or are you a daycare worker/babysitter looking after their kids while their teacher parents work? And feel you are underappreciated, underpaid and undervalued? Now we can see where your vindictiveness comes from!!

But isn't it possible to just put a smile on your face once you enter the door of the workplace and everything is just normal and professional?
Why is it possible for one and not the other?
You and 71 others Like this post
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The BCTF, which already has the $108 million from the province, is blaming school districts but there is no bonus money yet for teachers. Even though teachers must belong to the union I guess it's too much to ask the BCTF to maintain its own records. This is just another example of teachers not being well served by their union.

No cheque in the mail for teachers yet

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980
Shane Woodford
November 07, 2014 04:04 pm

Almost two months after reaching a new six year deal with the BC Government teachers are still waiting for bonus cheques to arrive in the mail from the BC Teachers Federation.

As part of the six year deal with the provincial government the teacher’s union was handed a one time payment of $108-million to use as it sees fit after it agreed to drop grievance actions.

The $108-million was transferred to the BCTF from the province on October the ninth but teachers who were supposed to get a bonus cheque from those funds are still waiting.

The teacher’s union says they are at the mercy of BC’s school districts who are working to get them information about each teachers employment status.

The union says that information is needed to determine how much each teacher ultimately gets from the 108-million.

The BCTF couldn’t say exactly when they might have all the needed information to get the cheques in the mail
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:The BCTF, which already has the $108 million from the province, is blaming school districts but there is no bonus money yet for teachers. Even though teachers must belong to the union I guess it's too much to ask the BCTF to maintain its own records. This is just another example of teachers not being well served by their union.

No cheque in the mail for teachers yet

Vancouver, BC, Canada / (CKNW AM) AM980
Shane Woodford
November 07, 2014 04:04 pm

Almost two months after reaching a new six year deal with the BC Government teachers are still waiting for bonus cheques to arrive in the mail from the BC Teachers Federation.

As part of the six year deal with the provincial government the teacher’s union was handed a one time payment of $108-million to use as it sees fit after it agreed to drop grievance actions.

The $108-million was transferred to the BCTF from the province on October the ninth but teachers who were supposed to get a bonus cheque from those funds are still waiting.

The teacher’s union says they are at the mercy of BC’s school districts who are working to get them information about each teachers employment status.

The union says that information is needed to determine how much each teacher ultimately gets from the 108-million.

The BCTF couldn’t say exactly when they might have all the needed information to get the cheques in the mail

You think the BCTF should have a record of the exact details of every part time teacher's working percentage, who was laid off at the end of June, who was hired for a temp contract, who is doing a mat leave etc? Other than needing this uber detailed information for the divvying up of a one time cheque, when else would they need or use this info? And how would they get this information? Are you suggesting that every time a member has a change in their job, they should be logging in and updating the database? And if so, would the BCTF not have to confirm this information? And how would they confirm the job info if not from the school boards? I find your suggestion very confusing, urbane. It seems to me you are just looking at a way to make this the BCTF's fault.

FYI, the BCTF did not receive the money until October 9. Then they had to meet with bcpsea to have the distribution plan approved. Now they have to wait until each school board sends the necessary data so that they can distribute the money.

Woodford has conveniently left out these details.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Well, I wouldn't be dividing that "bonus" money up in a way that necessitates that "uber detailed information." Just because the BCTF did it one way doesn't mean it's the only way or even the best way. Of course when the government took far less time to get out those daycare support cheques some people screamed loudly that the cheques should have gone out sooner. No problem now though when it's the BCTF because there are lots of excuses to absolve the BCTF of any blame (for anything).
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:^^ Well, I wouldn't be dividing that "bonus" money up in a way that necessitates that "uber detailed information." Just because the BCTF did it one way doesn't mean it's the only way or even the best way. Of course when the government took far less time to get out those daycare support cheques some people screamed loudly that the cheques should have gone out sooner. No problem now though when it's the BCTF because there are lots of excuses to absolve the BCTF of any blame (for anything).

I don't really care how you think the BCTF should divide the money. You aren't in charge. And I'm sure there are as many opinions on how the money is divided as there are critics. I think you need to spend your time worrying about other issues in education rather than this fake concern about teachers not receiving their money on time. I have no doubt if the BCTF decided to divide the money evenly, you would criticize that was well.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:I don't really care how you think the BCTF should divide the money. You aren't in charge. And I'm sure there are as many opinions on how the money is divided as there are critics. I think you need to spend your time worrying about other issues in education rather than this fake concern about teachers not receiving their money on time. I have no doubt if the BCTF decided to divide the money evenly, you would criticize that was well.
Just because I'm not in charge doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. You're not in charge of the government so does that mean you're not entitled to critique those who are? Of course not. I am concerned about teachers and want to make sure that they're treated fairly not only by the government but by their own union as well.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote: I am concerned about teachers and want to make sure that they're treated fairly not only by the government but by their own union as well.

I don't believe you.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Urbane wrote: I am concerned about teachers and want to make sure that they're treated fairly not only by the government but by their own union as well.

KGT wrote:I don't believe you.

I totally believe him.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you and many of your brethren have no qualms about criticizing government for the way they conduct affairs, yet when the BCTF does exactly the same thing you accept it, without a peep, and defend them even.

Simply put it's evident you and many others in the profession are blind when it comes to BCTF misconduct. That blindness opens the door for the BCTF to treat you any way they want, be it fair or otherwise.

You lack objectivity where the BCTF is mentioned.

I believe that's the concern Urbane has, and rightly so.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I totally believe him.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you and many of your brethren have no qualms about criticizing government for the way they conduct affairs, yet when the BCTF does exactly the same thing you accept it, without a peep, and defend them even.

Simply put it's evident you and many others in the profession are blind when it comes to BCTF misconduct. That blindness opens the door for the BCTF to treat you any way they want, be it fair or otherwise.

I believe that's the concern Urbane has, and rightly so.

Apparently you haven't read all my posts. I have criticized the BCTF plenty. I support and am working towards many changes within the current structure.

However, neither of you have answered my question. How would you propose the BCTF collect up-to-date information on part time staff job descriptions if not by asking for data from the school districts?

Or do you believe that every teacher, regardless of f/t or p/t status should get an equal cut of the pot?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:
    Apparently you haven't read all my posts. I have criticized the BCTF plenty. I support and am working towards many changes within the current structure.

However, neither of you have answered my question. How would you propose the BCTF collect up-to-date information on part time staff job descriptions if not by asking for data from the school districts?

Or do you believe that every teacher, regardless of f/t or p/t status should get an equal cut of the pot?
You said you didn't care what I thought about how the money should be divided up and now you say that I haven't answered your question about how it should be divided up. You don't need to go from one extreme (every teacher receiving the exact same amount) to the other extreme (needing uber detailed information) to divide up the money.

For the record, I've tried to go out of my way to be very polite to you throughout these discussions. I haven't told you that your posts are manure and I have tried my best not to insult you in any way. I haven't even said that I don't believe you when others on here have. Continue with your "retired teacher bashing" as you will, ironic as that may be, but I thought I'd point those things out to you.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:You said you didn't care what I thought about how the money should be divided up and now you say that I haven't answered your question about how it should be divided up. You don't need to go from one extreme (every teacher receiving the exact same amount) to the other extreme (needing uber detailed information) to divide up the money.

For the record, I've tried to go out of my way to be very polite to you throughout these discussions. I haven't told you that your posts are manure and I have tried my best not to insult you in any way. I haven't even said that I don't believe you when others on here have. Continue with your "retired teacher bashing" as you will, ironic as that may be, but I thought I'd point those things out to you.

True, however if you are going to have an opinion, I'd at least like to hear what your alternative is. So if you don't do f/t and p/t and you don't do one-size-fits-all, what else can you do?

I don't bash retired teachers. I'm married to one.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:
    True, however if you are going to have an opinion, I'd at least like to hear what your alternative is. So if you don't do f/t and p/t and you don't do one-size-fits-all, what else can you do?

I don't bash retired teachers. I'm married to one.
Keep it simple. Use the records that you do have and instead of trying to calculate it down to the penny create several categories. Then get the money out to teachers. You're fine with waiting and you accept the BCTF's excuses but maybe you should consider being a little bit more curious about how things are done by your union. You're certainly hyper-critical about anything and everything that the government does but when it's your union you have absolute faith in them regardless. Read Lone Wolf's most recent post on here because he hit the nail on the head.

Yes, I'm married to a retired teacher as are you but that, as you know, isn't the point. Carry on. I think you got my message.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:Keep it simple. Use the records that you do have and instead of trying to calculate it down to the penny create several categories. Then get the money out to teachers. You're fine with waiting and you accept the BCTF's excuses but maybe you should consider being a little bit more curious about how things are done by your union. You're certainly hyper-critical about anything and everything that the government does but when it's your union you have absolute faith in them regardless. Read Lone Wolf's most recent post on here because he hit the nail on the head.

Yes, I'm married to a retired teacher as are you but that, as you know, isn't the point. Carry on. I think you got my message.

So we use the records we currently have and we don't give cheques to all the new young teachers who were just hired in September and were on strike for 3 of the 5 weeks? And we ignore the teachers who retired at the end of June, were on strike for 2 weeks but are no longer in the system?

Face it Urbane, there is NO simple solution to this situation. I'd much prefer the BCTF take the time to do it right the first time.

And I do not have "absolute faith" in the BCTF. I have criticisms as well. However, I recognize that there are many issues with divvying up this pot of money and it's easy to sit here and second guess what I think they should be doing. Once the SDs have sent in the staffing numbers, the BCTF can get on with figuring out the cut.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:

I didn't know your wife was also a teacher.

Return to “Social Concerns”