Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by KGT »

oneh2obabe wrote:Nothing available for 2013/2014 yet but the 2012/2013 School Schedule (BC) shows:
Days in session - 193
Minimum number of days of instruction - 186

Yep that sounds about right. The exact number changes every year. 3 days are summer ProD, 2 days are regular prod (Oct and Feb) and one day is for administration to direct for inservice etc. The 7th is the last day of school with no kid.

And like I said, most teachers work a minimum of 2 weeks in summer.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

MAPearce wrote:Uh huh ......

And the Independent teachers are the "bad" ones ............

Strike til you starve for all I care .

If you're going to isolate words, why don't you isolate the important ones. I WANT TO GO BACK TO WORK ON TUESDAY.

I have enough money to live for 3 months without pay if I have to.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

KGT wrote:
If you're going to isolate words, why don't you isolate the important ones. I WANT TO GO BACK TO WORK ON TUESDAY.

Ah the solidarity among brothers and sisters of the union. I can survive so the rest can starve. Nice to see the true togetherness.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

KGT, I do not support the BCTF but I did hold you in a higher regard prior to your recent tirade of comments.
My issue is not with teachers themselves but with their union. I'm afraid you've led me to believe you are drinking the company kool-aid now. Your posts were incredibly arrogant, one of my biggest issues with the BCTF.

I hope you re-read some of them and think about how immature you've made yourself seem. I would also hope that the sarcasm you expressed wouldn't be in the classroom with my children. I have a hard enough time weaning it out them myself. Maybe that is where it comes from?

Maybe you believe the de-certification of your union might lead to accountability for teachers?
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

ToddT wrote:KGT, I do not support the BCTF but I did hold you in a higher regard prior to your recent tirade of comments.
My issue is not with teachers themselves but with their union. I'm afraid you've led me to believe you are drinking the company kool-aid now. Your posts were incredibly arrogant, one of my biggest issues with the BCTF.

I hope you re-read some of them and think about how immature you've made yourself seem. I would also hope that the sarcasm you expressed wouldn't be in the classroom with my children. I have a hard enough time weaning it out them myself. Maybe that is where it comes from.

Maybe you believe the de-certification of your union might lead to accountability for teachers.

Yes there were very immature but it was fun. I am bored tonight waiting to hear if anything comes of the mediation. Plus I didn't say anything that hasn't been said to me, most on this very forum. And you can't call me arrogant because I already used that one.

And OF COURSE I don't use sarcasm like that in the classroom. I also don't drink wine in the classroom but I do at home on a Friday night from time to time. And sometimes I swear at cars who cut me off. But not if there are kids in the car. I am human.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

KGT wrote:

Veovis wrote:
Ah the solidarity among brothers and sisters of the union. I can survive so the rest can starve. Nice to see the true togetherness.

You guys really are hilarious tonight. Seriously. Either that or just plain dense. My POINT in that comment which is now TOTALLY out of context, is that I am lucky because I have managed to pay off my debt, no longer live beyond my means (not that I really ever did), and have managed to save up enough money to live for 3 months without pay if I have to. For any reason.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I would expect somebody so staunchly invested in this dispute would carry themselves in a higher regard. Maybe not myself, but a teacher, certainly. What you have said is the equivalent to drunk texting. Have you not ever been told to stay off FB once you've had a few?

Iker makes good kool-aid I guess. :p
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

ToddT wrote:I would expect somebody so staunchly invested in this dispute would carry themselves in a higher regard. Maybe not myself, but a teacher, certainly. What you have said is the equivalent to drunk texting. Have you not ever been told to stay off FB once you've had a few?

Iker makes good kool-aid I guess. :p

LOL, oh too funny. No, I'm smart enough to stay off social media if I am having a glass or two of wine. You remind of a list of rules for teachers back at the turn of the century. It was hilarious. Yes, we expect teachers to act above everyone else, and yet at the same time, turn around and accuse them of thinking they are better than everyone else. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Now that you've decided some haircuts are atrocious, people should stay off social media while imbibing, and how much we know/don't know about someones finances it's time to get back on topic.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Oh stop it. I wasnt "imbibing". In fact, I was sitting up late waiting to pick my son up from work. Just thought I'd try a different approach with you guys.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

KGT wrote:Oh stop it. I wasnt "imbibing". In fact, I was sitting up late waiting to pick my son up from work. Just thought I'd try a different approach with you guys.

NICE. Seriously, I hope you don't use that "approach" with your students. If the representation on here from the pro-unionists is any indication of the headset of teachers in the classroom, my grand kids are in trouble. Fortunately, they have been lucky enough to have had some awesome teachers so far.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I don't think anyone cares what you do on your own time, most probably could care less if you drink 6 bottles of wine on a Friday night. As for picking up your son, any reasonable parent does the same thing, for no other reason than it is a parent's responsibility.
As for your "different approach" it seems you have resorted to being defensive, imo much like a tantrum when all mature and rational debate on a serious subject has no more intellectual points to put forth. If this is the type of conversation going on during negotiations (whining (no pun intended) and defensiveness) then it is no wonder the sides can not come to an amicable agreement.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

zookeeper wrote:I don't think anyone cares what you do on your own time, most probably could care less if you drink 6 bottles of wine on a Friday night. As for picking up your son, any reasonable parent does the same thing, for no other reason than it is a parent's responsibility.
As for your "different approach" it seems you have resorted to being defensive, imo much like a tantrum when all mature and rational debate on a serious subject has no more intellectual points to put forth. If this is the type of conversation going on during negotiations (whining (no pun intended) and defensiveness) then it is no wonder the sides can not come to an amicable agreement.

My comment about picking up my son so to point out that I wasn't drinking. I had to drive. It's not defensive, it's information.

And I'm sorry if you didn't like my sarcastic approach. It's interesting that you can read others write more or less the same words, but when it comes from me, all of a sudden it's offensive. LOL...

Do you really think my comments here on a forum are reflective in any way of the conversations going on in bargaining? Silly comment.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

I wasn't offended in the least. It is not your comments, rather the attitude.
Last edited by zookeeper on Aug 30th, 2014, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2014, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cross posting

Return to “Social Concerns”