Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by Catz »

I am fed up with the government...and the teachers. I am so sick that this has gone on this long. They had the summer to deal with it IF they really were THINKING about the KIDS. As much as I hate to say it, the government should NOT give in. Other unions are watching very closely ... Teachers are important...but so is every one else who works. Looking at their demands again....I just can't see it. I am angry at the government, but more angry with the teachers. This is negotiating, this is demanding. You knew what you signed up for when you went to school. Get out and get a different job if you don't like it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Logun wrote:
Sure you do - after all you and half the other people here are screaming about how other unions didn't ask/get that kind of contract. Hypocrisy at its finest!

He said professions, not unions. But you know that. The only hypocrisy at its finest here is you, trying to twist words to further the hypocritical agenda of the horrible and disgusting BCTF.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

KGT wrote:
BCTF does NOT want a long strike. We all want to be back. We are 1% and 1 year apart on wages. If Vince says that's a huge chasm, then so be it. But issue isn't wages, it's money for the CSC fund and the E80 clause.

Simply typing that on this forum does not make it so. I am positive that a professional mediator with the credentials of Mr Ready and the other two prior could easily have made that disappear if that were the truth.

Unless you KGT are in that room and on that BCTF negotiating team then you have no idea what that is.....

And the bridge has already been offered to you in a previous post so in case you do believe that dribble from wherever you seem to have taken it from then it is you who is the one not understanding the process .... and if you are a member as you profess then start hunkering in because it is going to be a long long strike....

The days of the rally for support and the public involvement are long gone.... the public is more interested in lowering taxes not increasing them and there are far more of us out there that say NO to the BCTF and stay the course to the government.... and we are doing it in writing, verbally and by involving ourselves on their behalf....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lakevixen wrote:
facts do not enter into some peoples minds,i see more people now looking at chrity and company going hmmmmmmm mabey we been duped :0

And I see even more looking at Iker, and saying "What dumpster did that bonehead crawl out of?" and then saying "I know that we've been duped. The BCTF has to go".
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:
    Why won't they drop it then, Urbane? What's in it for them if they keep it?
    They probably want it in there to underscore what Justice Griffin said about the old language not being written in stone. Despite what your union is telling us E80 does NOT negate future court decisions. Where does it say that grievances won't be addressed if the government loses on appeal? It doesn't. And that gets me back to the idea that your union, for some unfathonable reason, does not want a settlement. E81 was the deal-breaker and now it's E80. If E80 were removed it would be something else.

BCTF does NOT want a long strike. We all want to be back. We are 1% and 1 year apart on wages. If Vince says that's a huge chasm, then so be it. But issue isn't wages, it's money for the CSC fund and the E80 clause.
    Only 1% and 1 year apart . . . LOL. Clever wording there. That 1 year makes a big difference. As does the $5,000 bonus that YOU say can come off the table but your leaders, who you support, say can't come off. So as long as that one year stays and the $5,000 bonus stays you are NOT only 1% apart. You say you don't want a long strike but if that's the case what evidence do you have that it won't be a long strike? And what evidence do you have that the government will eventually cave and make the long strike productive?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Urbane wrote:[color=#800000]Only 1% and 1 year apart . . . LOL. Clever wording there. That 1 year makes a big difference. As does the $5,000 bonus that YOU say can come off the table but your leaders, who you support, say can't come off.

Yes - have you noticed how good the BCTF is in feeding their members little soundbites that are either lies, or word play to make giant numbers seem small? Almost every other day, another one of these perversions emanates from the BCTF hive.

"One year and 1% apart" - so the reaction from the public is supposed to be: oh they are so close then!!! The government just needs to "negotiate". Barf!!!!

Iker said the other day "All we want is $3/day per student". Why, that's just peanuts, really. Yeah....right!!! Sounds so low, until you multiply $3 per day by 700,000. Then not so much.

And the lie that even the BC Fed is now parroting on the radio: "BC is underfunded by $1,000 per student against the national average".

It's just lie after lie from the horrible and disgusting BCTF. Time to slay the dinosaur. The union industrial model just does not work in public education.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I know you would never make it as a teacher, but just try and think how disheartening it would be to be a proud member of a profession for 30 years, and watch it all crumble in a few years thanks to a stupid bunch of radical People that usurp control of what used to be your professional association and turn it into a "social activist organization" bent on constant fighting, and using children as pawns. That is just disheartening.

i train new workers all the time as i have tons of patience, i think binding arbitration is the way to go here with regards to money. as for class size and the other stuff i think the people doing the work should have a say
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Yes - have you noticed how good the BCTF is in feeding their members little soundbites that are either lies, or word play to make giant numbers seem small? Almost every other day, another one of these perversions emanates from the BCTF hive.

"One year and 1% apart" - so the reaction from the public is supposed to be: oh they are so close then!!! The government just needs to "negotiate". Barf!!!!

Iker said the other day "All we want is $3/day per student". Why, that's just peanuts, really. Yeah....right!!! Sounds so low, until you multiply $3 per day by 700,000. Then not so much.

And the lie that even the BC Fed is now parroting on the radio: "BC is underfunded by $1,000 per student against the national average".

It's just lie after lie from the horrible and disgusting BCTF. Time to slay the dinosaur. The union industrial model just does not work in public education.
\\

*removed*

And yes, 1% and 1 year can make a big difference. We can negotiate that. But the govt brought NOTHING to the table and only dropped E81 without dropping E80. We dropped $125 million. We are willing to negotiate, they aren't.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 1st, 2014, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try without the insults.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

omisimaw wrote:
Simply typing that on this forum does not make it so. I am positive that a professional mediator with the credentials of Mr Ready and the other two prior could easily have made that disappear if that were the truth.

Unless you KGT are in that room and on that BCTF negotiating team then you have no idea what that is.....

And the bridge has already been offered to you in a previous post so in case you do believe that dribble from wherever you seem to have taken it from then it is you who is the one not understanding the process .... and if you are a member as you profess then start hunkering in because it is going to be a long long strike....

The days of the rally for support and the public involvement are long gone.... the public is more interested in lowering taxes not increasing them and there are far more of us out there that say NO to the BCTF and stay the course to the government.... and we are doing it in writing, verbally and by involving ourselves on their behalf....

We dropped $125 million in benefit improvements and the govt didn't move an inch (except to drop E81 but not its partner E82)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

KGT wrote:We dropped $125 million in benefit improvements and the govt didn't move an inch (except to drop E81 but not its partner E82)

I'm sure the government could say;
"We dropped E81 regarding CS&C and the BCTF didn't move an inch (exccept for $125mil but not the other $1bil)"
No movement made by the BCTF and they won't bargain
Last edited by cv23 on Sep 1st, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:

KGT wrote:We dropped $125 million in benefit improvements and the govt didn't move an inch (except to drop E81 but not its partner E82)

$125 million in what benefit improvements...... generalize all you wish but that is not what this is about and it is not enough obviously.
Stop being childish with all this drop this and drop that crap .... that is as bad as a kid asking mom and when that does not work ask dad and when that does not work then throw yourself on the floor, kick your feet and scream... we all know how that plays out for kids and have long ago learned how to shut it out and step over the tantrum driven youngin!
Read the Ministers letter posted on Castanet and wake up smell the coffee and get real with your expectations.
You are not going to get an outrageous increase, that is a positive
and
You are not ever going to get the reins of CSC EVER, only limited input by way of contact negotiations

So put it out there what do you make now and what are you hoping to increase that to? What benefits do you receive now and what enhancements are you whining about?

Stop saying you are the lowest paid in Canada as first off it is not true, it is deceptive at best and nobody cares. If you like what another province is offering then send them your CV and stand in line like many, many unemployed teachers are doing here in BC. But be prepared to wait or never make the grade in the other province because there simply is an overabundance of qualified teachers who have come through the system or who have emigrated to this province for lifestyle and are also looking at those other places to relocate to. Funny how lifestyle becomes a non issue when you can not afford to enjoy it the way you dreamed of.

And of course there is always the second job option that way more taxpayers MUST do just to survive let alone feather their nest even further.... and keep in mind that those who do work many jobs especially those caught in having to work 2 or more to get by have ZERO benefits to draw on, are docked for every sick day and many have been doing this years and years and years and it is their measly tax input that you are trying to increase and steal for your personal gain!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

omisimaw wrote:

$125 million in what benefit improvements......

........You are not ever going to get the reins of CSC EVER, only limited input by way of contact negotiations

We dropped a long list of benefit requests. Details will be available once the blackout of done.

We are not asking for firm CSC numbers right now. We are asking for increased money into the LIF while we wait for the court to determine the other issues.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

cv23 wrote:I'm sure the government could say;
"We dropped E81 regarding CS&C and the BCTF didn't move an inch (exccept for $125mil but not the other $1bil)"
No movement made by the BCTF and they won't bargain

No doubt the govt would say that.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

The Green Barbarian wrote:What? But I've just been told several times by a very angry fellow representing himself as a teacher that he's paid the lowest amount in Canada, other than PEI. You mean he was lying? I feel so betrayed, up until now I believed everything the BCTF and their zombies told me. I'll have to stop doing that I guess.

Those aren't teacher wages. They included administrators as well.

Return to “Social Concerns”