Teacher bargaining

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Teacher bargaining

Post by erinmore3775 »

LordEd did some interesting fact checking on the availability of $500M to help solve the Class Composition problem that is at the root of this strike/lockout. Unfortunately it perpetuates the linear straight line thinking that has got us into this problem.

As I have said before I have a grandchild in this system and the child is not doing as could be expected. There seems to be a learning problem. Not one that would designate the child, but one that would put the child in the grey area and one that needs extra assistance. I have talked to principals of two small elementary schools in Coquitlam and here in Kelowna and they both say the same thing. They would like:

- to have the money to turn their part time Learning Assistance Teachers into full time positions so that there would be more services for the grey area students. This would also increase the opportunities for intial testing of suspect students
- to see Boards hire more psychologists so that the testing and development of programs for designated students could proceed at a faster pace and with a reduced backlog. Both admit that the testing places allocated to their schools for next year are already filled, some with the backlog of the previous year
- a reduction in the reporting paper work related to designated and grey area students. The paper work plus the additional meetings to produce it takes away from educational activities. As one principal put it, "...surely there is a better way of tracking and communicating than 7 to 10 pages of baffle gab that no one really understands."
- more CEA's and more flexibility with their assignment hours

Neither suggested hiring more classroom teachers as the primary solution. However, both indicated that an extra teacher in their schools would make timetabling and classroom placement easier and provide better educational service to the parents of the students they serve. I believe that the idea of hiring 100000 more teachers simply because the money is there is an example of the myopic thinking and hype that has got us to this situation.

I would like to think that with the support of the Premier's Office and an arbitrator there might be considerable movement. After all Premier Clark said, "..."We all agree teachers deserve a fair raise. We all agree we need to deal with class composition and make sure classrooms are working for kids and we all agree we need labour peace," says Clark.

"I haven't given up my goal of getting a 10 year agreement. We may not get it in this round, but we need to find a way to get there, to fix this process....What legislating teachers back to work for the last 30 years has meant is we've guaranteed more labour disruptions. We've guaranteed kids won't see labour peace and I think it's time to try and fix that.

My hope is that we can negotiate an agreement. That's the only way we'll solve this problem in the long term."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-119952-1-.htm#119952

The influence of the Premier's Office and the use of arbitration could force both sides to examine new ideas around class composition, increased support for designated and grey area students, and a method/commission to revise and develop new guidelines for the designation and program delivery related to special needs students. This process should also examine how the grievances related to the court action could be settled in an amicable way that could bring overall benefit to the system as a whole and not just to the benefit of a few teachers. Working within those parameters is how I would use that $500M. While it is easy to find fault with both sides of this strike/lockout, it is time we all starting looking for common ground and possible solutions.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

erinmore3775 wrote:While it is easy to find fault with both sides of this strike/lockout, it is time we all starting looking for common ground and possible solutions.
Agree 100% as long as that common ground is in the best interests of students. The suggestions from the principals that you mentioned would certainly be in that category.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

totoramona wrote:Maybe the whole issue of class size and composition would be easier to deal with if it weren't lumped together with a pay raise, reduction in the wage grid, extended benefits package increase (including 3000.00 for massages and coverage for fertility treatments etc) and a retroactive grievance fund. To some observers, the CS&C issue begins to look like a talking point, meant to deflect away from the other compensation demands of the union.
I am not a liberal govt. supporter, but I believe the CS&C issue should be handled through the Ministry of Education Policy, not by the teachers union. The BCTF isn't elected by or accountable to the parents of this province. Teachers are hired to do a job, not set policy.

It is currently being handled by MoE policy and we all know how well that's working.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:It is currently being handled by MoE policy and we all know how well that's working.
A number of teachers on Twitter have pointed out how inaccurate and counterproductive it is for the BCTF (and some teachers) to constantly be talking about the public school system being broken. As those teachers on Twitter have pointed out the bargaining system is broken but not the public school system. I've heard it for the past 40 years . . . the sky is falling, classes are almost unmanageable, classes are too large, and of course we aren't respected.

Until there is a serious attitude adjustment that includes an honest and realistic view of what's really happening we'll be stuck in this same rut. Yes, more support is needed for some classes. Yes, we need to hire more psychologists, CEA's, and LAT's, and yes, we need to look at what we're doing with special needs students to make sure that integration is functioning as well as it should. And no, the government is certainly not blameless. But the constant negativity about our public school system is not good for students, teachers, parents, or taxpayers.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

If it's on Twitter it's got to be true! Eyes roll in sarcastic disgust.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

KGT wrote:It is currently being handled by MoE policy and we all know how well that's working.

I agree that the Ministry of Education has created policy around class size and the support of special needs students that has been shown to be difficult to implement or carry out with the current levels of funding. I totally agree that the BC education system needs more funding. Maybe what this situation has shown the public is that there needs to be more involvement and pressure on our government to address education funding.

My disagreement with this strike is that I don't believe that the "solutions" put forth by the BCTF will address these problems. I don't agree that teachers should have control over CS&C. I don't believe a fund specific to hiring more teachers is the way to go.

The role of the BCTF is to represent teachers' best interests, not students' best interests. The BCTF should stop trying to misrepresent their role. It is confusing and detrimental to the issues at hand.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Urbane wrote:A number of teachers on Twitter have pointed out how inaccurate and counterproductive it is for the BCTF (and some teachers) to constantly be talking about the public school system being broken. As those teachers on Twitter have pointed out the bargaining system is broken but not the public school system. I've heard it for the past 40 years . . . the sky is falling, classes are almost unmanageable, classes are too large, and of course we aren't respected.

Until there is a serious attitude adjustment that includes an honest and realistic view of what's really happening we'll be stuck in this same rut. Yes, more support is needed for some classes. Yes, we need to hire more psychologists, CEA's, and LAT's, and yes, we need to look at what we're doing with special needs students to make sure that integration is functioning as well as it should. And no, the government is certainly not blameless. But the constant negativity about our public school system is not good for students, teachers, parents, or taxpayers.

There are a very small handful of teachers on twitter who are not content with the current structure of the BCTF, but the vast majority of teachers on twitter strongly support the BCTF decisions. In the past, I have expressed my desire for some level of change within the BCTF, but right now, that matters very little to me. Right now, we are united in our goal for a fair contract. In mid August, staff reps across the province will meet and discuss our next steps to give direction to our local reps who will take that info to the Rep Assembly. Let;s wait and see what is decided at that meeting.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

The role of the BCTF is to represent teachers. Then when they do try to bargain for some wage or benefit for teachers, people say, they shouldn't bargain for an increase in anything. When they try to bargain for some improvement in CSC, which would benefit the students, then the sentiment seems to be from at least the gov't, that they shouldn't try to appear to be benefitting the students. The gov't doesn't want to bargain on any of these things, which is why they haven't been doing so for over16 months. So it seems what some people are saying, is, teachers have no right to have a say in these matters. That is opposed to what their representatives (which have a mandate from their teachers right now) are trying to do. Definitely this is a bargaining system which is not broken, it is at an impasse. A public school system which now is not going to be in session after 16 months of failed "bargaining" (which never did occur to any effect), and which has no prospect of operating in September, is a broken system. The government which has failed in its promise to provide public education, and only seemed to be succeeding while the teachers took no action, and yet is collecting all taxes related to that service, has failed as a government.
Incidentally parents you have about 4 weeks now to firm up those plans as to how you are going to provide the services that your government cannot seem to organize for you. Demand your money back, or demand they fund education.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Nobody here has said the teachers don't need a raise.

Nobody has said the offered 6.5% was too high other than teacher supporters who think bargaining is taking the average of the offer/demand positions, meaning the offer should have been a cut.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Silverstarqueen wrote:The role of the BCTF is to represent teachers. Then when they do try to bargain for some wage or benefit for teachers, people say, they shouldn't bargain for an increase in anything. When they try to bargain for some improvement in CSC, which would benefit the students, then the sentiment seems to be from at least the gov't, that they shouldn't try to appear to be benefitting the students. The gov't doesn't want to bargain on any of these things, which is why they haven't been doing so for over16 months. So it seems what some people are saying, is, teachers have no right to have a say in these matters. That is opposed to what their representatives (which have a mandate from their teachers right now) are trying to do. Definitely this is a bargaining system which is not broken, it is at an impasse. A public school system which now is not going to be in session after 16 months of failed "bargaining" (which never did occur to any effect), and which has no prospect of operating in September, is a broken system. The government which has failed in its promise to provide public education, and only seemed to be succeeding while the teachers took no action, and yet is collecting all taxes related to that service, has failed as a government.
Incidentally parents you have about 4 weeks now to firm up those plans as to how you are going to provide the services that your government cannot seem to organize for you. Demand your money back, or demand they fund education.

I have never stated that the teachers do not deserve a raise but it has to be in line with other government workers. When all others have settled for 1.1% a year and the BCTF come out with wanting considerably more and a really stupid signing bonus and ever crazier benefit demands. I not only shake my head in disbelief, I have to wonder if they are just trying to bait government into a imposed contract so they can start all over again in a year with another whoa is me start to negotiation. You would think they would be more than happy to get what all the others got plus $1200.00, but not good enough I guess for what appears to be an entitled lot. The current tact by the BCTF is baffling.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

KGT wrote:There are a very small handful of teachers on twitter who are not content with the current structure of the BCTF, but the vast majority of teachers on twitter strongly support the BCTF decisions. In the past, I have expressed my desire for some level of change within the BCTF, but right now, that matters very little to me. Right now, we are united in our goal for a fair contract. In mid August, staff reps across the province will meet and discuss our next steps to give direction to our local reps who will take that info to the Rep Assembly. Let;s wait and see what is decided at that meeting.
While the teachers are undoubtedly united about the need for more support in the classroom I doubt very much that the unity is holding in regard to some of the excessive contract demands of the BCTF. And I know for sure that the unity is taking a beating when it comes to the BCTF's strategy. I believe that you yourself have called the timing of the strike dumb. I said that the BCTF would overplay its hand and it has. Now we'll see if the government makes the same mistake.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Then when they do try to bargain for some wage or benefit for teachers, people say, they shouldn't bargain for an increase in anything.
The argument is that they shouldn't say its "for the children" when fighting for wage increases. Wage increases are for the benefit of the teacher. 8% wage increase, shortened grid, excess massage/physio, $5000 signing bonus: none of these does anything for the student except preventing them from being held hostage again for a few years.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

KGT wrote:
It is currently being handled by MoE policy and we all know how well that's working.

Do we "all" know? I don't think so. All "we" taxpayers know is that the BCTF has been whining for decades about how education is at a "critical juncture" and that "its collapse is imminent" and no matter how much more money is thrown at education, its never enough. It's always "falling apart". The BCTF have cried wolf far too many times. When all you do all the time is complain then people stop listening. Just saying that the MoE is doing a bad job isn't enough. Especially when you guys want to reach into my pocket and take a whole lot more cash out of my wallet.
Not afraid to say "It".
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 29th, 2014, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic personal attack

LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

I'll rephrase. Would you care to provide some evidence to your unwritten implication of it "not working"?

Stats? Provincial comparisons? Perhaps you can demonstrate the territories pushing out super-geniuses with their small class size and $5000 over average/student education budgets?

Return to “Social Concerns”