Beer and food for the fireworkers?

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Drunken Workers

Post by Poindexter »

We registered at boucherie highschool and were given vouchers and other things for being evacuated but we didn't bother using them. IMO there are people who need this to get by and I'm not one of them. I'm fortunate not to need it now but there may be a time when I do. I just wish people who don't need handouts didn't use them just because they're available.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
willmath

Post by willmath »

If you didn't need the vouchers - why did you take them? You can just register so your safety and whereabouts can be confirmed.

That meant a volunteer had to fill out the forms, another volunteer had to enter them for stats and they needed to be filed - then in a few days, split and sent to Victoria. Multiply that by all the others that took vouchers that they didn't need, and you can understand why people have to wait .
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

willmath wrote:If you didn't need the vouchers - why did you take them? You can just register so your safety and whereabouts can be confirmed.

That meant a volunteer had to fill out the forms, another volunteer had to enter them for stats and they needed to be filed - then in a few days, split and sent to Victoria. Multiply that by all the others that took vouchers that they didn't need, and you can understand why people have to wait .

Point taken and we've learned our lesson should it occur again, it was new to us and we just kinda went with the flow.

Aside from that, big thanks to the volunteers at boucherie highschool. Our volunteer drove all the way down from Vernon to help out. It makes you realize that there are some incredibly wonderful and generous people who are willing to step up to the plate when help is needed.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Sige wrote:Speaking of sensational headlines...!!

...couldn't agree more - and am surprised this topic/title is still posted...any proof whatsoever other than absurd hypothetical assumptions that anyone working this fire was drinking on the job???...quite frankly it's a complete slap in the face to the exceptional hard work and efforts put forward by all agencies involved to bring this to the conclusion they did...for that - if someone feels obligated to by them a beer(s) - then I'd consider it well deserved...I'm surprised bob - this is below even your usual standards...I guess your tagline's correct - you can't fix stupid...
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Its like slapping the "hero" tag on them as well...

Why when its your job to do what you do...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...so, everyone here that works for a living has never had anyone say "thanks" for a job well done?...no one's ever had a client/employer buy them a beer/burger after a long, hard day's work? - wow, I've had numerous clients buy me drinks/lunch/dinner - during and after a job as a measure of "thanks" for my efforts...yea, it's just another day at work for them - but it's a job only some can, and will do...saying "thanks" for saving your house - a beer's hardly overkill...besides, the issue I have, as stated, is with the ridiculous and insulting accusation that these people were drinking while on the job - that's the real issue...
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

At least nobody on this thread used the Hero word.

I'll take any vouchers that anyone doesn't want.
I could use some food and stuff.
An extra garden hose from CT would come in handy too.
So would some Balvenie.
Thanks, you're all a great bunch.
Glad to hear you're all back home.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Wildfire 3

Re: Beer and food for the fireworkers?

Post by Wildfire 3 »

BoB76 wrote:Ok.......So here is my little rant of the week.

Firefighters and others PAID for what they do. Get given a pile of beer for just doing their job.

Yeah, no.

We were offered thousands in beer by the grateful residents of the Apex fire, and Ministry refused as all Ministry camps/work sites are DRY. If your crew is caught partaking in drugs or alcohol, the entire crew is fired on the spot and blacklisted from future Ministry operations. ZERO tolerance policy. Furthermore, company policy also prohibits this.

We got food donated instead.

Firefighters and others PAID for what they do. Get given free food while on the job.

We are required to bring 24 hours of food/water with us, as camps/logistics are often not set up for days. Working from home we do indeed bring our own food, and if it is a remote site we get bag lunches that are often inadequate in nutrition and quantity. We round out our diet with supplements and other odds and ends like granola bars or trail mix. Food or coffee that is offered to us out of gratitude is not very common, but is welcome as we are completely unable to get to a store or restaurant most times. We are typically stuck for 13-14 days straight at a fire without a chance to get out for supplies so any bit helps when burning a trillion calories a day, doing, you know, our job.
The salvation army is feeding them? Give me a break. Aren't donations supposed to be for the needy? PACK a LUNCH when you go to work like the rest of the world!

Did you really just begrudge food for hungry people?

Believe me, we'd much rather pack our own lunches preferably, when we are able, for reasons already outlined above. If you have an issue with Sally Ann giving out food to needy folks, you should be berating the organization instead, not the people who simply receive their generous contributions, that have already been determined by the Salvation Army to be in actual need.

I'm assuming they go to work because they get paid and love what they do (and likely don't expect above) so why do we feel the need to do this?

It's called gratitude for saving everything you cherish. You might not have room in your heart for this, but I can assure you MANY others do.

Does anyone every send Jo or the other moderators beer for putting up with all us posters? Probably not.....

Do moderators work 12-16 hours a day for two weeks straight in extreme conditions, exchanging their personal safety for your replaceable physical property? (Board flamewars being an exception!)

No worries either way though buddy, I'll still smile and do my job and protect everything you hold dear anyways, whether you like it or not. And I'd do it for free too, if needed.

WF3 out.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT response. Love that. Best I've seen in a long time
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

That is the best post I have ever seen on these forums.
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

Thank you for the kind words and the Likes, it is always nice to be appreciated. And while the original post and his following comments come off as being pure troll bait, I still felt that a few misconceptions needed to be straightened out with some cold hard facts of life on the fireline. Lots of time for beer in the fall :)

Kindest regards,
WF3
Oliver 2015
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Wildfire 3 wrote: And while the original post and his following comments come off as being pure troll bait

Exactly, that's most of Bob's posts. Thanks for the info as it's very interesting and many thanks for all that you guys do. I would love to bring you an ice cold whatever on the fire line.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

Bsuds wrote:Exactly, that's most of Bob's posts. Thanks for the info as it's very interesting and many thanks for all that you guys do. I would love to bring you an ice cold whatever on the fire line.

Glad to help, and I just might take you up on that offer sometime...thank you!

Oh and BoB76, our outfit is hiring firefighters right now if you're feelin strong. Don't be shy, now.

WF3
Oliver 2015
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Wildfire 3 wrote:
Glad to help, and I just might take you up on that offer sometime...thank you!

Oh and BoB76, our outfit is hiring firefighters right now if you're feelin strong. Don't be shy, now.

WF3

I don't want to be a paid hero but thanks anyways.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Oliver 2015

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”