CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Business and professional recommendations.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Post by Gixxer »

Que up the bashing of "commercial drivers"
Eires

Post by Eires »

The number of horrific wrecks involving big rigs would appear to support your feeling.

Considering nary a day goes by that I don't find myself behind some driver training big rig, I can't help but feel this has become nothing more than another cash grab since I doubt there's that much demand for drivers.

Personally I'd rather see fewer and those that do drive be of the talented variety, viewing what they do as a profession. A profession that requires a bit more know how than driving around the valley bottom on dry roads successfully.

"BCTA has been trying to get Trucking designated a trade so that an apprenticeship must be completed. Most training schools are just soaking up EI subsidized drivers and churning them out with just enough experience to pass the ICBC road test. The turn-over rate in the job is brutal, a local company is hiring new drivers every couple of weeks if that gives you any indication.

90% of the guys I work with take pride in their job and are proud to do it, but that is the Heavy Haul/Over Dimensional segment.

And Yes, the amount of winter-time accidents in the mountains of BC is horrific. Some of these guys are paid less than $0.30 per mile so they haul butt to make a dollar, unfortunately some end up in the ditch because of it."
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Gixxer wrote:Que up the bashing of "commercial drivers"

Call it what you like, the evidence speaks for itself!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Eires

Post by Eires »

I'm not sure he was bashing Commercial Drivers, maybe bashing the process that throws so many inexperienced newbies onto some of the most dangerous winter roads in North America.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Eires wrote:I'm not sure he was bashing Commercial Drivers, maybe bashing the process that throws so many inexperienced newbies onto some of the most dangerous winter roads in North America.

100% correct.

Here we go again............ http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#127580

What I see is roads that are far improved from what they were a couple of decades back, yet the carnage caused by big rigs has escalated, this despite regulations that are supposed to make things better.
Eires

Post by Eires »

100% correct.

Here we go again............ http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#127580

What I see is roads that are far improved from what they were a couple of decades back, yet the carnage caused by big rigs has escalated, this despite regulations that are supposed to make things better.[/quote]

Improved roads & regulations will not reduce accidents when the cause is going to fast on a slippery surface. RIP Driver.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

One could also argue that Canada's highways are 30 year's behind in infrastructure, and they cant handle the growing population. Also road maintenance plays a huge role in the safety of a highway in the winter months.
Eires

Post by Eires »

Gixxer wrote:One could also argue that Canada's highways are 30 year's behind in infrastructure, and they cant handle the growing population. Also road maintenance plays a huge role in the safety of a highway in the winter months.

Yep, and the Coq. in winter lacks maintenance for sure. I love the 3 day trips to Houston TX, our road infrastructure doesn't even compare.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Gixxer wrote:One could also argue that Canada's highways are 30 year's behind in infrastructure, and they cant handle the growing population. Also road maintenance plays a huge role in the safety of a highway in the winter months.

I agree on the maintenance side, but if you'd driven from Penticton to Vernon 30 years ago you'd see we're keeping up as well as can be expected. That whole highway used to look like the stretch that's now the Pelmewash Pkwy, it was nightmarish to drive and at that point all of the truck traffic had to come up the valley that way as the Coq didn't exist. Yet the professional drivers managed it better than they seem to today.

I know this is anecdotal, but the only person I know that completed one of the local schools' program passed the tests but was still unable to drive a truck competently. They subsequently went up north and got on the job training and now know what they're doing, but it's safe to say they had no business on the road at the time they completed the "training" program and passed the government testing. Knowing that has given me a whole new perspective on "professional" drivers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Catri wrote:I agree on the maintenance side, but if you'd driven from Penticton to Vernon 30 years ago you'd see we're keeping up as well as can be expected. That whole highway used to look like the stretch that's now the Pelmewash Pkwy, it was nightmarish to drive and at that point all of the truck traffic had to come up the valley that way as the Coq didn't exist. Yet the professional drivers managed it better than they seem to today.

I agree completely with that comparison. The roads are 100% better than they were in the 70's and 80's yet the truckers back then managed, and with less carnage than we're seeing now on the news almost daily.

Catri wrote:I know this is anecdotal, but the only person I know that completed one of the local schools' program passed the tests but was still unable to drive a truck competently. They subsequently went up north and got on the job training and now know what they're doing, but it's safe to say they had no business on the road at the time they completed the "training" program and passed the government testing. Knowing that has given me a whole new perspective on "professional" drivers.

I agree with this also plus it is corroborated by visual observation as well as news reports.

What good is a test conducted on flat roads in the valley bottom, with not much more than a couple of concrete barriers for a load, when realistically a job would require knowing how to drive in winter conditions through mountain passes, and that while hauling loads ten times heavier?

I know a few who hold a class 1 and are legally entitled to drive a big rig, yet their competency level is barely sufficient to drive a five ton locally.

These licenses are handed out way to freely in my opinion.
Eires

Post by Eires »

Catri wrote:I agree on the maintenance side, but if you'd driven from Penticton to Vernon 30 years ago you'd see we're keeping up as well as can be expected. That whole highway used to look like the stretch that's now the Pelmewash Pkwy, it was nightmarish to drive and at that point all of the truck traffic had to come up the valley that way as the Coq didn't exist. Yet the professional drivers managed it better than they seem to today.

I agree completely with that comparison. The roads are 100% better than they were in the 70's and 80's yet the truckers back then managed, and with less carnage than we're seeing now on the news almost daily.

Catri wrote:I know this is anecdotal, but the only person I know that completed one of the local schools' program passed the tests but was still unable to drive a truck competently. They subsequently went up north and got on the job training and now know what they're doing, but it's safe to say they had no business on the road at the time they completed the "training" program and passed the government testing. Knowing that has given me a whole new perspective on "professional" drivers.

I agree with this also plus it is corroborated by visual observation as well as news reports.

What good is a test conducted on flat roads in the valley bottom, with not much more than a couple of concrete barriers for a load, when realistically a job would require knowing how to drive in winter conditions through mountain passes, and that while hauling loads ten times heavier?

I know a few who hold a class 1 and are legally entitled to drive a big rig, yet their competency level is barely sufficient to drive a five ton locally.

These licenses are handed out way to freely in my opinion.[/quote]

The current means of ICBC testing is inadequate, to say the least - they don't touch on chains period. I have helped other drivers on the Coq. chain up because they hadn't a clue how to do it, and the one driver in particular wasn't taught how to use his splitter button and didn't know what it was for. Kinda scary thinking about class 1 drivers on the Coq. unable to install chains properly & unable to split gears.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Eires wrote:The current means of ICBC testing is inadequate, to say the least - they don't touch on chains period. I have helped other drivers on the Coq. chain up because they hadn't a clue how to do it, and the one driver in particular wasn't taught how to use his splitter button and didn't know what it was for. Kinda scary thinking about class 1 drivers on the Coq. unable to install chains properly & unable to split gears.

Scary indeed!

Roads have been drastically improved, trucks benefit from far better technology than was available 30-40yrs ago, yet the end result is more carnage.

Something is definitely wrong with this picture.
selling123

Post by selling123 »

I have no part of White Line Driving School what so ever, I also took training at Extreme Pro in the past and they are great as well. I'm a red seal welder up in camp that had some time and decided to take the training. Wasn't going to be a job change just something to fill my time. The training was great and I was shown everything I needed to pass the icbc test.

I have chained up trucks before and it was offered but I did not need the extra practice. The 20 hr course is a short time to learn to drive a semi but the other courses that are $1000 more give you two extra days of driving. If you think you can drive and are comfortable driving big vehicles the 20hr course is good.

Guys who think they learn a lot more by taking two extra days of training and have the cash to blow are welcome to. For me white line worked.
selling123

Post by selling123 »

The 20hr or 30hr course isn't enough time to be a pro truck driver. It takes years of driving to get to that level. The courses offered here in Kelowna are designed to pass the ICBC road test that it, just the basics. I was just tossing up my 2 cents and letting people know what the experience was like dealing with white line.

White Line was great and less expensive

Extreme Pro was great when I delt with them 3years ago and would have gone to them again but didn't want to spend the extra grand for 2 more days of training when I already knew how to drive truck.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

How does a kid get a chance these days ?

Sheesh
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Referrals”