CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Business and professional recommendations.
SLX2007
Fledgling

Re: CLASS 1 Driver Training Schools

Post by SLX2007 »

oldtrucker wrote:I am glad that one of the posters said it the way it is in that there is essentially no work out there.One post mentioned 30 cents per mile....less than minimum wage.There never was a "professional" driver shortage,and there never will be.Actually there is no such thing as a "professional" driver either.With so many experienced truckers out there that are out of work or working for less than what someone would make at a hourly minimum wage job,it's surprising that people are even interested in getting their class 1.A bit off topic, but important points to consider before dropping $$$ into something that by the way things are going,may not pay off.There are also a lot of TFW's in trucking,making competition for jobs even more challenging .I recommend to anyone thinking of getting into this should wait until companies are required to pay by the hour like every other industry.The way things are now-getting paid by piecework or by the mile is terrible.People are working 60-70-80 and sometimes 90 hours per week for less money than what someone working for minimum wage 45 hours per week would make.Safety?There is no safety working those kind of hours.If a person has good employment lined up,spending $3000 for a class 1 isn't that bad.

When I PAID to get my Class 1 I walked into a dream job (choice of numerous). I earned my spurs working in the oil patch in Alberta and northern BC. T4 was pretty impressive for the first two years and made that driver training school course look like peanuts because of the financial return. No regrets, it was a good career choice.

Anyone wanting a Class 1 should wait til the well servicing companies or other hauling companies get busier later this year and apply. Get all your field time, learn the ropes, get REAL driving experience (that the school simply aren't able to give you). The higher end local courses are good. Listen, ask questions, Two years and I never wrecked a truck or broke anything. Hauled some big ugly nasty stuff around the mountains and back country. Scared myself, roared out loud with laughter sometimes, Shook my head too. Lots. Good times.

An oilpatch Class 1 is good for $70-150k a year depending where and doing what, and how busy/how much time off you want. Some guys work winter only. Who'd do OTR driving, when you could work at McDonalds for more money? I've been paid by the hour (well, I would add) and worked on base plus job bonus structure. All good, worked out to be the same for same effort. No cents per KM for me. Looked at how much I'm paid per shift for actual amount of work done, and lol'd.

Once you have a Class 1, you never lose it (unless DUI/banned lol). Nice to have for a long term career back up plan, even if you drive for just a few years you'll see the highway and driving on it in a whole new light, and your respect for truckers (well, the real professionals among us) will increase.
Okanagan & the oil patch
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

As a once upon a time Class 1 holder, and having driven many commercial vehicles, including logging trucks on icy mountain roads, IMO truck driving is a mugs game.
It is one of the few jobs where you can make an honest mistake and wind up getting charged and jailed for vehicular manslaughter etc.

How much money can you earn driving to pay for that kind of risk?

Not to mention being the victim of someone else's mistake, and having your kids go to your own funeral.
We're lost but we're making good time.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I went to Taylor pro training and took advanced class 1 driver training.

The instructors are very good and so is the scheduling. They are an accredited school which helps when going for funding.

Probably the only thing I would change is going for funding, I went through work bc but as one poster pointed out, the wages you earn in alberta easily pay for the cost of the course and waiting for funding just costs you in the long run.

Return to “Referrals”