Fresh Farm Eggs...where?

Business and professional recommendations.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Fresh Farm Eggs...where?

Post by pbear »

Lady tehMa wrote:I'm looking for farm fresh eggs in the Rutland or Kelowna area. Anybody you know of?

Both stores up in East Kelowna sell them, if you don’t mind coming up the hill.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Which stores are those, pbear? I'm not very familiar with the area.
I haven't failed until I quit.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Paynters Market on the Westside was selling great eggs up until last week. I'm not sure if they will continue selling through the winter as they usually shutter the windows in late Oct until Spring.

Many people misinterpret the definition of free run and free range. Generally , chicken raising people can call them "free run" provided the critters aren't in cages yet still indoors 24/7 and "free range" if the birds are given even the tiniest access to the outdoors. The terms are not necessarily linked to what the birds are eating.

Anyways, we picked up two dozen at Paynters and were told the chickens are free to roam outdoors all day and do some foraging for themselves. I'd buy more if we go back that way and I think you would be hard pressed to find better quality in terms of healthy eating.
Someone has to say it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The original poster of the topic (back in 2010) was on the West side - I'm in Rutland. I'll head up there for the Adventsmarkt but I hadn't planned a trip across the lake twice a month . . .
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay, I have been checking out the Castanet listings. Lots of folks on the west side, not as many over here on this side of the lake. Have a few texts out, we'll see what comes of them.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

The easiest store to find is across from McCullough pub. You just go up KLO past Harvest Golf Course and around a large curve. The other store is across from South Kelowna Elementary school.

I think Urban Fare also has farm eggs.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

med market has duck eggs
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Falcon Ridge Farm on Rifle Rd isn't taking any more egg customers on right now.

I had one person from Castanet get back to me by text, somewhere in North Glenmore I believe. Still waiting to confirm.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

sixxonesixx wrote:If anyone is fortunate to know about the lady in Summerland then that is where you can get the very best eggs. Not only the best largest eggs, but some of the purest real free run gems around. Most people say they have free run eggs but most are truly not. Many feed their stock pellets which are made from god knows where. I really never really cared too much until I tasted the difference side by side. In Summerland, their chickens have acres of fenced in land to eat bugs and such on top of a pretty healthy diet of bread crumbs. Her large eggs need elastic bands to close the carton almost every time. So do a little checking to what is being fed to the chickens before you say "they are the best".

Anyone who feeds their chickens a steady diet of bread crumbs isn't doing their hens any favours at. all.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

ShannonG wrote:Anyone who feeds their chickens a steady diet of bread crumbs isn't doing their hens any favours at. all.

From my personal experiences with laying hens......You are absolutely CORRECT! Bread crumbs are just a small treat that should only be consumed like a child with cookies. (Maybe my phraseology did not come out so right. I didn't meen that cookies consume children.....).

Good healthy chickens need dirt, gravel, bugs, worms, grass, corn, whole cereal grains, sunshine, plenty of water and some layer pellets.
Bring back the LIKE button.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 7th, 2017, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Someone has to say it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I did find someone in Glenmore who has eggs https://classifieds.castanet.net/details/free_range_farm_fresh_eggs/3278632/

Balducci Farm - her chickens do look happy. :up:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The wife brought home four dozen from work yesterday ... FOUR dozen ...

If I eat all those before they go bad , I'll grow feathers and start laying eggs myself..

either that or roll around in Original Shake and Bake and off myself in the oven ....

I can find out where she got them though .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MAPearce wrote:The wife brought home four dozen from work yesterday ... FOUR dozen ...

If I eat all those before they go bad , I'll grow feathers and start laying eggs myself..

either that or roll around in Original Shake and Bake and off myself in the oven ....

I can find out where she got them though .

You'll be eating a lot of hardboiled, egg salad sandwiches, and didn't I have to google it lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/commen ... ozen_eggs/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Potato Salad
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Referrals”