Best Mechanic in Kelowna?

Business and professional recommendations.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Best Mechanic in Kelowna?

Post by Bpeep »

It comes down to what you need done, and what kind of auto you have.
If you need some brake pads and the rotors are fine, the kid next door can do it for you.

Some procedures do need a tool particularly designed just for that job on that model.
Do you really want to go to Snap On to buy a 180 dollar wrench thats exclusive to your model so you can replace an inner tie rod, and without it, you're hooped? You will use the wrench once in your life.
The kid next door likely wont have one. Joe's auto repairs down the road likely will. Joe will do the job in minutes.
Without the tool, you might be at it for days and still fail.

Do you have an obvious engine problem making the computer send tons of wonky signals?
You or the kid next door can use the "shotgun" approach and keep replacing parts until the problem is solved.
No guarantees there either.
If Joe's auto repair has the diagnostic program, he can easily do the job for you.
This is where things change.
The manufacturers are charging HUGE dollars for the diagnostic programs, and, as new models come out, the upgrades.
Does Joe's Auto really want to pay many thousands of dollars for upgrades to programs to repair the scant half dozen of that model that may come in that year?
Year after year, you see more small repair shops close for this reason- they cant afford to buy the programs and upgrades from the manufacturers. They simply charge way too much.
Meanwhile, the dealership will see a number of the same model daily.
It is certainly perpetuating the service departments at the dealers, and eliminating the little guy.

It comes down to not only trusting the professionals, but also having some common sense as to your service requirements.
Brake pads, tire rotations, oil changes, mufflers, hoses, etc, anyone can do it.
If Joe's Auto Repair sends you to the dealer, its likely because of special tools or diagnostic equipment he cant justify/afford to buy.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

It sure would be easy if they didnt crush all those cool '72 chevys and make brillo pads out of them.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LT1_9C1

Post by LT1_9C1 »

Babbitman wrote:It comes down to what you need done, and what kind of auto you have.
If you need some brake pads and the rotors are fine, the kid next door can do it for you.

Some procedures do need a tool particularly designed just for that job on that model.
Do you really want to go to Snap On to buy a 180 dollar wrench thats exclusive to your model so you can replace an inner tie rod, and without it, you're hooped? You will use the wrench once in your life.
The kid next door likely wont have one. Joe's auto repairs down the road likely will. Joe will do the job in minutes.
Without the tool, you might be at it for days and still fail.

Do you have an obvious engine problem making the computer send tons of wonky signals?
You or the kid next door can use the "shotgun" approach and keep replacing parts until the problem is solved.
No guarantees there either.
If Joe's auto repair has the diagnostic program, he can easily do the job for you.
This is where things change.
The manufacturers are charging HUGE dollars for the diagnostic programs, and, as new models come out, the upgrades.
Does Joe's Auto really want to pay many thousands of dollars for upgrades to programs to repair the scant half dozen of that model that may come in that year?
Year after year, you see more small repair shops close for this reason- they cant afford to buy the programs and upgrades from the manufacturers. They simply charge way too much.
Meanwhile, the dealership will see a number of the same model daily.
It is certainly perpetuating the service departments at the dealers, and eliminating the little guy.

It comes down to not only trusting the professionals, but also having some common sense as to your service requirements.
Brake pads, tire rotations, oil changes, mufflers, hoses, etc, anyone can do it.
If Joe's Auto Repair sends you to the dealer, its likely because of special tools or diagnostic equipment he cant justify/afford to buy.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. Kick a$$ post.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Changing oil yourself? Gross!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
econovan64
Übergod

Post by econovan64 »

LT1_9C1 wrote:Paragon Motors
Rutland Auto Repairs
AGT Automotive
I'll say Rutland Auto Repair too

Someone else posted this a couple weeks ago asking for a auto mechanic.

PLEASE PEOPLE. What is the: Year, Make, Model of the vehicle needing the tuneup.

Would you really take a 2008 Mercedes Benz to Rutland Auto Repair.

On 2004up 5.4L Ford Trucks Only FORD Mechanics have the special plug wrench to get the #7 plug out of the cylinder. ONLY ford has the tool and no mechanic can purchase it (This is just an example of needing a vehicle specific mechanic)

Come on just because Paragon Motors did a brake job on your 1994 Ford Taurus doesn't mean they can work on everything.

Anyone fool enough to buy that truck deserves to pay $900 to get the plugs changed.
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
econovan64
Übergod

Post by econovan64 »

A word of advice. Don't trust tire shops to do mechanical work, ever. Same with brake and muffler shops. Always get a written estimate and a second opinion if the quote seems too high.

Unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest mechanics. The more you know about your vehicle the better off you will be. If you do your own maintenance you are much farther ahead than the Joe who drops his car off at the shop and just pays whatever they charge without having a clue about what was done.

Women are also victimized much more often than men and often told ridiculous things about their cars because the mechanics think they are gullible. My sister in law told me she just had her engine rebuilt and many other things done by her buddy mechanic who she thought was #1. The engine had never been out of the car, it hadn't even been washed, it was so filthy and leaking oil in many places. The bolts on the mounts etc had never seen a wrench. Relays and other parts he said were replaced were still original. She worked as a server in a bar and the mechanic was a regular, always giving her good tips. Finally the car died and I looked at it for her. She had spent thousands on it the past year at buddy's shop. The car was toast, worn out and none of the work she paid for had been done. She still swore he had done the work. Sucker!
"Granddaddy used to handle snakes in church. Granny drank strychnine. I guess you could say I had a leg up, genetically speaking." Wesley Strick
LT1_9C1

Post by LT1_9C1 »

Anyone fool enough to buy that truck deserves to pay $900 to get the plugs changed.

That's the F150 2004up maybe even 97up

2003.5 to 2007 Ford F250 and F350 6.0L diesels have a notorious EGR and head gasket problem.
To change the head gaskets the complete cab has to be taken off the truck just to get to the engine.
Call Ford its around 60 Hours plus parts.
If you have one of those trucks and its over 100,000kms expect it to happen.

There is a nice 2005 F350 Crew, black full load, 107,000kms at Jacobsen's GM for $22,000. No one will touch it because its a 6.0L
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

LT1_9C1 wrote:

That's the F150 2004up maybe even 97up

2003.5 to 2007 Ford F250 and F350 6.0L diesels have a notorious EGR and head gasket problem.
To change the head gaskets the complete cab has to be taken off the truck just to get to the engine.
Call Ford its around 60 Hours plus parts.
If you have one of those trucks and its over 100,000kms expect it to happen.

There is a nice 2005 F350 Crew, black full load, 107,000kms at Jacobsen's GM for $22,000. No one will touch it because its a 6.0L

$22,000 to purchase than another $22,000 in fuel a year. :dyinglaughing:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dogbreath
Board Meister

Post by dogbreath »

grammafreddy wrote:Rutland Auto Repairs
205 Froelich Rd
Rutland
(250) 765-6555

Absolutely the best mechanic in the valley!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

You know you have a good mechanic when you bring your car that doesn't run, and he tells you that [insert part name] needs to be replaced, it will be this much, and you have no choice but agree.

Then you get a call few hours later and he tells you not to worry, because he managed to fix the part as opposed to putting a new one in by tinkering with it for 30 minutes, and it should serve you well for another year or so. All you do is pay for a little bit of labour as opposed to a huge bill for a brand new part.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

Williams service at corner of klo & benvoulin, good honest family run business.
LT1_9C1

Post by LT1_9C1 »

$22,000 to purchase than another $22,000 in fuel a year

You do realize that's 16058 Litres of diesel

84840 Miles at 20mpg that's like driving 136,500km's a year
(That must be one good hooker in Vancouver you see twice a week)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

LT1_9C1 wrote:On 2004up 5.4L Ford Trucks Only FORD Mechanics have the special plug wrench to get the #7 plug out of the cylinder. ONLY ford has the tool and no mechanic can purchase it (This is just an example of needing a vehicle specific mechanic)

Just because you or your mechanic does not have a specific required tool doesn't mean that it cannot be acquired.

http://www.otctools.com/products/ford_spark_plug_removal_kit
http://www.etoolcart.com/lisle-ford-triton-5.4-spark-plug-extractor--lis65600.aspx

$75 USD? If I owned one of those trucks, I'd definitely invest in the tool.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:I like Rutland Auto Repair, thanks.

Rightly so, you are entitled to that opinion.

I'd however be inclined to say it depends on the make, model, and day, as to how successful things turn out.

I've experienced great success in some instances and not so great in others.

Then again, to be fair, I believe the same can be said about every shop in town.

Car repair is a crapshoot at the best of times.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Referrals”