Recommend a good dentist?

Business and professional recommendations.
mami_of_two

Recommend a good dentist?

Post by mami_of_two »

Can anyone recommend a good dentist in Kelowna?

My family and I just switched to a new dentist here in town as we couldn't get into our old dentist. This dentist has always allowed me to be in the room while he worked on my children's teeth - cleanings, emergency root canal and tooth extraction on one of my children.

My children and I go in today for two more of my one child's teeth to be extracted and his hygienist is not only abrupt with me telling I cannot be in the room with my child while she has her procedure done but insisting I leave the room and go to the waiting room, where I was then told by the receptionist that with pediatric appointments parents cannot be in the room with the child. I told her I would speak to the dentist to see how badly she needed her tooth pulled and why things have changed to me now not being allowed in the room...I waiting 15 minutes for the dentist to finally talk to me, he gave me some excuses and needless to say, I caved and told him despite what has always happened with me allowed in the room before and the fact I believe it is in my child's best interest for me to be with her, I told him he could work on her 'alone' this time and that would be the last time...well he told me 'we are done here' and he kicked my children and I out of his office and refused to extract her teeth. So now that brings me to trying to find a dentist for my family...please help!
sassybee
Board Meister

Re: Recommend a good dentist?

Post by sassybee »

Dr Jason Wasylyk on ambrosia. Great guy, has kids, works on kids. I was in the room with my kids. Quality work. Wouldn't go anywhere else.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Creekside Dental is where I go.
Their great.
I mostly see Gillian.
I think she would be good with children.
You would have to give them a call re: you being
in the room with your daughter being worked on
as I'm not sure about that one.
http://www.creeksidedentalclinic.ca/
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

mami_of_two wrote:
My children and I go in today for two more of my one child's teeth to be extracted

Two OR MORE to be extracted?
Are your kids teeth that bad?
Sounds like you shoulda had them in some time ago to fill them.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
itzmewilson

Post by itzmewilson »

I'm also looking for a good dentist.

Can't say I would recommend Creekside though. I went for a regular "cleaning". My teeth are healthy.
The hygenist spent 1 1/2 hours measuring the bone density of my teeth, then only actually "cleaned" a small section of my teeth before saying "time's up! You need to rebook to come back and get the rest done".

Being a single mom, on a budget and this procedure having used up the time slot of whatever benefits I have that covered my appt - there is no way I could afford to go back on my dime. I will not be returning.
mami_of_two

Post by mami_of_two »

[quote="Bman"]
Tow OR MORE to be extracted?
Are your kids teeth that bad?
Sounds like you shoulda had them in some time ago to fill them.[/quote]

Actually Bman - it has NOTHING to do with cavities, her adult teeth are almost in but her baby teeth are not lose or ready to come out also she needs teeth pulled so I can get her braces! I am a single hard working mother and limited budget but get myself and children in every 6 months for a cleaning. Also, I asked for a post on a dentist not a comment on my children's teeth :)
mami_of_two

Post by mami_of_two »

Thank you for the comment 'itzmewilson' I too am a single mom of two and tight budget!
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

I would not recommend the one on KLO/Richter. Over 10 years I added up there charges to my dental plan $30,000. Always going in for white fillings, a couple root canals too and begging to do my crowns over the root canals. I no longer have a dental plan because I run my own business and switched dentists and now maybe 1 cavity a year. It's disheartening when my new dentist of 3 years brings up my X-rays on the screen and all the tops of my teeth are white with fillings.

Some of my family members still go there. They must be in there 5 times a year or more. They love the dental plans on KLO.
The last time I dealt with them was when I called in October for tooth pain and they said sorry Doctor P is booking into the 1st week of January. What a dental mill.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Dr. So @ Lakeland Dental. Very friendly staff! http://www.lakelanddentalcentre.com/about.html
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I highly recommend Creekside Dental, Dr. Brendon Burgess
SoyChai
Fledgling

Post by SoyChai »

Dental research regarding pediatrics OVERWHELMINGLY supports the parent not being in the room with the child. The majority of pediatric dentists will absolutely not allow a parent in the operatory and now general dentists are starting to follow suit. It really is in the best interest of your child - and while they may cry and protest at first, they generally do better during the procedure and the dentist can work more effectively.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

It may be more helpful if the OP stated the ages of her kids. If one is getting ready for braces and hasn't lost her baby teeth but should have by now, I assume she is at least ten? (Don't know if they do braces on kids as young as ten - didn't in my day).

Maybe the reason you can't ' get into' your old dentist and the new dentist won't let you in with your child any longer is that you are disruptive and they feel your child is old enough to be there alone. Any kid getting braces is old enough not to need mommy. (This from someone who did have braces as a kid).

As far as the dentist 'kicking' you and your children out - you basically implied that you would do him a favour by letting him treat your kid this one time alone, but then you were dropping him. What did you expect?

I go to Creekside - I see Dr Todd and my hubby sees Dr Colin. I do hear kids occasionally in other cubicles but have never heard a parent in with a child. The poster who was there for an hour and a half getting teeth measured for bone density? Very strange. I find they book one hour appointments for cleaning and have never had measuring for bone density take more than a few minutes. Not sure why they would have booked such a large chunk of time in advance for you....
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I switch dentists every 6 months. This way you can't easily be tracked by the government through dental records.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I do my own.
T3's, balvenie scotch, dremel tool, pliers, resin, catalyst.
Its easiest with 2 mirrors.
No records.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Gypsylady
Fledgling

Post by Gypsylady »

While we're on the subject of teeth..........can anyone recommend
a GOOD denturist that will make proper fitting dentures? I am in need
of one.

Return to “Referrals”