Recommend a good dentist?

Business and professional recommendations.
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Recommend a good dentist?

Post by omisimaw »

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
SoyChai
Fledgling

Post by SoyChai »

Ohhhh Mexican dentistry...risky business. Even with references, there still tends to be more problems than with dentistry here. I've seen it on many occasions and the work is being redone in Canada which then amounts to a bigger cost overall than if it were done here to begin with. Lots of porcelain crowns chipping and falling apart, lots of root canals that didn't get sealed all the way to the tip of the root so years later problems creep up again. Sometimes the problem lies with the quality of materials the lab is using and not with the quality of work the dentist did.

Oh and yes you can get zirconia crowns in Canada, they are great and have been available for many years.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Dr. Tom Martin - Harvey and Ellis - Best dentist I have ever ever had; as reaonably priced as one could expect; gentle; understanding....and he stands behind his work..."I don't like the way that looks (after two years)...let me fix it...gratis.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

:)))
Last edited by the_zipper on Jun 6th, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

SoyChai wrote:Ohhhh Mexican dentistry...risky business. Even with references, there still tends to be more problems than with dentistry here. I've seen it on many occasions and the work is being redone in Canada which then amounts to a bigger cost overall than if it were done here to begin with. Lots of porcelain crowns chipping and falling apart, lots of root canals that didn't get sealed all the way to the tip of the root so years later problems creep up again. Sometimes the problem lies with the quality of materials the lab is using and not with the quality of work the dentist did.

Oh and yes you can get zirconia crowns in Canada, they are great and have been available for many years.

oh yeah the great dentists in Canada...Had a root canal done in Vernon over 4 years ago and it was never done properly because it still hurts...It should not HURT IF the root canal was done properly.......that is why they do a root canal, get rid of the pain and then put a crown in there.....she wouldn't do anything for me until I got my dental plan involved and got most of my money back cause she screwed up....Oh yeah those great Canadian dentists are SO MUCH BETTER aren't they.....what a joke
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

omisimaw wrote:who can recommend a cheap dentist

there is no such thing as a CHEAP dentist..............they all OVERCHARGE for what you get.......It is on the verge of criminal at times what they THINK they are worth.....
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

overcharge? sure its expensive but then again consider this, they need to attend university for 4 years and achieve high grades to even apply for dental school, then 4 years of dental school which I am sure is not cheap.
Then comes the cost of setting up shop and hiring staff ( paying canadian wages )

I don't know about you but if I invest 8 years of hard work with no income and spend roughly a million dollars I would expect a decent return.

If you can afford to go to mexico for third world service surely you could have afforded some toothpaste and a toothbrush to begin with.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

yikes! I just looked up dental tuition fees at ubc and now I wonder how a person can even afford to become a dentist in this province.

Total fees for first year = 54,479.95 which does not cover living expenses.. my guesstimate is approx 75-80 grand per year for four years add their cost of 4 years of university and setting up shop ... again....yikes

http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php ... _Dentistry
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Well if they have to live away from home then there is always the option of going elsewhere..... Like Alberta or Sask etc....
Unfortunately it can be a matter of shopping around and also apply apply apply for every scholorship bursery funding of any kind you can...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

You cant apply for scholarships in UBC's dental program, scholarship recipients are recommended by the faculty.
You will need to apply for any bursaries and prove financial need.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mmmj

Post by mmmj »

Dr Brian Ashley
He is so wonderful to me, works within the tight confines of my budget, his staff will call after something bigger is done to male sure your not in to much pain. Huge beautiful fish rank, kid area
205-3295 Lakeshore Road
(250) 860-6503

Good luck to you and merry Christmas

Cheers!
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Bman wrote:You cant apply for scholarships in UBC's dental program, scholarship recipients are recommended by the faculty.
You will need to apply for any bursaries and prove financial need.

There are lots of scholorships available as well as bursaries for persons wishing to attend university from their first year all the way to the end... there are also fellowships and a variety of other avenues. There are union, organizations and private individuals who offer $... those with ties to the organization etc. sometimes have more chance as it is a requirement to apply.
Persons interested should speak to the student union rep and or the financial services department of the university.
Information and application forms and instructions are available on the internet.
Well worth everyone entering post secondary ed these days to do the dance and apply apply apply to every and any one you can.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

<<sigh>> Read what I said.
I didnt say university, I said dental program.

And you dont become a dentist by completing a 4 year degree program.
And since you're in the habit of contesting everyone, read further.
A hygenist is not a dentist.
Someone in UBC's hygenist program can apply for scholarships.
Someone in the dental program cannot. They can only be recommended for scholarship by the faculty.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Bman wrote:<<sigh>> Read what I said.
I didnt say university, I said dental program.

And you dont become a dentist by completing a 4 year degree program.
And since you're in the habit of contesting everyone, read further.
A hygenist is not a dentist.
Someone in UBC's hygenist program can apply for scholarships.
Someone in the dental program cannot. They can only be recommended for scholarship by the faculty.

<<sigh>> Read what I said as well.
And you can not become a dentist without first completing a 4 year degree program.
And I was not contesting anything.
So quit trying to embellish your opinion with untruths and read further.
I never once mentioned a hygenist or a program at UBC dedicated to this profession, if there is one.
I was speaking to the availability of financial aid to post secondary students.
Persons in dental programs are absolutely eligible to apply for scholorships and do not need to be recommended by any faculty!
Women's Club Anne Wesbrook Scholarship A scholarship of $1175, given by the Faculty Women's Club of the University of BC, was established in 1919 to honour Anne Wesbrook, wife of the first President of UBC, and a founding member and Honorary President of the Club until her death in 1957. It is awarded to a woman student who has obtained a baccalaureate degree from this university and is continuing her studies at the graduate level or in the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry or Law at this university or any other approved university; or to a woman who, after third year of university studies, is proceeding directly to a degree in Medicine, Dentistry or Law at this university or any other approved university.

The bottom line is if you are entering post secondary education in this day and age and you are in a financial bind there are avenues you can tap into and apply for assistance.... it is not going to come to you, you have to research and do the work of applying for any hope of an award, busary, scholarship or other financial aid....
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Perhaps this quip from UBC DMD site will help you.
I know you think you are always right, but, ya know, often you, well, you just arent.

''Please note that you do not apply individually for any of the awards. Scholarships, Prizes and Awards are generally awarded by nomination by the Faculty. Bursary assistance is available based on financial need and the availability of University funds. To be eligible for bursary assistance including Dentistry-specific bursaries, you must submit an application to the Student Financial Assistance and Awards Office. To obtain information on bursary applications and deadlines, click on “Scholarships & Bursaries” in the left hand column of the Awards screen''

You do not apply for scholarships in the ubc dmd program. You are recommended by the faculty for it.
If you were not referring to it, then why did you quote what I said.
Quit twisting other peeps words just to try to make yourself look like the smartest person on earth.

BTW, that scholarship you mentioned wouldnt get you thru one week of dental school.

Return to “Referrals”