Kelowna recommendations requested...

Business and professional recommendations.
Kuhltiffany

Kelowna recommendations requested...

Post by Kuhltiffany »

Hi there! We just moved to Kelowna from Ontario. I'm looking for service recommendations, who you like, prefer for things like dentist, orthodontist, car/house insurance, oil changes, etc. We just bought a house in the Black Mountain area, and have kids aged 9 and 10, if that helps.

As well, any "local tips or tricks", do's or don'ts would be appreciated!

Last edited by Kuhltiffany on Aug 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Recommendations requested...

Post by the truth »

capri car insurance in caprimall, always great to deal with imo,also a dentist in that mall hes very good dr tusca Aslani
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Capri will also discount home insurance if you get your car insurance there; I think they tie it in with your driving record.
My husband likes the oil change place behind Skogies' Car Wash (on Underhill across the street from Superstore).
Hints: grocery shopping on the weekend is best done before 10:30 am, after that it gets really busy. Costco is quietest when there is a 'game' of some kind on the TV.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Precision Automotive on the Westside for car repairs.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

the truth wrote:capri car insurance in caprimall, always great to deal with imo,also a dentist in that mall hes very good dr tusca Aslani

BCAA for vehicle and home insurance, they will discount if you apply for a membership, corner of Hwy 97 and Burtch Rd.

Welcome to Kelowna, Black Mountain is a lovely area to live in.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Kelowna Recommendations requested...

Post by Lady tehMa »

Black Mountain? I'd recommend Rutland Auto for car repairs/servicing; they're fairly close and an excellent company.

There is a dental thread around here somewhere, I've had a few I've liked - currently with Access Dental over on Cooper.

Doctors though - that can be hard. Took me three months of door knocking after my own doc retired. :/ Choose something fairly close, go in, explain your situation and hope.

Shopping - plan your trips. Don't try to get everything at the big box stores (I do practically live at Costco, they are cheaper for many things), check out the smaller places like the strip mall at the corner of 33 and Hollywood - they have a butcher, a baker and a green-grocer. I've shopped (and continue to shop) all 3 but for particular items. I generally shop at Coopers and IGA because they're close. I'll even stop at Superstore for items I can't get elsewhere.

Kids 9 & 10 - the BC Tree Fruits Store (all kinds of fruit & veg, my kids just call it the apple store) has moved from Clement to Vaughan. http://www.oktreefruit.com/

While you're down that area stop in at the Sun Rype Warehouse - you can get their products for much cheaper - I think they're open Wednesdays from 10-2 but I haven't been since spring so best call first.
Sun-Rype Products Ltd (Warehouse Store)
Address: 1130 Weddell
Phone:(250) 470-6400

Over at Gordon and Lawrence is Mediterranean Market - they make the best sandwiches and have a really neat selection.
1570 Gordon Dr, Kelowna, BC V1Y 3G7 Directions
250-762-2000
Over on Sutherland is Valaroso Foods - like Med Market but not.
Valoroso Foods
1467 Sutherland Ave Kelowna, BC V1Y 5Y4
(250) 860-3631

It's harvest season too - so pick a direction and drive, you'll find an orchard or a fruit stand :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Kuhltiffany

Re: Kelowna recommendations requested...

Post by Kuhltiffany »

Thanks everyone! Great info :)

Any pool/backyard designer/landscape companies? I'd love to put in a pool and re-do the backyard.

We're finding that this town is the opposite of most others we've lived in…shopping and traffic are worse during the weekdays, better nights and weekends? Although I wonder if that will change in the fall/winter, lol!

Now just to figure out what to do if school doesn't happen next week...
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Fall isn't so bad. Winter . . . if a snowflake hits the ground everyone over 60 forgets how to drive. And everyone in an SUV or truck thinks they own the road. Then you get road rage and stupid moves and LOTS of accidents. I personally stay off the main roads when the snow hits, unless I simply can't.

When I moved here my dad gave me one line of advice. "Drive like they're trying to kill you." So far it has worked well . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree lol
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mmt

Post by mmt »

<<When I moved here my dad gave me one line of advice. "Drive like they're trying to kill you." So far it has worked well . . .>>

Bahahahaha...

Return to “Referrals”