Costco: what is cheaper?

Business and professional recommendations.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Costco: what is cheaper?

Post by Logitack »

clearly, electronics -- stereo equipment, computers, TVs, and the like are not cheaper than FS/BB/Visions,

so what things are cheaper to buy at costco compared to other stores online or within kelowna stores?

are grocery items cheaper?

meats cheaper?

frozen food?

bakery items?

canned goods?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Costco: what is cheaper?

Post by Bsuds »

Pretty much all the above. An example is cans of Sockeye Salmon that we compared prices on just yesterday. $4.59 ea at Save on and $9.99 for a 3 pack at Costco. Meat is generally cheaper and excellent quality. Their return policy is excellent as well.

My hearing aids at Costco are pretty much half price which saves me a couple of thousand dollars every few years and eye glasses are way cheaper there too. You can always find something cheaper elsewhere if you look or is it's a clearance sale but for the most part Costco can't be beat.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Buying even one big-ticket item easily pays for your annual membership in savings. Also, the return policy is second to none.

I like shopping online with them, you get all the ease of shopping at your desk, beer in hand, and almost without exception shipping is free. Then, if you don't like it, easy return, no issues.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jo wrote: Also, the return policy is second to none.

They will even take back used condoms from an unsatisfied customer. I only know because Bsuds told me.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:Pretty much all the above. An example is cans of Sockeye Salmon that we compared prices on just yesterday. $4.59 ea at Save on and $9.99 for a 3 pack at Costco. Meat is generally cheaper and excellent quality. Their return policy is excellent as well.

My hearing aids at Costco are pretty much half price which saves me a couple of thousand dollars every few years and eye glasses are way cheaper there too. You can always find something cheaper elsewhere if you look or is it's a clearance sale but for the most part Costco can't be beat.

Another is prescriptions. They charge 1/2 what most pharmacies do for the dispensing fee and less for the meds as well.

You still have to watch your prices. Just about everything can be found on sale cheaper than Costco at one time or another. If you were to just take a list of items, without concern about sales. Costco, on average would be less.

But, you have to buy the quantity they sell.

Beef, for me, is an issue. Other than whole pieces like full tenderloins, they blade tenderize their beef. I like my beef rare, so I don't buy it at Costco, even though the price is less. (except the full tenderloins)

They don't take manufacturer's coupons.

Jo wrote:Buying even one big-ticket item easily pays for your annual membership in savings. Also, the return policy is second to none.

I like shopping online with them, you get all the ease of shopping at your desk, beer in hand, and almost without exception shipping is free. Then, if you don't like it, easy return, no issues.

Yes ! On line. The other day my laser printer needed toner, you know, that annoying pop-up reminder all the time. I checked the prices at the Brother site, Staples and Costco. Cheapest was Costco, went on line, it was at my door later the same week. No shipping charges.

As for the membership fee. I'm an executive member, costs $115 a year, but they give you back 2% of your purchases. So, I saved hundreds and hundreds on my purchases over the year and then got back a coupon for $25 more than my membership fee.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

one would have to spend $6000 to pay the membership fee of $115... or $115 per week, unless of course one is buying a hearing aid and 65 inch TV every year...

but for grocery items, cereals, meats, fruits and veggies, canned goods, are the prices at costco cheaper on a week by week basis compared to a saveon, walmart or safeway "regular prices", generally speaking?

I was going to go comparison shopping at costco and see for myself, and maybe purchase some meat items but the long line ups kinda turn me off. So i thought I would ask on the forums :)

I am a member of costco, although i let my card lapse for over 10 years or more... the last couple of years I been buying items online from costco and used my outdated card number and always received my purchases with no issue. recently i had to return a steel rim because it was bent so of course they noticed my card was invalid :) so i decided i may as well get the $115 membership and see how much of the 2% will pay for the membership fee over the year.

My guess is other than meat, which i am not convinced is cheaper at costco, (better quality maybe) costco prices are the same as a safeway,saveon, walmart stores. I am sure there are exceptions but generally speaking costco prices are the same as other brick and mortar stores in kelowna...yes?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For a single person Costco makes little to no sense (with maybe exception of clothing i.e Jeans), once you start buying for Family different story.

Or a Family Reunion most likely only time 20 Litre bucket of pickles would ever be used. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Logitack wrote: I am a member of costco, although i let my card lapse for over 10 years or more...

Well by definition, having a card that is lapsed for over 10 years, would mean you are not a member.

Logitack wrote:I was going to go comparison shopping at costco and see for myself, and maybe purchase some meat items but the long line ups kinda turn me off.

Not to mention that they wouldn't let you in because you don’t have a membership.

Costco isn't for everyone. If you want to scour the fliers and clip coupons likely 70% of the time you could meet or beat a price at Costco. You may have to stock up on an item so you can hold out until a good price comes around.

I'm sure part of the mystique is the warehouse setting with pallets of product, has to be cheap, right ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

my5cents wrote:Not to mention that they wouldn't let you in because you don’t have a membership.

lol, i never had a problem entering costco with the outdated membership card...i flashed the card and they waved me in. Of course I wouldnt be able to purchase anything with the outdated card and would have to buy/renew the membership for the year ;)

i used the card number online and had NO issue... items were paid for via mastercard or visa, (something you cant do at the store itself) and items were received within a week.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Logitack wrote:lol, i never had a problem entering costco with the outdated membership card...i flashed the card and they waved me in. Of course I wouldnt be able to purchase anything with the outdated card and would have to buy/renew the membership for the year ;)

i used the card number online and had NO issue... items were paid for via mastercard or visa, (something you cant do at the store itself) and items were received within a week.

Yes, you're right, as long as you've got something to flash at them going in the door you'd be fine.

I think you can buy on line without a membership. Different rules. Just like you say, you can pay with VISA or Mastercard vs just Amex in the stores. Ironically you can also renew your membership on line and pay with VISA or MasterCard.

There are several items that are sold at very good prices. 81 mg ASA tablets are an example.
Recently Bayer, on sale at Super Store at $7.21 per 100, Costco Bayer on sale at $4.93 per 100, BUT Kirkland ASA not on sales $1.66 per 100.

Unfortunately, you'd have to fill one room of your house with pills to recoup the price of membership.

I guess the way to look at either buying a standard membership at (I think) $55 or an executive at $115 is, how much you'd have to spend to make up the extra $60, which is $3000.

I've been lucky I've got a buddy that always needs to buy shelving, a work bench a refrigerator etc and he doesn't have a membership, so I buy it for him and get the 2%
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Use the Amex card and get a small percentage cash back as well. Regular membership is $55 and Executive is 110 (according to their website) so really if you get anything over $55 back in rebates then you are ahead of the game.

We buy the whole top sirloin and cut it up myself. I have weighed the waste and it still works out cheaper than in the other stores not withstanding sale prices. I know what the sale price needs to be to save elsewhere. (helps to have an accurate scale at home) We also have a vacuum sealing machine so can freeze and keep fresh for a much longer time.
Chicken is quite a bit cheaper at Costco and better quality.

When we factor in all the savings, rebates, quality, return policy etc. it makes good sense to us to shop there.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:Use the Amex card and get a small percentage cash back as well. Regular membership is $55 and Executive is 110 (according to their website) so really if you get anything over $55 back in rebates then you are ahead of the game.

We buy the whole top sirloin and cut it up myself. I have weighed the waste and it still works out cheaper than in the other stores not withstanding sale prices. I know what the sale price needs to be to save elsewhere. (helps to have an accurate scale at home) We also have a vacuum sealing machine so can freeze and keep fresh for a much longer time.
Chicken is quite a bit cheaper at Costco and better quality.

When we factor in all the savings, rebates, quality, return policy etc. it makes good sense to us to shop there.

I quoted one without tax and one (almost) with.

The regular membership is $57.75 with tax, and the executive is exactly double that $115.50.

And I've got the vacuum sealer and a good scale as well. It's quite the protocol around our place, portioning, weighing, labeling.

Just don't forget, the beef is BLADE TENDERISED.

Can't even get away from Costco on holidays. First place we hit when we arrive in Maui each year is Costco, right by the airport.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

http://foodpoisoningbulletin.com/2014/c ... ized-beef/

It either has to be labelled now or will be soon.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Meat is definitely cheaper and better quality. I buy the whole beef top sirloins and pork loins too and portion it out. I also find their breads to be better quality, the tortillas last quite awhile before becoming brittle or drying out. The grocery stores ones seem to all be crap right out of the bag. I don't buy much produce there as I prefer to buy local. They are also great for stocking on on snacks for school. They have a great cracker selection and the cheese is way cheaper. I have the executive membership and my cash back was $30 more than my membership renewal.

The returns are great. I have never had an issue. I bought a Dyson that was a lemon and they swapped it out no questions asked. The new one works fine.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jennylives wrote:Meat is definitely cheaper and better quality. I buy the whole beef top sirloins and pork loins too and portion it out. I also find their breads to be better quality, the tortillas last quite awhile before becoming brittle or drying out. The grocery stores ones seem to all be crap right out of the bag. I don't buy much produce there as I prefer to buy local. They are also great for stocking on on snacks for school. They have a great cracker selection and the cheese is way cheaper. I have the executive membership and my cash back was $30 more than my membership renewal.

The returns are great. I have never had an issue. I bought a Dyson that was a lemon and they swapped it out no questions asked. The new one works fine.

Just confirming, jennylives, so many say "the meat is better quality". You do realize the ramifications of blade tenderizing ?

I agree the quality is good with the proviso that you MUST regard the meat needing special cooking as you would with ground meat. ie, well done.

Personally I like my beef rare, including roasts so, sadly I won't buy Costco roasts. I've even contacted them and asked that they consider supplying both blade tenderized and non-blade tenderized. Nope.

Their beef tenderloin and their full pork loins are NOT blade tenderized and I do buy them. Even when Super Store or whoever have whole tenderloins on sale, the trim of Costco's is much better, IMO.

Return to “Referrals”