Costco: what is cheaper?

Business and professional recommendations.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Costco: what is cheaper?

Post by Captain Awesome »

We don't buy much there except for food, but the meat apparently is quite cheaper and way better quality than all the other stores.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

my5cents is correct about prescriptions and you do not have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy, just walk in and get your prescription but can't buy anything else without membership.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:We don't buy much there except for food, but the meat apparently is quite cheaper and way better quality than all the other stores.

Don't they all get their meat from the same place?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 30th, 2014, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

what is the "ideal" time to go shopping at costco?

ideal = in and out without too long of a wait at the cash register
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even when busy I don't find the waits excessive. If you want fast then go when they first open (and don't loiter) or around dinner time.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Right after work is usually the worst. Right after work on Friday - you want to start running through the crowds with your eyes closed pretending to be a quarterback.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I usually go around 3 and can be in and out in 30 minutes. Even when the lines are around the corner they go fairly quickly. I head to the center tills, they have much shorter lines.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Logitack wrote:what is the "ideal" time to go shopping at costco?

ideal = in and out without too long of a wait at the cash register

The moment they open in the morning, thats the same for any retailer.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Dairy is cheaper - cream and cheese for sure.

I feed a family of 4, two of which are teenagers. We're in Costco OFTEN.

There is a danger with impulse buys though. Some things are worth it, like socks for the kids (better quality = lasts longer, and the cheaper price means is a deal). But do I REALLY need that giant bag of popcorn?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:Dairy is cheaper - cream and cheese for sure.

I haven't been to Costco for at least 5 years, but I seem to recall dairy being on par, if not more expensive than places like the RCSS. Is 1 litre of half and half less than the Super Store price of $1.89? If so, I'm going to have to hit Costco up again one of these days.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:I haven't been to Costco for at least 5 years, but I seem to recall dairy being on par, if not more expensive than places like the RCSS. Is 1 litre of half and half less than the Super Store price of $1.89? If so, I'm going to have to hit Costco up again one of these days.

I bought a litre on Aug 17th at Costco and it was $1.89, not on sale. Super Store May 14th 1 litre, also not on sale was $2.89. Costco seems to bounce between $1.69, $1.79 and $1.89. Super Store will, at times sell for $1.79 if you buy 2.

Your right, I've found cheese is on par with sale prices at Super Store. That is Costco's regular price with Super Store's sale price.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That is about what I've found. One other thing - cheese from Costco seems to last longer than cheese from Superstore. I only buy non-perishables at Superstore, if I can help it. And stevia - they have the best price on the brand I like.

Chips are cheaper at Costco. Romaine lettuce is cheaper. The big bags of peas and corn are cheaper (and organic, not that the designation matters to me).

Chicken thighs used to be cheaper, but aren't now. Their hamburger is one of the better prices around town.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I haven't bought produce in the store of any kind since June. You might be able to beat the price in Costco, but you can't beat the freshness of the local farmer's market.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 31st, 2014, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Glacier wrote:I've bought produce in the store of any kind since June. You might be able to beat the price in Costco, but you can't beat the freshness of the local farmer's market.

We've started buying sandwich meat from Johnny's meat shop at Hollywood and Hwy 33. Same prices as Superstore, but the smell and flavor is way way above and beyond. Worth a trip.

Return to “Referrals”