Anxiety Support groups.

Business and professional recommendations.
Mikey1988

Anxiety Support groups.

Post by Mikey1988 »

I am looking for any information on anxiety support groups on the kelowna area. Everyone I call has stopped it seems. If anyone knows of any, or has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Anxiety Support groups.

Post by coffeeFreak »

This program might be worth looking into:

Bounce Back is an evidence-based program designed to help adults experiencing symptoms of mild to moderate depression, low mood, or stress, with or without anxiety...Bounce Back community coaches assist in the teaching of problem-solving and other skills to overcome difficulties such as inactivity, unhelpful thinking, worry, and avoidance. Access to the coaching component requires a doctor's referral.

http://www.cmha.bc.ca/how-we-can-help/adults/bounceback
Mikey1988

Post by Mikey1988 »

Thank you, I will look into it.
Mikey1988

Post by Mikey1988 »

Anyone else know of anything?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Not sure if this group is still open http://www.panicandanxietyrecoverygroup.com/recoverygroups.html

This is the Anxiety BC website: http://www.anxietybc.com/anxiety

Also heard the Crisis Line has a lot of info on community resources and groups, so that might be worth checking out.

Good luck Mikey1988
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Kelowna Mental Health Centre do have anxiety and depression groups, downtown, Ellis Street. You may need a referral from your family doctor, but not sure - the phone no.: 250-868-7788
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Type_O wrote:Kelowna Mental Health Centre do have anxiety and depression groups, downtown, Ellis Street. You may need a referral from your family doctor, but not sure - the phone no.: 250-868-7788

If you go down there, you can can talk to an intake worker. You don't need a referral They are wonderful, and I highly recommend them. :)
Mikey1988

Post by Mikey1988 »

Really? O wow thanks so much!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I highly recommend Cognative Behavoir Therapy (CBT). After being in a constant state of panic attacks my doctor referred me to something called USTAT (not sure if this is available in Kelowna). After the intake they offered a few different types of therapy. This one was a life saver! After doing the 12 week class I was anxiety free and for the most part I have been for the past 7.5 years. When axiety happens I have the tools to catch early and deal with it appropriately.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Pretty sure USTAT is not available here. I just know of the two anxiety groups that were already listed, the one through mental health (I think their actual group is during the day, so if a person works, that might be a problem) and the free one that is downtown once a week in the evenings. I've lived here for years and still have yet to see anything new for any mental health services be implemented for.....anything.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

ASTAT is available through Kelowna Mental Health KMH. Dialectical as well as depression, anxiety, and cognitive behavioural therapy, CBT, programs are also available. Staff are helpful, professional, and will gladly answer any questions you may have.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

Ah. I didn't know there was a specific name for the groups they offer. But yeah. Those are available too. Just might be hard for those who work and can't take time off as might be necessary.

Return to “Referrals”